Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #1

Fixing K-50 IBIS

Hey everyone!
I recently picked up a K-50 someone was giving away. The only issue(I thought of course, but as the title of this thread says opposite) was a broken SD Card slot. I managed to fix that as the pins were bent. Now I did do a search to see if someone had fixed my issue but I didn't get results(or I'm terrible at it). You can see
that the system is trying to center itself but it can't. LV mode will show the movements too. It seems like 1/45s when taking pictures show very little signs of blurring, but that's defeating the entire point of having IBIS and it doesn't seem like a way I can disable it(turning off Shake Reduction does nothing). The previous owner told me it fell onto the carpet. Hoping that someone has fixed this issue before- would love to have a weather resistant DSLR compared to my Nikon D5300 so I can worry more about shooting than watching the weather. Thanks

09-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think it's toast. Outside of completely opening it up to see what is actually wrong & being able to hopefully fix it, that's not going to be something that's fixable with a factory reset or things like that. Precision might be able to fix it, but I'm going to guess about a -+$500 quote for that.
09-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That isn't a fix but a replace parts scenario. If you send it in, they will replace parts. Probably not economical as The Squirrel Mafia has suggested.
09-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If the quote learns you that replacing the SR is not worth it, why not fix it by fixating the IBIS? If the camera was for free, there's no financial risk in opening it and putting some glue on the parts that are supposed to move in the SR system. Anyway, good luck with this.

09-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

I seem to recall someone having a similar problem though not necessarily with a K-50. There appears to be no solution other than having the camera serviced. Possibly you could open the camera up and disconnect the power to the sensor movement circuit. However the sensor may just flop around freely after that.

How does the saying go: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth"?
09-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, you guys brought up some good suggestions. I think I'll try the opening the camera and see what's going on route. I'll have some time by the end of this weekend to dissemble and give an update. I'm crossing fingers it's not a total loss
09-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Obviously, photos and some information on the internals and how to get to them would be very much appreciated, if only by fellow K50 users. Again, good luck and I hope this works out.
09-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

So I was unsuccessful at getting to the IBIS. I wouldn't recommend going full teardown unless you're good at soldering and there are a lot of screws with various different sizes. Unless you want a challenge or can't afford buying another DSLR, I would pass on it.

I followed madphys's K-50 / K-500 Aperture Solenoid fix (DIY with pics) guide when doing the teardown. This was my first time opening up a camera.

Besides the foam strips used extensively in the K-50, at the throat of the mount there is a rubber o ring acting as another measure to prevent water Ingres.

This is how the rear PCB looks like. The LCD Screen only has one flex cable going to the PCB. Near the optical viewfinder you can see again the foam strips they've used.

And here's the issue I was hoping to get to, the IBIS. The way Pentax has manufactured it to my guess is that they've assumed it would not fail. For anyone looking for an easy path, you're SOL. The only mitigation I have is to shoot at a faster enough shutter speed (trial and error) until your images have minimum blur.

You can see me here moving it manually here.

Edit: With how people have treated their K-30 & K-50 while reading several forums, am surprised this little amount of protection works great.

Last edited by hayuata; 09-15-2018 at 04:23 PM.
09-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Too bad you weren't able to fix it, but thanks for the write-up and pics of the internals. You didn't consider fixating the thing? Some drops of glue between the plates that are visible in the last picture would have probably fixated them.
09-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hayuata Quote
And here's the issue I was hoping to get to, the IBIS.
Even if had disabled SR by cutting power to the unit this you would run into the problem of somehow fixing the plate that the sensor is attached to with the back plate located at the back side of the SR unit. When current is applied to the SR unit it pushes the sensor plate up against the back plate that has 3 bearings holding the sensor in position to the correct distance from the lens mount., You would have to find someway to push and rest the sensor plate up against it and somehow glue the sensor plate into place.