Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 problem with mode switch

My K-50 won't allow me to select M mode anymore. Tonight I had it set on TAV, I wanted to set it to M mode on the dial but it wouldn't change it, no matter what I did with the dial it still said TAV. So, I pulled the battery, left it out for 30 minutes, put it back in, then it said the battery was dead, which I didn't think it was because I had just switched to a freshly charged battery earlier in the evening and had taken no shots with it. I came inside got a battery I knew was fully charged, put that in.

Then took the battery out and left it that way for a few hours, then installed the fresh battery and turned it on, but it's now stuck in AV mode. I had a AF lens on the front of the camera, so I got a M lens 50mm f2, and put the dial on M mode it would force the camera to change, but not so it's still stuck in AV mode no matter what the dial says. Now I can't even get it to go back to TAV mode for the AF lens I had on there. Grrr!!

Any idea what's going on? It's not showing signs of ABF either.

09-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like there may be an issue with the mode dial if it won't enter M. It should cycle between Av and M with a manual lens.

As for the TAv issue, that's easy- switch off auto ISO
09-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like there may be an issue with the mode dial if it won't enter M. It should cycle between Av and M with a manual lens.

As for the TAv issue, that's easy- switch off auto ISO
I thought about that last after I wrote that about the TAv. :shrug shoulders: LOL

I have some quick drying electronic cleaner I can burst in there to see if it will help the Av and M part. It fixed my K100D when it acted up once.

Thanks Adam.
09-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #4

Sounds like the mode dial needs cleaning/adjustment/replacement.

See this thread:
Pentax K-x will not go to movie mode. - PentaxForums.com

09-22-2018, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam had it. I took it off Auto ISO and it now goes to M mode. I'm good. It was just user error.