Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
I hadn't looked into a "light box" setup like that...it certainly seems to cover all the bases.
Yep...lightbox with low power halogen worklights or electronic flash for illumination. Ditch the fluorescents and avoid domestic household LED.

I use indirect flash from two speedlights bounced from a couple of large reflectors.

Steve

11-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the suggestions, y'all. I will stop cussin' at my K-30 and heed the good advice. As soon as I get the money for this month's bills squared away, I will spring for one of the 4-LED light box setups. Yah, things are too tight for comfort, so I have to be strategic about every penny I spend right now.

But I am sure getting one of these setups will take everything to the next level, literally. Taking and processing the photos has been the biggest, most time-consuming thing in all this. From the screenshot you can see why...SO many shots just to get one useable, and sometimes I would take a bunch and in processing realize I would have to go back and reshoot one or two things because of the Dreaded Yellow Bars.

And I guess I should get the "Unintentional Masochist Award" for persevering with those poor old Dazors enough over the last year to have made a few hundred sales with the photos I got from 'em. But yeah, it was certainly an unnecessarily painful process, to say the least! With one of those setups, I'm sure that will cut the time down significantly, once I figure out the basics of using it.

Thanks again. I need to go apologize to my K-30. I called is some really bad names last night....lol.
11-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But I am sure getting one of these setups will take everything to the next level, literally. Taking and processing the photos has been the biggest, most time-consuming thing in all this. From the screenshot you can see why...SO many shots just to get one useable

Yeah, try to get a simple, repeatable setup, Beebs. You can go for a flat, all-on-white look (a lightbox helps with that) or deliberately put in shadows to make the product three-dimensional. This uses a flash and softbox on one side, but you can turn off various LEDs and take away translucent white panels as needed to get a similar feel.

11-15-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nice results...thanks for the inspiration! I am looking forward to getting one of these and learning how to use it.

11-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #20

Nice results...thanks for the inspiration! I am looking forward to getting one of these and learning how to use it.
There are lots of ideas on the net for a diy lightbox. I built one with pvc pipe and an old white sheet that I modified. I use a couple of flashlights and desk lights that I have on hand and it works well. May be worth looking at if you are trying to save money.

John.
11-26-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
A whole 'nuther world...

Well, my little setup got here today. Best $48.98 I ever spent in my life. Hands down.

I set it up quickly, and got the four little lights set up, sorta played around with placement and the background. I ended up paper-clipping the fabric that I normally use as a background to the little loops by the velcro fasteners at the back corners. Works perfectly.

Grabbed one of my radios and put two lights on the top, one on the side, and one aimed obliquely away from the radio but still aimed inside the tent.

I took like five shots in quick succession. Looked through them, dreading what I would find.

Every. Single. One. was almost perfect. Sure, a tiny tweak with the sliders on the levels, maybe, but that would be all that was necessary. The color is DEAD-ON perfect, so much so it was kinda un-nerving. That's with just the little LEDs without the two color filters. No color adjustment...no "how do I get rid of the awful yellow cast on this otherwise perfect shot?" and then 20 minutes of experimenting with various settings and sliders before giving up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

So I just wanted to say "THANK YOU ALL FOR POINTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!" I just put up with those poor old Dazors for a year because I thought "real photography lights" would set me back hundreds. This is truly gonna change everything, and hopefully allow me to take this eBay thing to the next level.

A whole 'nuther world, indeed. Thank's y'all.