Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Eye-Fi compatibility with K-50 (which card?)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Good day folks!

I'm afraid I have a bit of noob question that has kinda-sorta been answered before, but I didn't want to necro an old thread - so sorry in advance if it's already been covered in depth, but I can't seem to find up-to-date info!

So, I have a K-50 and I love it - I plugged my Wi-Fi SD card in, a FlashAir W-04 and off I went a-shooting!

The Flashair works off the phone or PC and I can transfer files across - brilliant - but I would like some of the more useful eye-fi features that the camera supports: but it looks like I've hit a snag.

According to the Flashair W-04 manual,
QuoteQuote:
"With the FlashAir W-04 card, among the Eyefi Connected features, only the power control feature and the card's wireless LAN ON/OFF switching feature are available. It cannot automatically forward images and videos"
"Wow" - I thought - that's kinda useless! I mean, great that it's stopping the camera turning off... buuuuuuuut.... alright, fair enough, should have read the fine print!

So! The question remains, which eye-fi compatible SD cards would provide the full gamut of features (see Page 228 of the manual), that doesn't cost the earth? Do any of the "cheap" devices like the EZShare or the Canon wifi cards work with it, or am I stuck with my default-but-perfectly-workable flash-air interface?

11-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
default-but-perfectly-workable flash-air interface?
I think the K-50 only natively supports the enhanced functionality of Eye-if (brand) cards. With other cards you'll be getting the default functionality only.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the K-50 only natively supports the enhanced functionality of Eye-if (brand) cards. With other cards you'll be getting the default functionality only.
Hmm - oh well! I seem to be having trouble finding a reputable supplier of the Eye-fi cards; ebay seems to be a mixed bag of secondhand at mostly decent prices, and new at mostly extortionate prices (I saw one for £150 + £50 P&P (because, of course, no courier would ship a small package cheaply with tracking for anything less than £50 [sarcasm]))

Guess I'll be sticking with the FlashAir just now - as I said, it's perfectly serviceable - was just curious if there was something else that'd give me more functionality! Don't suppose you might know any reputable supplies of Eye-Fi cards in the UK? (that don't charge £50 P&P!)
03-22-2019, 02:53 AM   #4

I recently picked up a new 32gb eye-fi card from ebay for a decent price. Its just a case of keep checking and one will turn up.

06-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by epic999 Quote
I recently picked up a new 32gb eye-fi card from ebay for a decent price. Its just a case of keep checking and one will turn up.
Hi @epic999
Does the WiFi functionality work on your eye-fi card?
06-19-2020, 01:36 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by 2old4toys Quote
Hi @epic999
Does the WiFi functionality work on your eye-fi card?
The card worked perfectly in my K50. I have now upgraded to a K70 and sold the card on eBay.