Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

K-50 - focus mode stuck in manual

I have a K-50 which is approximately 3 years old. A few months ago I experienced the aperture block issue, which is well documented here. Fortunately I was able to open up the camera and repair that myself.

Soon after that (perhaps 1-2 weeks), the autofocus on the camera stopped working. Although the dial on the exterior of the camera is set to AF.S, the camera is stuck in manual focus mode. When I remove the lens, I can see that the screw which drives the autofocus is depressed in the interior lens ring. The exterior dial is also stuck on either the the AF.S or C setting - I cannot rotate it to the MF setting (well maybe I can, but I don't want to force any harder than I have already tried).

Is this an issue anyone has ever come across? Is there a simple fix for this? I've tried fully charging the battery, using three different lenses. I also can't find any threads documenting the same issue.

Any help would be much appreciated. Although I can still take pictures , having to manually focus all the time is not ideal.

12-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't recall a problem such as you describe, though it sounds like there is a mechanical jam of some sort. Is there any chance this might be related to your self-repair effort?

Steve
12-24-2018, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I would speculate that the AF dial on the body wasn't lined up properly with the switch on the chassis. Then it slipped out completely into a position where it jammed. Opening the case again and checking the switch positions seems like a reasonable option to me.
12-24-2018, 01:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar problem to this in an old *ist DL. I fixed it by opening the body and the pin fell back into place. Reassembled and it is now fine.

Regards

Chris

12-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #5

Same issue on K5

I had exact same issue on my K5 shortly after replacing the lens release button - camera registering manual focus, af button stuck on af-s. It happened on day 2 of a 5 week tour of Iceland & Greenland so was a tad inconvenient as I had to wait until I got home to make the fix. Figuring that I hadn't got the af lever positioned properly on reassembling the camera, I took the camera apart and lifted the front off just enough until I could easily move the af button - luckily I didn't have to completely remove the front as I wasn't looking forward to fiddling with the lens release button spring again! Then replaced the front & rest of body, testing the af button at each stage to make sure it was working properly. That was 3 months ago & camera working fine after another thousand shots or so since. Hope this helps.
12-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would speculate that the AF dial on the body wasn't lined up properly with the switch on the chassis. Then it slipped out completely into a position where it jammed. Opening the case again and checking the switch positions seems like a reasonable option to me.
↑ This IMO.