Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

K-50 - focus mode stuck in manual

I have a K-50 which is approximately 3 years old. A few months ago I experienced the aperture block issue, which is well documented here. Fortunately I was able to open up the camera and repair that myself.

Soon after that (perhaps 1-2 weeks), the autofocus on the camera stopped working. Although the dial on the exterior of the camera is set to AF.S, the camera is stuck in manual focus mode. When I remove the lens, I can see that the screw which drives the autofocus is depressed in the interior lens ring. The exterior dial is also stuck on either the the AF.S or C setting - I cannot rotate it to the MF setting (well maybe I can, but I don't want to force any harder than I have already tried).

Is this an issue anyone has ever come across? Is there a simple fix for this? I've tried fully charging the battery, using three different lenses. I also can't find any threads documenting the same issue.

Any help would be much appreciated. Although I can still take pictures , having to manually focus all the time is not ideal.

12-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't recall a problem such as you describe, though it sounds like there is a mechanical jam of some sort. Is there any chance this might be related to your self-repair effort?

Steve
12-24-2018, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #3

I would speculate that the AF dial on the body wasn't lined up properly with the switch on the chassis. Then it slipped out completely into a position where it jammed. Opening the case again and checking the switch positions seems like a reasonable option to me.
12-24-2018, 01:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar problem to this in an old *ist DL. I fixed it by opening the body and the pin fell back into place. Reassembled and it is now fine.

Regards

Chris

12-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #5

Same issue on K5

I had exact same issue on my K5 shortly after replacing the lens release button - camera registering manual focus, af button stuck on af-s. It happened on day 2 of a 5 week tour of Iceland & Greenland so was a tad inconvenient as I had to wait until I got home to make the fix. Figuring that I hadn't got the af lever positioned properly on reassembling the camera, I took the camera apart and lifted the front off just enough until I could easily move the af button - luckily I didn't have to completely remove the front as I wasn't looking forward to fiddling with the lens release button spring again! Then replaced the front & rest of body, testing the af button at each stage to make sure it was working properly. That was 3 months ago & camera working fine after another thousand shots or so since. Hope this helps.
12-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would speculate that the AF dial on the body wasn't lined up properly with the switch on the chassis. Then it slipped out completely into a position where it jammed. Opening the case again and checking the switch positions seems like a reasonable option to me.
↑ This IMO.
02-18-2019, 02:27 AM   #7

Focus dial problem on my K30

"I would speculate that the AF dial on the body wasn't lined up properly with the switch on the chassis. Then it slipped out completely into a position where it jammed. Opening the case again and checking the switch positions seems like a reasonable option to me"

I think I have the same problem with my K30. The focus mode is stuck on M , even if the switch is on AF. I took of the kit WR lens and than put it back and the focus works until I move the switch focus to manual mode. The mode remains on manual after that. I think its a mechanical problem, but maybe I can rezolve it, and not to be forced to go on service shop. Thnks

---------- Post added 02-18-19 at 02:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Can you be more specific?

06-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

I am having this exact same problem with my K-50. Is there a fix for this?
06-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by dmnzim80 Quote
Can you be more specific?
I suggest you look at the thread on replacing the aperture solenoid on the K-30/50 as it gives detailed instructions on how ensure proper placement of the switches. Basically there is a cutout on the external switch/lever and a corresponding tab on the internal switch. If they are not aligned so the tab fits in the cutout when you put the case on the switch won't function properly.
06-10-2020, 02:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is in most cases misalignement of the external and internal parts of the AFS-C-M switch. Particular with the K30/50/500 and those 3 positions this can easely happen, even if it might have worked for a short time.

Particularely because you have repaired it and had the front off, this is almost certainly the case.
But what can happen is that when the mechanism is stuck internally in AFS position but jammed, that the AF-motor can get hurt.

You find it explained in the tutorial I wrote (step 4 etc.), here the photos of those two parts of the switch:

1. The inner part of the switch with its 3 possible positions:
(note, there is a bearing-ball which can cause problems if lost, happened once to a member here repairing his K-S2)

2. The lever which switches those 3 positions and has to be aligned exactly with this inner part of pict.1:

You can see, that the screwdrive-mechanism is out, i.e. in AFS or C position!

Alignement must be done either in AFS or M position.
I prefer AFS position

The rod (red arrow pict.1) has to slip into the U-shaped part (bottom arrow pict.2)
06-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #11

Thank you for the great information. I’ve decided to get it professionally fixed.