Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Success. It took almost two hours but a lot of that was dealing with the black wire attached to the mount. The photo idea for the screws was spot on.
Well done.
That black wire never got lose with any Pentax, but there is always a first time

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Yes, I agree, but being old and increasingly wobbly I avoid taking sharp objects near cosmetic areas!
Then soldering the solenoid would be even more wobbly
A flathead Vessel 0.8mm is not sharp!

Anyway, this is a tutorial, we can exchange good ways how to do things:

When somebody asks for directions, one tells "go right" if right is were one has to drive/walk.
One doesn't say "Don't go left"... !

05-09-2022, 08:35 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well done.
That black wire never got lose with any Pentax, but there is always a first time
That black wire became detached before I even touched the solenoid. I think it is single strand which is more prone to breaking than multi strand. I had to carefully scrape away the insulation using a small blade on my Swiss Army Knife with the wire resting on the blade of a kitchen knife before reattaching it.

05-24-2022, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #153

Photos: Gallery
I don't want Photogem saying "I told you so" but I've proved him right again! I wrote earlier that I had replaced the solenoid in my K30 with one from an MZ and it seemed to work OK. I found, after longer testing, that it worked 99%.but the 1% was just irritating: after being left unused for a day or two the first frame afterwards would be black then the following frames were exposed correctly. I then bought a failed DS which I hoped to revive but which proved to be unsaveable: so here were the solenoids I needed. I used the DS flash solenoid, reasoning that it had had the least use of the two and yes, did the job all over again. This time it's 100% so another "thank you" to Photogem for sharing the benefits of his experience!
05-26-2022, 12:07 AM - 2 Likes   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't want Photogem saying "I told you so"
"I told you so" (of course meant as a joke!)

.... but I've proved him right again! I wrote earlier that I had replaced the solenoid in my K30 with one from an MZ and it seemed to work OK. I found, after longer testing, that it worked 99%.
But the 1% was just irritating: After being left unused for a day or two the first frame afterwards would be black then the following frames were exposed correctly.
I then bought a failed DS which I hoped to revive but which proved to be unsaveable: So here were the solenoids I needed. I used the DS flash solenoid, reasoning that it had had the least use of the two and yes, did the job all over again.
Yes, the flash solenoid would have been used less but I had solenoids from defunct K20D's with a very high shuttercount (can't remember the number anymore but it was really high) and the solenoids still work perfectly.

As you might have read in other threads:

We never ever had a white Japan DSLR solenoid failing in all those older Pentax DSLR bodies. Of course there might be a tiny amount of unreported ones. I guess it was the same applies to all solenoids since the "Pentax Super-A" when it was introduced but this was pre-internet-times. Member reh321 often has mentioned that his Super-Program (which followed the Super-A) never failed.

This time it's 100% so another "thank you" to Photogem for sharing the benefits of his experience!
You are welcome and I think it is very valuable so thanks that you post it here!