Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Usually one cuts the wire off deeper down to extend it and insulates it with shrink-tubing. You have now a very tight wire which through that tension might break again.
Thanks for the additional information photogem. When I was looking at your details again I realised that I forgot to add the 'locking nail varnish' to the solenoid screw so I've got to open the camera up again to fix that. I'll also do what you suggest and extend the ground lead while I'm in there.

02-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Finally got around to replacing the green solenoid in my K50 today. So far, my K30 has been fine.

I followed Photogem's instructions which I'd made sure I understood before starting, and gathered the necessary tools together. I was slightly surprised, having harvested white solenoids from iST DL and K-x cameras, just how easy it was to access the solenoid - more open than in the earlier bodies.

The camera seems to work properly although it was only ever the first shot which was dark.

Just a couple of comments:-

1) The screw holding the solenoid in place and partly covered in a lacquer was much tighter than those in the cameras I'd previously opened, to the extent I wasn't sure it was going to move. If I hadn't had the correct JIS screwdrivers, I think the head might have become "chewed".

2) The tweezers I had were too large to hold the wires in place whilst soldering to the replacement solenoid. Make sure your tweezers are of a modest size, particularly the width. I'm used to soldering so I was able to hold the wires sufficiently steady using a small flat head screwdriver. I have smaller tweezers but couldn't find them.

I feel confident now that if the K30 "falls over" I can fix it without too much difficulty.

Thanks Photogem for all your efforts on this topic.
02-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #93
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've deleted some off-topic posts. This thread is for advice as to replacement of the solenoid, specifically the choice of solenoid. It is not a thread for "I think the filing method works as well".
We {at least most of us} understand that, but the question may become whether any 'fix' is appropriate.
I got several lenses with aperture-rings and set aperture on the lens.
If Pentax releases a few more KAF4 lenses, modifying the firmware will also become a feasible way of having the K-30 body control the aperture seamlessly.
But you are right about the topic of this thread, so I will say nothing more of that other subject on this thread.
02-04-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
The screw holding the solenoid in place and partly covered in a lacquer was much tighter than those in the cameras I'd previously opened, to the extent I wasn't sure it was going to move. If I hadn't had the correct JIS screwdrivers, I think the head might have become "chewed".
JIS is of course the best. Sometimes the thread-locking-laquer covers the screw that badly, that the tip of your screwdriver just won't get a grip.
Then one needs to wash it off with alcohol which takes time but works.

2) The tweezers I had were too large to hold the wires in place whilst soldering to the replacement solenoid. Make sure your tweezers are of a modest size, particularly the width. I'm used to soldering so I was able to hold the wires sufficiently steady using a small flat head screwdriver. I have smaller tweezers but couldn't find them.
A good source is ebay, for example this kind which I like very much:
THUMB DRESSING FORCEP TISSUE HOLDING TWEEZER 16CM SERRATED TIP SURGICAL STEEL CE | eBay

I feel confident now that if the K30 "falls over" I can fix it without too much difficulty.
Thanks Photogem for all your efforts on this topic.
You're welcome and yes, if your K30 shall develop the dark-image-syndrome, then you tackle it with ease, JIS and matching tweezers.
I like good tools and my favourite pliers are from Xuron:
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/sra-soldering-products/TLXURON45...0S-ND/10708336

02-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #95

Photos: Albums
Is there anyone doing the repair service with a "white" solenoid? And/or a reliable source for the proper solenoid? There are tons of listings on Ebay but how to know if they're legit...
02-17-2021, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Is there anyone doing the repair service with a "white" solenoid? And/or a reliable source for the proper solenoid? There are tons of listings on Ebay but how to know if they're legit...
I can do the repair with a white solenoid, but it will proberly be to expensive posting it to Denmark.
02-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
This is the only one which is real inbetween those tons of false solenoids:
eBay Nr.: 322337505674
Otherwise:
DSLR Pentax bodies with solenoid - PentaxForums.com
Good luck in finding somebody and yes, shipping costs to/from Europe are very high plus the problem of customs.
One would have to supply proof and fill out forms for such a repair.