Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by naatti Quote
Thank you very much for the excellent description!
I had to change the solenoid on a Pentax K-70. The replacement was a complete success. I encourage anyone who has the technical know-how and installation experience not to be afraid to replace it. Best regards, everyone! Attila
Well done and congratulations!

And too bad that it seems to happen a bit more now with the K70.

11-07-2019, 01:42 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well done and congratulations!

And too bad that it seems to happen a bit more now with the K70.
Thank you for the praise, yes, unfortunately it was a bad surprise for me too. At two years old, the Pentax should pay more attention to quality because of such a long-standing bug. I don't understand how to pass on an obvious mistake from generation to generation.
Sincerely, Attila
11-07-2019, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Replaced my K-30 with a K-70 last December, last night I got out the K-30 to try it after it sat dormant and it has the aperture problem.

I never use it but feel the need to fix it, might look for a broken old DSLR to get the white solenoid. I'm well adept working with electronics.

The cheap chinese garbage solenoids on ebay aren't worth taking the camera apart nor are they worth the money. I couldn't sell a camera on with one of those in it...

"Principles is principles"
11-07-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good attitude! Plus: the K-30 is still worth it. Of course the K-70 is better but the K30 was one of the best in handling.

11-08-2019, 02:30 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Replaced my K-30 with a K-70 last December, last night I got out the K-30 to try it after it sat dormant and it has the aperture problem.

I never use it but feel the need to fix it, might look for a broken old DSLR to get the white solenoid. I'm well adept working with electronics.

The cheap chinese garbage solenoids on ebay aren't worth taking the camera apart nor are they worth the money. I couldn't sell a camera on with one of those in it...

"Principles is principles"
Bravo! I wish everyone was like this! We would live in a different world.
11-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by naatti Quote
Thank you for the praise, yes, unfortunately it was a bad surprise for me too. At two years old, the Pentax should pay more attention to quality because of such a long-standing bug. I don't understand how to pass on an obvious mistake from generation to generation.
Sincerely, Attila
Those who have opened both cameras tell us that the design has changed - the K-70 has this problem much less often than the K-30/50 did. The system passes testing at the time it is made, but it ages in such a way that they sometimes fail as they get older. My "Super Program" that I purchased in 1983 still have a working aperture control system, so the solenoid can age appropriately, but apparently the recent ones do not.
11-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bought a broken donor camera

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Good attitude! Plus: the K-30 is still worth it. Of course the K-70 is better but the K30 was one of the best in handling.
Yesterday I bought a broken *ist DL2 with 18-55 kit lens for really cheap on the auction site, just over £10 GBP

So due to the great information here I believe this has 2 white solenoids so I can fix K-30 plus have another as a spare for my K-70 if ever needed.

2x white solenoids imported from ebay USA would have cost me around £120-130 GBP... Around 150 US dollars!

Looking forward to fixing it

11-11-2019, 02:07 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Yesterday I bought a broken *ist DL2 with 18-55 kit lens for really cheap on the auction site, just over £10 GBP

So due to the great information here I believe this has 2 white solenoids so I can fix K-30 plus have another as a spare for my K-70 if ever needed.

2x white solenoids imported from ebay USA would have cost me around £120-130 GBP... Around 150 US dollars!

Looking forward to fixing it
Good luck

anyway: There is no resistor in the ciruit which can get damaged.

Thats an invention!
11-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #54

Hi, I am daring for two days with the black fotos issue in a K50. The solution presented by Photogem seems to be the best one. I would like to do that but I dont trust my capability to do so a precision job. I wanted to ask you if there is any technician doing the replacement of the green solenoide for the whiteone. Thanks a lot.
11-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #55

Hello! I was scared of the task too. But he would have been a fitter by far, so I started. I also watched a Youtube video and did the job.
(
)
Remove the battery one day before installation. I covered the condenser with a paper towel to avoid accidentally touching it. It will work anyway. Soldering is no big deal, just do it fast, don't overheat the solenoid. Practice soldering first if you are uncertain.
When assembling, pay attention to the position of the AF-Manual switch. And done.
Hi, Attila

---------- Post added 11-18-19 at 01:57 PM ----------

Hello! In the video, I now look at filing soleonid, it is not recommended, it is not a durable solution. I changed it.
Hi! Attila

---------- Post added 11-18-19 at 02:10 PM ----------

Hello! In the video I am now watching how to rasp the soleonide. Its not recommended in the forum, its not a durable solution. I replaced the solenoid.
11-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #56

Thank you, Naatti, for your tips and animo. I will try it.

I've just ordered a white solenoid for 45 USD.
11-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good luck,
make sure you take all steps in the right order.
The K50 has some minor difference for the plastic door which covers the USB connector.
You have to take the complete plastic grip off, it looks like this:

You can see this square metal part which is glued into the grip but sometimes falls off so don't lose it.

This plastic USB door is hooked onto a nose on the front part, so you lift it to entangle it and when you assemble the camera after you finished exchanging the solenoid you first push this part through the hole again and pull it over this nose. See here:

This and the screws under the popup flash (2screws for the K50, 3 x for the K30) is the only difference.
Also you have that bit more space for the solenoid wires which is good.

Most important when re-assembling: Check the AF-M switch as described in my manual.
You don't want to miss this! Because if forgotten, the inner part of the switch moves and then those 2 parts won't connect:

Last edited by photogem; 11-26-2019 at 04:24 AM.
11-20-2019, 12:17 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by fergarmol Quote
Thank you, Naatti, for your tips and animo. I will try it.

I've just ordered a white solenoid for 45 USD.
Good luck with your work!
Then you describe your experience.
11-23-2019, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #59

Thank you, Photogem, for the advice. Now, just waiting for the new solenoid. I will report my experience. Regards.
11-26-2019, 04:17 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have revised the manual and added new photos to make things more clear.