Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2019, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #61

Finally, I just have been enjoying a repation evening. I followed all the steps of Photogem's guide and, although my total inexperience in such fine work, I am very glad to tell you that my K50 is alive again. It takes fotos so clear and sharp like before.
Thank you to all the people of this great forum and specialy to Photogem for your kindness sharing your knwoledge.

12-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fergarmol Quote
Finally, I just have been enjoying a repair-evening. I followed all the steps of Photogem's guide and, although my total inexperience in such fine work, I am very glad to tell you that my K50 is alive again. It takes fotos so clear and sharp like before.
Thank you to all the people of this great forum and specially to Photogem for your kindness sharing your knowledge.
You are more than welcome and particular: Well done! It shows that somebody completly unexperienced to this kind of work can do it.

"Once it is shouldered it is light"
12-15-2019, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #63

Great instructions! The photos you have posted make it very easy and my K30 now works like new again.

I was concerned about doing such microscopic soldering but, after borrowing my nephew's SainSmart Pro32 iron, it was quite easy. I got a bit stuck on the rubber USB cap - my K30 has one but perhaps not all versions do.

My only suggestion for improvement: there are two photos of the left side but none of the right side!
12-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spartan34 Quote
Great instructions! The photos you have posted make it very easy and my K30 now works like new again.
You're welcome, that's what it was meant for!
I was concerned about doing such microscopic soldering but, after borrowing my nephew's SainSmart Pro32 iron, it was quite easy.
Yes, looks like a good soldering iron, similar to the NovelLife Mini TS100.
I got a bit stuck on the rubber USB cap - my K30 has one but perhaps not all versions do.
All K30's have that cap. This USB cap is easy to deal with if you take the complete -rubber-grip off.
Otherwise the USB cap will be stuck between the back-side (with the display) and the front.
As soon as the grip is completly off, it is straight forward. Also "glues" easely back on into position.
My only suggestion for improvement: there are two photos of the left side but none of the right side!
Already changed, thanks. I had changed most photos to better ones and didn't notice afterwards.

12-22-2019, 08:26 PM - 2 Likes   #65

Hi,

thank you for the instructions. Was able to repair my daughter's K50. It was easier than expected. I printed the picture as suggested and it was a real helper to place the screws on.

Thank you and have a nice holiday!
03-01-2020, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #66

My Pentax K50 had the Dark Photo issue in late 2019. I was hesitant to pay the money to get it repaired at a shop because of the expense and all.
I did buy Pentax's KP camera as a replacement for the K50, I had several lenses for the K50 already and didn't want to start all over again.
I started to follow this forum seeing several ways to fix or attempt to fix my K50.
I took the plunge, after what I had read here from phtotgem I purchased the white solenoid from eBay for around $45 dollars USA. I had some time today to attempt the install.
I followed photogem's instructions, and everything went pretty well, it took me about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish. I hadn't opened the Pentax K50 case prior, I didn't think the wires were that small. It helps to have very small screwdrivers and a pair of tweezers or two. I had a pair of forceps that were helpful.
But the soldering wasn't that bad to my surprise. I used an old 25-watt soldering iron I had around with a conical tip, nothing fancy at all. Soldering irons like the one I used are on eBay for less than $10 dollars USA.
I placed the charged battery back in the camera, and to my delight.....it works! I now have a great second camera for about $50 dollars, and some satisfaction fixing it myself.
Thanks so much for your instructions photogem......
03-02-2020, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well done! (and to spelletier and to all those I haven't mentioned this as well of course!)
There are USB soldering pens or soldering irons with fine tips on amazon and ebay.

I have never tried those but guess they should work fine.

From China or Hongkong very cheap but deliverytime can be a problem.

I think so as well: One can and shall be proud having accomplished such a repair.

04-11-2020, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #68

Hi,

Thanks to this forum and thread I have now successfully completed the solenoid replacement with one from a used donor K100 sourced from eBay.

All went well up to me shearing one of the newly soldered wires while putting the front back on. Well I soldered it on the side of the solenoid, (there are two solder points per side) as the thread mentioned.

Had to do a reset and after that it's been faultless.

Thanks again.

Scott
Attached Images

04-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well done and very neat soldering joints!
04-11-2020, 08:19 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear of another white solenoid repair, the only way if you ask me, I did it too.

A tip for you... I hot glued the solder joints and wires and tied the wires back to stop any possible breakages on reassembly and in the future.

I used hot glue for direct soldering of components when building loudspeaker crossovers without using PCBs so I had a few sticks and a glue gun in my electronics toolbox.

I'll be selling this K-30 with white solenoid shortly as it is never used, If I was a buyer I'd pay a higher price as very few have a white solenoid.
05-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The idea of glueing is good, for me myself not really important:

- First I always allow a tiny amound of my very fine soldering-tin to melt on both pins of the solenoid before I even install it
- Then the same to the bare end wires which were soldered off the green solenoid.

- I just hold one wire with tweezers to the first pin, very short tough with the pencil-tip of the soldering-iron, the tin melts, one just is absolutly still and maybe counts to 2 and the solder has hardened.
Same the other wire/pin

But this question arouse: How on earth to you glue with such a large tool?
Or do you just let the glue melt and transport it to the wires?
05-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The idea of glueing is good, for me myself not really important:

- First I always allow a tiny amound of my very fine soldering-tin to melt on both pins of the solenoid before I even install it
- Then the same to the bare end wires which were soldered off the green solenoid.

- I just hold one wire with tweezers to the first pin, very short tough with the pencil-tip of the soldering-iron, the tin melts, one just is absolutly still and maybe counts to 2 and the solder has hardened.
Same the other wire/pin

But this question arouse: How on earth to you glue with such a large tool?
Or do you just let the glue melt and transport it to the wires?
Haha I didn't use the hot glue gun, just melted some with the soldering iron and transported it to where the wires were originally tied in place with tape, basically a mechanical fixing to stop the wires possibly moving and stressing the solder joints.

I first started electronics and learned how to solder in school, I loved it, most of the other pupils were so bad at soldering but I was in my element. A tech geek always and still am. I hate those solder free products, mechanically fixed and soldered will never fail.

The K-30 will be on ebay soon and I am advertising it promoting the white solenoid, it's a guarantee that it won't fail and in my mind worth more than a K-30 which hasn't failed yet!
07-08-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another success

Followed instructions to the (printed!) letter on a K30 bought off Ebay with the known fault present. Happened to have a "spares" *ist DSL bought to repair my old *ist and it had the white solenoid. It's all a bit tiny for 76 year old eyes to work on, but years of hobby electronics from younger days helped, everything went smoothly and after a bit of messing round, I now have what seems to be a fully functional K30. Only thing now is that it makes me very dissatisfied with the "kit" lens that came with the S/H *ist and so am wondering what is the best price/quality combination as a replacement.
Grateful thanks to the author for an excellent guide to what should really be a totally unnecessary repair.
07-08-2020, 09:09 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dickmethlick Quote
so am wondering what is the best price/quality combination as a replacement.
Best replacement lenses are the DA 16-85 or the DA 18-135. Either is a huge step up. 16-85 is a bit sharper around the edges and goes a bit wider. 18-135 has a longer reach. I use the 16-85 my wife uses the 18-135. Some days she gets the best shot, some days I do.
07-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Best replacement lenses are the DA 16-85 or the DA 18-135. Either is a huge step up. 16-85 is a bit sharper around the edges and goes a bit wider. 18-135 has a longer reach. I use the 16-85 my wife uses the 18-135. Some days she gets the best shot, some days I do.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would love to take the advice, but TEN times the cost of the K30 is a bit steep on a pension!