Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-30-First the Aperture Blok-Now Green Button Died & Camera Freezes Up!!

My K-30 developed the aperture block failure at about 5500 shutter actuations. I decided to use it for a body dedicated to older manual aperture lenses and have been shooting with it since March. A few days ago, at around 6450 shutter actuations the camera wouldn't respond to pressing the Green Button. I removed and reinstalled the battery fixing the issue.

Tuesday I was taking a few photos and the K-30 locked-up. The camera was one, the displays were working however the shutter wouldn't fire and the camera would not power down. After repeated attempts to turn the camera off, I removed the battery, a different one than when I had the previous issue, and the camera reset when I reinstalled it.

Today, the Green Button decided to work only intermittently! One series of photos it would work, the next-no matter how many presses-nothing. I did the remove and reinstall battery trick several times. Sometimes it would get the green button working. This afternoon the camera locked-up again. had to dump the battery out and reinstall. Then the Green Button quit working completely. I was also having issues with the Catch-In-Focus not firing the shutter too. So now I have a completely useless K-30 with under 6800 shutter actuations.

Has anyone else had similar issues with a K-30/50 with the bad aperture block?

05-09-2019, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like this could be a battery voltage issue, which can make camera act unpredictably. Is the battery old or a third-party model?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had electrical issues with my K1 recently, the screen would freeze and the camera would not power off. Only removing the battery would solve it , but only temporarily. Had to go back to Pentax for a new electrics board.
05-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like this could be a battery voltage issue, which can make camera act unpredictably. Is the battery old or a third-party model?
Well, both were genuine Pentax batteries. I have Wasabi Power and another generic set. All have worked fine in my K-s2. I'll try different batteries and tLithium AA's in the batter adapter. I can't wait until finances permit so I can buy a new KP or K3ii. I'd like to take this K-30 to the shooting range and dispatch it with my .30-06 rifle.

05-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I'd like to take this K-30 to the shooting range and dispatch it with my .30-06 rifle.
Post the pics if you do.

But I am sorry to hear about your problems. That is really not very many shutter actuations.
05-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, it is not a battery issue causing the Green Button to stop working. It intermittently just stops responding with any battery, new, old, fully charged or half discharged. Iím pretty sure the button contacts are ether loose or broken somehow.
I want the darn thing to work because the K-30 seems to give me better images with my older non-digital lenses than my K-s2.
05-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had something similar once with a K10D. Of course no aperture-block-problem but otherwise pretty similar to what you wrote about. It was all about contact problems of pretty much all buttons and the 4-way controller often not doing anything. I took all apart, cleaned everything... and I had to use several tricks to have some parts fixed more tightly. It worked finally but it was a lot of work involved.

But because I remember that you can't undertake DIY yourself, I would recommend to sell your K30 on ebay or similar describing the faults.
Then find out if somebody would sell you a repaired K30 with the white solenoid (or a K50).
05-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I had something similar once with a K10D. Of course no aperture-block-problem but otherwise pretty similar to what you wrote about. It was all about contact problems of pretty much all buttons and the 4-way controller often not doing anything. I took all apart, cleaned everything... and I had to use several tricks to have some parts fixed more tightly. It worked finally but it was a lot of work involved.

But because I remember that you can't undertake DIY yourself, I would recommend to sell your K30 on ebay or similar describing the faults.
Then find out if somebody would sell you a repaired K30 with the white solenoid (or a K50).
I'm thinking about going with a used K-3 or K-5ii or K-5iis.