Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool stuff. Great pictures.

05-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cool stuff. Great pictures.
My ks2 was manufactured in May of 2017, and it failed as well.
05-30-2020, 03:10 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a true horor story. it shows a firm with very little quality control and a bad morale. A decent firm had taken hands on the problem, stopped using and given free exchange of the green soleonid.
I have a K30 with problems and a KP. My first KP was replaced after a few months.. The actual KP is good - hope it lasts - if you can overlook the imprecise pdaf.
Following several threads I now know that I am asking for too much of the pdaf.
BUT my impression is that the rate of succes was better on the K 30.
Together with a freind we have tested the rate of succes on his Nikon 800. It was not impressing either.
I dont know if the Pentax morale is worse than other firms- I doubt. The factories make cameras for the shareholders, not the photographers.
I love and use the m 42 Pentaxes
05-30-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
The factories make cameras for the shareholders, not the photographers.
And the May 2020 award for barmy business commentary goes to the above quote.

05-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #20
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a true horor story. it shows a firm with very little quality control and a bad morale. A decent firm had taken hands on the problem, stopped using and given free exchange of the green soleonid.
I have a K30 with problems and a KP. My first KP was replaced after a few months.. The actual KP is good - hope it lasts - if you can overlook the imprecise pdaf.
Following several threads I now know that I am asking for too much of the pdaf.
BUT my impression is that the rate of succes was better on the K 30.
Together with a freind we have tested the rate of succes on his Nikon 800. It was not impressing either.
I dont know if the Pentax morale is worse than other firms- I doubt. The factories make cameras for the shareholders, not the photographers.
I love and use the m 42 Pentaxes
This is a very bald comment.

What do you mean by "success"?
What were symptoms of the first KP?
Was the first KP replaced under warranty??
What does your experience with a KP have to do with these words about the solenoid???
05-31-2020, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is a true horor story. it shows a firm with very little quality control and a bad morale.
Not so easy, but it is very easy to judge:
As I wrote in my first post, the green China solenoid was tested for several years in the K100D, K110D, K200D, Km, Kx and Kr.
But only in the flash circuit, maybe because exchanging it if it would fail would be easier and faster than the one used for aperture control.
It never failed there!

So they felt it would be save to use it for aperture control as well because stock of the Japan-Solenoid was running short.

It was only after about 1 year when the first faults turned up, often under warranty, so one hardly heard of the problem.
Then it was said that the complete diaphragm-control-board was replaced, I heard different, i.e. they just replaced the camera, because exchanging the diaphragm-control-unit takes many hours to do so, it is more work than to replace the sensor! When we had the K5 sensor stains, as far as I know Pentax replaced the complete camera on warranty!

I have disassembled a K30 once to replace this unit, the steps can be studied here at the end of my first post
That's why I am also very weary when people tell me they disassembled their Pentax completly to get to this unit.

Anyway, the rest is explained in my first post in this thread and in many countries Ricoh did offer good solutions outside warranty times. Not always but hell.... there are similar stories of 1001+ other companies.
05-31-2020, 05:50 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

StiffLegged
My point is that companies primare goal is profit, costumer care is executied if it is profitable in the long run. The companies are not interested in the costumers, they are interested in our money.

reh321

I Mean the rate of af presicion.

My first KP was the first in Denmark, it came from Sweden I bought it because the K30 became unrealibel, did not know of the solenoid problems.
The problems were AF and batterilife. The camera was sent to Holland and was replaced under warrenty.
My experience with tke KP is not directly correlated to the soleonid scandale. It is reflections about the quality of Pentax - and probably others.
Cameras today are very sophisticated, maybe they are not sufficiently tested before launched
For the moment I am satsified witth the KP, exept the performence when taking spontaneous portraits of kids, where reliabel AF is essentiel. Being 77 years old MF is not realistic with the KP
BUT my experience with two defective Pentax Dslrs make me nervous. Will other problems occur - and when?
Talking with my freinds indicate that other brands are not better.
The Spotmatc from 68 is my lifebelt Two years ago it got a CLA.

photogem
Your article is splendid, but you write that Pentax felt that the green solenoid was good enough to use in another way.
Feelings are not testing. carefull testing under relevant conditions is a must. You dont test Wellingtons in Sahara

Perhaps my bgigest mistake was going digital. For the investment I could have bought tons of film and so on.
I hope that my english is good enough in this case
06-01-2020, 03:03 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
photogem
Your article is splendid, but you write that Pentax felt that the green solenoid was good enough to use in another way.
Feelings are not testing. carefull testing under relevant conditions is a must. You dont test Wellingtons in Sahara

Perhaps my bgigest mistake was going digital. For the investment I could have bought tons of film and so on.
I hope that my english is good enough in this case
Your English can be understood well enough, don't worry about it.
Funny enough you wrote something which you mean differently, but luckily one cannot test/measure "feelings"!
It would be terrible if one could. One can only feel them if one has them.

Anyway: If you would be able to understand Japan, business over there, rules etc. and.... the importance of beer behind the scene (I am not kidding)
then you could see that actually it is quite a hard road for Ricoh and was more so with Pentax (has nothing to do with Asahi-beer or Ashahi which is just a name and means morning sun). I can't the post anymore here in the forum, but a member once exlained it pretty well.

Yes, business these days has changed a lot but the world has changed a lot. I am for finding solutions because it is so easy to fall for the Don Quijote trap... i.e. fighting what cannot be fought. Way to large for us.

So you have a great camera with your KP, it is not perfect, maybe ask the necessary questions with examples in the KP threads?
I sometimes love to take photos of birds and since I have the 55-300PLM I find AF with my KP very good but I am not the person to ask,
birds and moving objects never were that important for me.

If you still have your K30, then maybe repair it or get it repaired and then you have the AF you liked?
The K30 even can drive the KAF4 lenses with the 1.10 firmware!
I personally liked the AF of my K5IIs the most and found it the most ridicilous that Ricoh never offered a firmware update for KAF4 for the great K5 series. The K5 already is in some ways superior to the K30/50 and the the K5II for sure. Not to support those was a big big mistake because many customers found that too mean and stopped buying the new Pentax bodies, either stayed with their K5-series or ... sadly... swapped company.

06-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #24
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I Mean the rate of af presicion.

My first KP was the first in Denmark, it came from Sweden I bought it because the K30 became unrealibel, did not know of the solenoid problems.
The problems were AF and batterilife. The camera was sent to Holland and was replaced under warrenty.
My experience with tke KP is not directly correlated to the soleonid scandale. It is reflections about the quality of Pentax - and probably others.
Cameras today are very sophisticated, maybe they are not sufficiently tested before launched
For the moment I am satsified witth the KP, exept the performence when taking spontaneous portraits of kids, where reliabel AF is essentiel. Being 77 years old MF is not realistic with the KP
BUT my experience with two defective Pentax Dslrs make me nervous. Will other problems occur - and when?
Talking with my freinds indicate that other brands are not better.
The Spotmatc from 68 is my lifebelt Two years ago it got a CLA.
What lenses are you using and how much do you depend on "isolation"?

Our daughters were born when I was in my early 30's - at a point when I was using my "Super Program", a manually focused camera. Honestly, I would have had a hard time focusing on them perfectly; little kids, especially our younger daughter, just move too fast, but I have always taken pictures with a "comfortable DOF" .... often an f-stop around f/8. Today I have a KP, which I almost always use with one of three lenses - a Sigma 10-20mm, a DA 18-135mm DC, and a DA 55-300mm PLM; you will notice that the latter two have in-lens focus motor, which I greatly prefer. I almost always use my KP around f/5.6 - f/11 also, and the pictures I take with that camera are always in focus - in 18 months I have never taken a photo with my KP that is out of focus. In general, I am extremely happy with my KP - I have no complaints of the quality that Pentax has put into that camera, so I am completely confused by your complaints.

BTW - the KP has less battery life than the K-3ii does, but everyone knows that - it has the same smaller battery that the K-50 does, but that has never been an issue for me, either the K-30 or the KP.

Last edited by reh321; 06-01-2020 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Punctuation
06-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think this belongs now into a KP or different thread.
The KP doesn't use a solenoid but a stepper-motor.
06-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
.. The actual KP is good - hope it lasts - if you can overlook the imprecise pdaf.
?

There should be no problem.

Have you done the microadjustments? If they require more than -10 or +10 you need to send the body back, its AF module is out of alignment.
06-02-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #27
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
My ks2 was manufactured in May of 2017, and it failed as well.
As failing versions of the K-30 were returned for warranty service, Pentax realized they had a problem, and the modified design resulted. By this time, the K-S2 was ready for production. This design apparently was better, but the "green" solenoid was still a weak area, so some K-S2 and K-70 models still fail. Since this is a problem with aging, dealing with it is not easy, so I believe Pentax should just give up on it and use the stepper-motor based design on future cameras.

Last edited by reh321; 06-02-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammatical correction
06-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just returned fro a sailing trip in my nordic folkboat without connection to the shore, I will thank for the answers.
photogem:
my daughter has lived in Japan for two years, I visited her and her impression was very much like yours, not always sympathetic. I have been in KP threads, and my conclusion is that I ask for too much concerning pdaf. . A repair of the K30 is practically impossible in Denmark, and I am afraid of doing it myself, even with help from the eccelent from k30 threads. I use it manually with m 42 lenses
reh 321
My lenses are: Sigma 10 -20, DA 35 f 2,4, Da 50 f 1,8, Sigma 70 f 2,8 macro and Tamron 70 - 300 macro. In portraits i prefer shallow DOF and thats where the pdaf not always is precise. When I use the smaller f stops like you do there is no problem.
The battery life with the Kp that was replaced under warrenty wafar below 100 poses without flash and LW
Clackers
All lenses are fine tuned. I have a resolution chart, takes a photo in live view and find the fine tune value that gives the same result as live view. It works fine.
Finally some reflections between the folkboat and Spotmatic.
The folkboat was designed in 1941, newer designs are bigger, faster and more comfortable, but when it comes to the handling in especially hard weather it is still second to none, it is a surviver . In a way I think the same about the old all metal cameras, like the spotmatic.
I forgot: one of the virtues of the KP is the eccelent exposure. I use the KP instead of my Spotmeter for analogue BW