Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help with Firmware Update

I have a K-30 that is running firmware ver 1.01 and I noticed that ver 1.06 is now available, so I thought I'd install that. I updated firmware way back when without any issues, but I just can't get the new firmware to install, and wonder if I'm suffering from a senior moment or some kind of brain fart! If anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong, I'd sure appreciate it. So I went to the Ricoh website and found the K-30 version 1.06 firmware update. I downloaded first the Windows version and later the Windows/Mac version when it didn't work, to the Download file on my Windows 10 laptop. I then clicked on the downloaded zip file to extract the .bin file, which I then moved to my SD card. I had previously reformatted a 2 GB SD card with both quick format and long format. The instructions say to format the card, but they don't specify if you are to format the card in the camera or on the computer, so I have tried it both ways. Which way is correct? I then put the SD card with the .bin file on it (and nothing else if Windows Explorer is telling me the truth so I guess it has to be in the root file) into the camera, turned on the camera and went to the Menu option that says, "Firmware Info/Options". I tried both hitting the center OK button and right arrow, both of which brought up the screen that told me I have firmware version 1.01. I followed the instructions to use the right arrow to no avail. No other menu with an option to install the new firmware came up. I don't know why, but the instructions say that if the update screen fails to show, that you have not properly downloaded the update file. I have tried the process several times with no avail. Can anyone please offer me some guidance? Thank you!

08-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The formatting of the SD card should be done in the camera you are updating. You should download the Windows file, not the Mac. Make sure the bin file is on the SD card at the root level, another words not in any other file folder.

You can move the bin file to your SD card using a usb card reader (one end usb for the computer end and one end for the SD card). If you already have a slot for an SD card in the computer than that will work also.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-24-2019 at 02:21 PM.
08-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of troubleshooting steps here:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Since you already formatted the card, I'd suspect the file name might be an issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the ricoh site specifies using a 32 Gb card or more for installing firmware updates...you said you were using a 2 Gb card...perhaps that is the problem.

08-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I hate to admit the problem because it was definitely caused by a brain fart and not a hardware malfunction! I was trying to update my K-70 with k-30 firmware (used to have a K-30). Once I downloaded the proper firmware update for the K-70 on an SD card formated by the camera and held down the Menu button while turning on the camera, I got the option on the screen to update the firmware. Apparently the newest firmware is version 1.11, so not a big change.
08-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

@cpobuttons - the instructions specify a
minimum 32MB card, not 32GB, so a 2GB card is fine.

@OP - glad you got it sorted!