Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

K-30 dim viewfinder

Just bought used K-30 on eBay, and the viewfinder is dim. LiveView is bright. Exposure is not affected; in auto mode the photo has the correct exposure even though the scene is dim in the viewfinder.

Any suggies?

Thanx ... Charlie

08-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

the aperture of a manual lens closed down? maybe enough 'grime' on the VF eye glass to affect brightness.....not sure if the diopter correction thing does anything to dim..
08-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
K-30 dim viewfinder

Not using a manual lens. I have the 18-55 and 50-200; same problem with both. I cleaned the viewfinder (inside and outside) as well as the mirror. Also adjusted the diopter. Between the cleaning and better eye focus things are somewhat improved. No problem in good light, and performance in poor light is now passable. Still think something's wrong

Charlie
08-25-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J831526 Quote
Not using a manual lens. I have the 18-55 and 50-200; same problem with both. I cleaned the viewfinder (inside and outside) as well as the mirror. Also adjusted the diopter. Between the cleaning and better eye focus things are somewhat improved. No problem in good light, and performance in poor light is now passable. Still think something's wrong

Charlie
With slower lenses such as these (especially when zoomed to the tele end), the viewfinder will be a little dark. For a bright viewfinder, you might want to consider adding a fast prime (such as the DA 50mm F1.8) or a F2.8 zoom like the Sigma 17-50mm, Tamron 17-50mm, or Pentax 16-50mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-25-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

With both your lenses, maximum aperture may be as narrow as f/5.6 and no wider than f/3.5, that may explain some of the dim view. Live view brightness is less effected by slower lenses.

Is there any chance your camera might have an aftermarket focus screen? Those are typically less bright than the original Pentax screen.

Steve
08-26-2019, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

With both your lenses, maximum aperture may be as narrow as f/5.6 and no wider than f/3.5, that may explain some of the dim view. Live view brightness is less effected by slower lenses.

Is there any chance your camera might have an aftermarket focus screen? Those are typically less bright than the original Pentax screen.

Steve
I think the slow lenses is probably the correct explanation. I'm used to the viewfinder on a mirrorless Olympus and hadn't considered the different workings of a DSLR.
Thanx ... Charlie