Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Lazy mirror" with AA battery adapter? Any risk of harming the mirror

Hi, I wonder if any of you have experienced this...

I recently went ahead and bought the AA adapter since they're so cheap on ebay/amazon these days, and the reviews are mostly pretty good.

I have a few Panasonic eneloops that I bought some 2 years ago for my flashes, and I see those are recommended, so I went ahead and put in a set of fully charged ones. I've used the K-50 a few times with them in it, and I get basically the same thing every time... after a few shots, it seems like the mirror slap gets quite softer, especially after a pause in using the camera... then as I use it it gets stronger again, but never like if I was using the mirror slap I get with the battery. Sometimes it sounds really faint, like something's wrong with it. It doesn't seem to affect the shutter and shutter speed at all, exposures are all fine.

Is this normal? Maybe the batteries are old? They work fine with flashes. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned that this can harm the mirror mechanism?

10-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Hi, I wonder if any of you have experienced this...

I recently went ahead and bought the AA adapter since they're so cheap on ebay/amazon these days, and the reviews are mostly pretty good.

I have a few Panasonic eneloops that I bought some 2 years ago for my flashes, and I see those are recommended, so I went ahead and put in a set of fully charged ones. I've used the K-50 a few times with them in it, and I get basically the same thing every time... after a few shots, it seems like the mirror slap gets quite softer, especially after a pause in using the camera... then as I use it it gets stronger again, but never like if I was using the mirror slap I get with the battery. Sometimes it sounds really faint, like something's wrong with it. It doesn't seem to affect the shutter and shutter speed at all, exposures are all fine.

Is this normal? Maybe the batteries are old? They work fine with flashes. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned that this can harm the mirror mechanism?
My experience with the K-1 AA adapter is that the AAs (I have tried Eneloops too) barely have enough power fully charged. It really seems like the AA adapter should only be used as a last resort to get that one last shot.
10-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
My experience with the K-1 AA adapter is that the AAs (I have tried Eneloops too) barely have enough power fully charged. It really seems like the AA adapter should only be used as a last resort to get that one last shot.
I think you meant K-50 or a different camera rather than K-1?

I wonder how AA-only cameras like the K200D worked, did people have to buy new Lithium batteries all the time for it?
10-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think you meant K-50 or a different camera rather than K-1?

I wonder how AA-only cameras like the K200D worked, did people have to buy new Lithium batteries all the time for it?
No, I mean the 6-AA battery adapter for the K-1 battery grip. Just to clarify, not for the K-1 by itself.

10-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
No, I mean the 6-AA battery adapter for the K-1 battery grip. Just to clarify, not for the K-1 by itself.
Ah I understand now. For the K-50 the adapter goes into the battery slot, that is why I was confused.

And this is strange, why would they add the grip that allows you to use batteries, or the adapter, if this doesn't work properly? Or are we just supposed to use Lithiums and not rechargeables?
10-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just use lithiums. I have had good luck with Alkaline AA also, but I mostly use the AA adapter as a back up.
10-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have used 'standard' (*) AA batteries with my K-30 almost since the day I got it - no problems. Alkaline batteries seem to just barely have enough "umpf" to power it even when new.

(*) Duracell or EverReady

10-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The other part of the question is, does it harm the shutter mechanism in any way if the power seems a bit low?
10-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #9

Hi can't answer if it might cause damage, but quite often use the adapter (cheap Chinese version) in my K30 with no issues. I usually use either Eneloop Pro or the copper top Duracell rechargeables. Tried ordinary alkaline once, but didn't last long enough to be a viable option.
10-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The other part of the question is, does it harm the shutter mechanism in any way if the power seems a bit low?
My K-30 actually worked better if the power was a tad low - the aperture control worked under those conditions and the shutter showed no signs of being affected.
10-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone I'm hoping it won't damage anything, so I'm keeping the adapter in it for now. That frees up an extra Pentax battery for my K-S1

The only downside is the weight... it's noticeably heavier than with the regular battery.
10-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks for the responses everyone I'm hoping it won't damage anything, so I'm keeping the adapter in it for now. That frees up an extra Pentax battery for my K-S1

The only downside is the weight... it's noticeably heavier than with the regular battery.
"Yes" to both statements.

I virtually never used the Pentax battery with my K-30 - now I use it with my KP.

My K-30 is noticeably heavy using rechargeable {such as "Ever-ready" or "Duracell"} batteries, but it may have been worth it keeping the aperture control issue at bay a little longer.
11-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm hoping it won't damage anything, so I'm keeping the adapter in it for now. That frees up an extra Pentax battery for my K-S1
AA batteries and lower voltage will not pose a problem, it's the opposite: Good AA's such as Eneloops have more power (mA)

and this is good because in some cases the solenoid works longer, the aperture problem does happen later.
11-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
AA batteries and lower voltage will not pose a problem, it's the opposite: Good AA's such as Eneloops have more power (mA)

and this is good because in some cases the solenoid works longer, the aperture problem does happen later.
Thanks for the reply.

In my case, the only rechargeables I have are Eneloops (panasonic) and they are the ones that seem a little lower in voltage. When they are freshly charged the mirror is a bit more silent but as time goes on I get quite a bit less mirror slap. WIth the DLI109 batteries, the mirror slap is very strong. My eneloops are now a couple of years old, maybe even 3, which is what might be causing the issue.

I stopped worrying about it though
11-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks for the reply.

In my case, the only rechargeables I have are Eneloops (panasonic) and they are the ones that seem a little lower in voltage. When they are freshly charged the mirror is a bit more silent but as time goes on I get quite a bit less mirror slap. WIth the DLI109 batteries, the mirror slap is very strong. My eneloops are now a couple of years old, maybe even 3, which is what might be causing the issue.

I stopped worrying about it though
Some one more knowledgeable than me would have to answer your questions. My experience is that the aperture control of the K-30 works better when the batteries have a lower charge. To my ears, the shutter is not really affected. In any case, my K-30 is more noisy than my KP is, but I have thought that the KP has a more expensive mechanism. I purchased the KP on last Black Friday, and I have used the K-30 only occasionally since then. I did get 3-1/2 good years from the K-30 before I purchased the KP, and I figure of the K-30, "it doesn't owe my anything" at this point.