Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

K50 slow mirror

Hi All. My K50 is taking really dark pictures. Tried a few things and it seems like my mirror may be slow.
1. When I use shutter priority and set a slower shutter speed it takes brighter pictures.
2. Video mode meters the light properly
3. If I take a picture without a lens on the body the picture is still dark. Darker at the top of the picture. If I manually hold the mirror up and snap a pic with the same settings it is pure white.

So... does my assessment seem correct and is there a fix for it?

10-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately it sound like it could be aperture block failure. Do a search and you’ll find a few threads on it. There is a fix but if you are out of warranty I t will cost you.
10-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to more appropriate forum...

Welcome

This does indeed sound like failure of the aperture control mechanism. See the following threads for more information:
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com

... and ...

Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
Good luck!
10-17-2019, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have any older lenses with an aperture ring? If the issue is the aperture block, these will still work using stop down metering.

10-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Attom Quote
Hi All. My K50 is taking really dark pictures. Tried a few things and it seems like my mirror may be slow.
1. When I use shutter priority and set a slower shutter speed it takes brighter pictures.
2. Video mode meters the light properly
3. If I take a picture without a lens on the body the picture is still dark. Darker at the top of the picture. If I manually hold the mirror up and snap a pic with the same settings it is pure white.

So... does my assessment seem correct and is there a fix for it?
It is almost certainly the solenoid which is stuck.

You NEVER EVER should "manually hold the mirror up", you might do damage beyond repair!

Check it like this in good light:

Use any AF or A lens (those set on A), topwheel on Av:

Chose the aperture for wide open (DA50/1,8 would be 1,8... DA 18-55 would be 3,5)
and take a photo: If the solenoid is stuck it will be almost dark/black

Then with the same lens set it for the largest value such as f22 or higher whatever the lens allows and particular now make sure you have good light because you need it. Now this photo should be fine.

Often photos taken with liveview also turn out alright but not always.