Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Using 128 GB SDXC Card on K-50

Dear people,

I will be going to South East Asia next month, and am looking for a large capacity SD card to take with me as 32 GB definitely won't be enough (and I won't have a laptop to empty the card daily). As a result, I thought of purchasing a Sandisk 128 GB SDXC.

Ricoh, on the website, says the following, which I guess means that it can be used in the camera, yet am unsure about it:

SDCX card memory capacity: 64GB. [SanDisk] SDXC card memory capacity: 128 GB.

I know that theoreticallyall SDXC cards should work, which includes this humble 128 GB. But that is just theoretical - just like the battery performance. So I wanted to ask if there is anyone that actually used a 128 GB card on K-50 so far. I don't want to pay 50% more by buying two 64 GB cards, yet rather than having a non-working card, I'll prefer paying 50% more for sure.

Thank you for your answers in advance,

Murat

11-19-2019, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrohank Quote
Dear people,

I will be going to South East Asia next month, and am looking for a large capacity SD card to take with me as 32 GB definitely won't be enough (and I won't have a laptop to empty the card daily). As a result, I thought of purchasing a Sandisk 128 GB SDXC.

Ricoh, on the website, says the following, which I guess means that it can be used in the camera, yet am unsure about it:

SDCX card memory capacity: 64GB. [SanDisk] SDXC card memory capacity: 128 GB.

I know that theoreticallyall SDXC cards should work, which includes this humble 128 GB. But that is just theoretical - just like the battery performance. So I wanted to ask if there is anyone that actually used a 128 GB card on K-50 so far. I don't want to pay 50% more by buying two 64 GB cards, yet rather than having a non-working card, I'll prefer paying 50% more for sure.

Thank you for your answers in advance,

Murat
I have a Sandisk128GB in my K-50 right now, and have been using it in there since I bought the card a year ago. Haven't had any problems with it other than not used all the space.
11-19-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

How are you going to feel if your single SD card gets fried right at the end of the trip?
I would be far too nervous to risk such a large amount of data, and I always use no bigger than 32gb cards. Just take a few spares, it will probably be cheaper anyway
11-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpipg Quote
How are you going to feel if your single SD card gets fried right at the end of the trip?
I would be far too nervous to risk such a large amount of data, and I always use no bigger than 32gb cards. Just take a few spares, it will probably be cheaper anyway
I've never had a problem with my Sandisk 128GB SDXC but that doesn't mean it can't happen and like jpipg, suggested taking extra cards be they 32GB or 64GB, I think would be a good idea. I carry extra cards when I go shooting here even if I'm only a few miles from home. I'd hate to lose those bird shots I get.

11-19-2019, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

This is my recommendation, too.

I bring multiple cards, have one in the camera, one in the camera bag, and the others in a small water-tight box on a lanyard around my neck. Each day, I swap out the card in the camera from one in the box, rotating through the cards.

That way, if the card gets corrupted or the camera or bag are stolen, I only lose a fraction of my shots.
11-19-2019, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with those above who suggest smaller cards. Otherwise, you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

I tend to go with 16 GB cards.
11-19-2019, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are willing to spend some big bucks, get a Gnarbox or Nexto photo storage device. You take your sd card and insert it and it downloads your photos and stores them safely.

11-20-2019, 02:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
I normally prefer having my laptop with me and transferring photos daily to a mechanical HDD so that I can salvage them even if the disk fails, yet luggage fees for extra kilos cost the same much with the card - because of which I considered this option.

I should thank you for the warning, yet another question comes to my mind at this point: I'm a sociologist and am deeply into religion and religious culture. And as you can expect, Angkor Wat is one of our destinations. What happens when my Angkor Wat SD card will be fried? I mean, you can say "at least the other photos aren't lost" while I'd say "if Angkor is gone, the rest can go as well".

I was so eager to give up on the idea, and your warning led me thinking something else - which helped me with my ultimate decision to return to my usual habit: 128 GB makes around 8.500 photos, and with the added 32 that I have, I'll have space for around 10.500 photos. From three weeks, that's 3.500 photos a week, and 500 photos a day.

I am adding two batteries to the two that I have, and I sure don't want to be limited that way. I'll probably do no less than 1.000 photos a day. So yeah, I dropped the idea.

Thank you again for helping me directly and indirectly on the matter.

Murat

PS: I made all these rather unnecessary explanations to help the people whom might have the same problem/question with me. Sorry for the time that reading it stole from your lives.
11-20-2019, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #9

several cards

Hello mrohank,

Firstly, Angkor Wat is one of the greatest ancient sites to visit. You will have a great time. If you spend 4 days, it would be nice, huge area.

I would take several cards, and after a special place, occasion... I would put that card which stores those images, away regardless how full it is. Once I lost a camera with 2 cards, nearly full, in my last day of my trip. And half of my trip's photos was on it. I was too lazy, over confident... and arrogant to believed it would not happen to me. Some place that it is harder to come back.

Enjoyed your trip and have a great photos,

Cheers,
Hai

PS, at the passport control, make sure you check if they actually stamp your passport before you entre the country.
11-20-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrohank Quote
My first response was just answering the question, would it work in his K-50. I didn't think at the time to further suggest he take smaller cards also. Sorry.