Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Third Party AA adapters

I thought I'd warn others about something that recently happened to me... So I bought a cheap adapter off ebay a while back, and wanted to give a warning to people... they might cause you trouble. Mine caused trouble to my K-50.

It was always a bit tight to fit in the battery compartment, but it worked just fine. The tightness is probably because the plastic that the adapter is made of is probably thicker than the one that Pentax makes. All was fine until the other day, when a peace inside the K-50 broke off - it's part of the internal wall of the battery compartment, that contains the little switch - not sure what to call it - that keeps the battery in its place, until you hit that little switch to release the battery. Well the whole thing came off and now the battery door is the only thing that is keeping the battery in place. The part that locks the door in place is plastic, so it might be just a matter of time until it breaks and the battery door doesn't close anymore, and the battery won't stay in anymore - at which point the camera is probably toast. I'll enjoy it while I can...

Needless to say, I wish I had never tried that AA adapter... but it was very cheap (3 dollars I think) so I foolishly thought, "why not". lesson learned!

01-31-2020, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had a problem - but I paid extra for quality and got the six-dollar adapters.
01-31-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had that part replaced on my K-50, it is called a battery hook. Mine failed for no reason, but was replaced under warranty. If you canít get it fixed you might use a little duct tape to hold for extra security.
01-31-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a knock off one but mine was $6-10 and fit perfectly. Sorry you're hasn't worked out as well as you hoped.

02-01-2020, 12:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a number of AA and AAA, most LADDA, still have some old Eneloop's.
The only charger I use is Panasonic BQ-CC17, excellent product.
02-01-2020, 03:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
when a peace inside the K-50 broke off
That's never good!

However, I also have aftermarket versions for my K-30 and have never had any issues with them. There is probably a good deal of variation in that particular item out there in the wild.
02-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It was always a bit tight to fit in the battery compartment, but it worked just fine. The tightness is probably because the plastic that the adapter is made of is probably thicker than the one that Pentax makes. All was fine until the other day, when a peace inside the K-50 broke off - it's part of the internal wall of the battery compartment, that contains the little switch - not sure what to call it - that keeps the battery in its place, until you hit that little switch to release the battery. Well the whole thing came off and now the battery door is the only thing that is keeping the battery in place.
I'm not quite sure that I understand correctly which part broke off. The white battery-hook is screwed on what looks like a gold-plated (or brass or whatever) flat metal part (which acts like a spring, that's why it can be moved).
Usually it is just the hook itself which brakes.

I have both adapters here, the original D-BH109 with its stainless steel plate and the chinese clone.
With both I feel I have to be careful and first tilt them for not stressing the battery-hook.

This hook itself is quite more fragile compared to those ones from the K10D, K20D, K7, K5 and so on.

If this battery-hook brakes and one has the correct glue (there is a correct perfect glue for almost anything) then it should hold, I had once a K30 with a glued battery hook and it held perfectly!

Once I replaced it in a K500 (which isn't WR anyway) with that one from a damaged K10D. I had to modify the opening but it works very well and is more stable than the original hook. The hook sits about 3 mm deeper towards the inside than the original hook which doesn't matter at all for the Li-Ion battery but to insert the adapter is a bit more tricky. Anyway, with the white Japan-Solenoid I hardly need Eneloops anymore, only on freezing cold days.

Last edited by photogem; 02-09-2020 at 03:18 PM.
02-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got a generic adapter years ago, and it's great using it. That grey bit also came off in my battery compartment, but I didn't ever think the adapater had anything to do with it. Also the K-50 has been working fine without that bit and just the door holding the battery in for quite some time now.

02-11-2020, 12:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The lacking battery-hook puts a lot of stress on the battery-door. I have seen one K-30 were the latch of the door broke because it was used this way

The hook is pretty easy to replace, I shall write a little tutorial for this.

The price is max. $ 15 with shipping costs.

The price for the door is much higher! Not worth it to take this risk.
02-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The lacking battery-hook puts a lot of stress on the battery-door. I have seen one K-30 were the latch of the door broke because it was used this way

The hook is pretty easy to replace, I shall write a little tutorial for this.

The price is max. $ 15 with shipping costs.

The price for the door is much higher! Not worth it to take this risk.
Hmm, maybe I'll try and find a part and replace it. Where can they be found?
02-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Hmm, maybe I'll try and find a part and replace it. Where can they be found?
Partnumber is: R77420A17 (Battery Hook K-R)
02-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I'm not quite sure that I understand correctly which part broke off.
I'll take a picture when I can, but the hook broke off along with a portion of the internal plastic wall. I don't think it can be fixed or replaced. However the camera should still be weather resistant, since that part is internal and the battery door is unaffected.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I got a generic adapter years ago, and it's great using it. That grey bit also came off in my battery compartment, but I didn't ever think the adapater had anything to do with it. Also the K-50 has been working fine without that bit and just the door holding the battery in for quite some time now.
That's actually pretty encouraging! I'll stick to the original batteries now since they put less pressure on the battery door, but it's good to know that the door might be stronger than I thought it was.
02-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #13

I bought the Pentax D-BH109 AA Battery Holder for my K-50 that has the dreaded black photo solenoid problem from B&H Photo. I read somewhere using the AA battery adapter may fix the problem, well it didn't fix the problem.
Are these Pentax battery adapters worth anything more than $5 bucks, I paid like $30 from B&H a year or so ago?
02-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #14
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My battery hook broke off too, on my K-30, buy was not caused by an adapter, just changing the original battery and popped off.

I use a zip tie to hold the battery in place, but it has to be a thick piece of a zip tie. I slide it down beside the battery near the front of the battery, and it helps keep the battery in place. Without the zip tie piece the battery doesn't seat flush and turning the camera on, it only shows half charged. And if you try the zip tie, I leave about a 1/4 in of the tie sticking above the battery so I can pull it out when changing batteries..

Last edited by photolady95; 02-22-2020 at 10:29 AM.
02-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chiefifd Quote
I bought the Pentax D-BH109 AA Battery Holder for my K-50 that has the dreaded black photo solenoid problem from B&H Photo. I read somewhere using the AA battery adapter may fix the problem, well it didn't fix the problem.
In some cases it DELAYS THE PROBLEM. The problem is the malfunctioning of the solenoid because it is worn and stronger magnetised
and has from the start by construction a stronger holding force then the white one.

Only real solution:
Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Chiefifd Quote
Are these Pentax battery adapters worth anything more than $5 bucks, I paid like $30 from B&H a year or so ago?
The original AA-Adapter is that expensive. If it is worth the price, who knows. It is for sure better made than the China copy but I never heard any complaints about the cheaper version except with from member ChristinaRock who started this thread.
I have both adapters here and both bring more pressure to the battery-hook, I am always very careful when inserting it!
I cannot say that the original adapter would stress the hook less, by no means.

It's the hook which is fragile by construction. With the K-S1 and KP it is much better solved, they have the same design,
even better with: K10D/20D/7/5/3/1 !

So go and change the solenoid, I know of people with actually almost 2 left hands who have done it.
Biggest hurdle is one's own fear. Old saying: Once it's shouldered it is light!