Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #1

purchase used К-50

I broken my old KR - needs replace button on body. I check price repear. In my city - cost repear between 50 -80 USD. And I think about change camera. I check price on K-50. Cost - 150 (body) -200 (body+kit) USD. Account shots about +/- 20000.
Question
1. It makes sense to change KR on K-50
2. How critical is this number of shots for the old K-50
3. What to watch when buying

03-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about the K-r...

I wouldn't worry about the shutter count, even for the K-50 having 20K actuations isn't really much. Mine has over 40K now, and someone posted here in the forums a year or two ago that their K-50 had reached 500K (that's five hundred thousand) shots

What you do have to worry about is the aperture mechanism. First, test the camera with the kit lens. If the first shot is well exposed, then your solenoid (part of the aperture mechanism) is fine. If it's dark, and the next few pictures get brighter, then the aperture block is failing and should soon fail completely. That is the Achiles' heel of the K-50.

The good news is that with the K-r you have two (I think) white solenoids that can be used to fix the K-50 if you are handy with electronics. So if you get the K-50, keep that K-r body around in case you need to get the solenoid out of it. There is plenty of information (with pictures) here in this forum on how to do this.

If you find a K-5 for around the same price, you might consider that instead, as the K-5 does not have this issue, and also has a nicer more professional style body. Not that the K-50 is bad, but it 's clearly more of a consumer camera like the K-r.
03-05-2020, 12:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
K-5 II (body) can be bought for 230 USD with the number of shots 20-30 000. K-5 IIs 250 USD. That is more than the cost of K-50 by 50 USD. Does it make sense to overpay?
03-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I had two K50's and a K30 that all suffered from the aperture block failure. I've had the K30 repaired and still have it but I sold both of the K50's. That's a rather long winded way of saying that I'd go for a K5 or K5II/s. I also had a K5 and it was a great camera.

03-05-2020, 03:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won a K500 (cheaper, no seals version of K50) on ebay and was disappointed to find that it had the aperture block failure. Temporarily cured by fitting lithium AA batteries with a cheap battery holder that I bought from China and shooting a burst or two to unlock it before using it in earnest. After the refund given by the seller it became a cheaper and appreciated buy as I can use it in AF after the burst, live view without needing the burst and of course with lenses that have aperture ring using the green button. So niceish body to have.

But I would recommend looking for a K-5 as recommended by previous contributors and the S suffix version if you would appreciate not having the anti aliasing filter that apparently can provide sharper images than the standard K-5. The K-5 is a great body.

My own K-5 is approaching 100K so may be looking for a replacement shortly and at the moment the K-5iis is as appealing as a used K-3 to me though I have bodies from K100D through K200D, K20D Kr and K500D to use anyway.
03-05-2020, 06:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
Information about the problems of the K-50 drove me into a stupor. I don’t know what to do. I take a photoappart for my daughter. And the dimensions are important. As I understand it, K-5 is bigger and heavier than K-50. With a lens, the weight will be about 1000 grams. Take technically more advanced equipment, but heavy and overall, how much it will be justified. In the direction of K-5, there is one more argument - she plans to go to college as a photographer and it is quite possible the K-50 will not meet her needs. To think and think again. As they say - to buy a car is easier than to sell ...
03-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frey71 Quote
K-5 II (body) can be bought for 230 USD with the number of shots 20-30 000. K-5 IIs 250 USD. That is more than the cost of K-50 by 50 USD. Does it make sense to overpay?
Personally, I would get the K-5 II for classes and learning. It's about the same size as the K-50 but 110g heavier (due to magnesium alloy construction). It will have a better interface, be more durable (not just in regards to the aperture block) and have more controls.

If you wanted something smaller than the K-r the only one to suggest would be the K-S1 - quite a bit smaller than other Pentax DSLRs and 50g lighter than the K-r. Some have had the aperture block issue but I don't think it's been as bad as the K-30/K-50.
Positives: better image quality than any of the other cameras you are considering. 20MP sensor with no AA filter, and it's a great sensor in my opinion.
Negatives: the interface is more geared towards amateurs - it will have the scene modes like the K-r, instead of the more pro-like controls of the K-5II. Only one data wheel (but I don't think it hinders me because the +/- button changes the function of the wheel and that's easy enough to get used to). Possible aperture block failure.

Here is a size comparison between these 4 cameras.... Camerasize

Disclaimer: I have not had the K-5 or K-5II, but I have had the K-r and currently have the K-S1 (which was for me a great upgrade to the K-r, and I also have the K-50, and thank God never had any aperture issues - the trick, they say, is to keep shooting your cameras frequently then they won't develop the problem).
03-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frey71 Quote
Information about the problems of the K-50 drove me into a stupor. I don’t know what to do. I take a photoappart for my daughter. And the dimensions are important. As I understand it, K-5 is bigger and heavier than K-50. With a lens, the weight will be about 1000 grams. Take technically more advanced equipment, but heavy and overall, how much it will be justified. In the direction of K-5, there is one more argument - she plans to go to college as a photographer and it is quite possible the K-50 will not meet her needs. To think and think again. As they say - to buy a car is easier than to sell ...
Trust me on this that the K-50 has enough to keep most photographers quite happy. Yes. The AF sucks, but if you're not shooting high speed moving subjects coming at you or going away from you (i.e. birds, kids, dogs, cars, planes, etc.) & do more static shooting, the K-50 has more than enough to please even the most advanced photographer.

The issue here is the possible aperture motor failure in the K-50. I have 2 K-50 bodies that I had to fix on my own. I replaced the "green" solenoids with "white" solenoids in both of them. They've been trouble free since. The black one has been running for almost 3 years since the repair & that's that I did a semi-lousy job on the repair. Hahaha! I did a much better job on the red one.

As far as reliability goes, the K-5/5II/5IIs or K-3/3II would be a far better choice. I'd personally get the K-5IIs or the K-3II. They'll run forever. Well, maybe not forever, but you get the gist.

03-06-2020, 03:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
Dilemma ... I began to think about taking K-3 for myself, and giving my K-70 to my daughter. Moreover, there is an offer to buy a new one for 600 USD ...
03-10-2020, 01:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the clarification. As a result, I bought a used one K-3 II for 400 USD. Mileage 15000 shots. Must get 15.03. I hope I will not be disappointed.
03-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

That is a great deal on the K-3II. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.