Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mary Ann 191 Quote
Sorry it's taken me until now to respond.

The 55 - 300 lens is HD Pentax - DA 1:4.5 - 6.3. 55 - 300 mm ED PLM WR RE.

The firmware is Version 1.00.

The 18 - 55mm lens is SMC Pentax - DA 1:3.5 - 5.6 18 - 55mm AL WR.

I took your suggestion and cleaned the contacts on the lens and the camera and tried taking pictures again with the 18 - 55mm lens. I was able to take a few with the viewfinder and live view, but the pictures are dark. I also took pictures with the 55 - 300mm lens right after, and the pictures are great, lots of light.
Ok, So @Photogem was correct it seems that you may be having aperture control block failure. And have you tried to change the aperture when the 55-300 is mounted? In other words can you change the aperture in manual mode with the rear control wheel and notice a difference in the image light value and its histogram? BTW, did you buy the K-30 new or was it a used unit and has the camera firmware been hacked? Since it shows the firmware Version as 1.00 I think it has not been hacked. If you can't control the aperture on the 55-300 PLM you are probably using the 55-300 at f/4.5 all the time and you may need someone to tell you how to do the firmware hack to control the aperture.

03-15-2020, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Absolutly true, I make assumtions because we don't know yet anything more, until the threadopener (TO) can bring us more information!

Wrong: I used the term TO for threadopener and thus left it neutral. There are a few who have aliases which sound female but behind the person is male. So calm down.

Wrong! Neither you nor me nor anybody else knows right now, but firmware 1.10 is very popular, even official Pentax service places install it.
Anyway, I assume a, you asume b, nothing wrong with this!

Well observed, and if my assumption is wrong, I am not going to shed any tear about it.
We try to help a person best we can.
This is not a competition!

Thats what you want to see, fine.

I see a different possibility because in my experience with many many K30's I have repaired that if the solenoid stops working,

LiveView first works and then stops working.

So I assume and try to help.

Hopefully the TO can use our help and it does't matter who is right or wrong: As I said, this is no competition.

It isn't important who is right.

What is important is to help.
My apologies she has responded and she does have the PLM so she may be having aperture control block failure. She states that the firmware is ver. 1.00. The PLM aperture is probably wide open and thats the resaon she is getting usable images from it.
03-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #18

Original Poster
I purchased the K-30 camera new from Adorama in NYC, online. I chose a new camera.. I found the paperwork today and the description of the camera does not indicate it was refurbished. I can only rely on the camera shop's integrity to sell me a new camera for the price I paid.

I took many pictures yesterday with both lenses, with and without the flash. I found in Manual mode the pictures for both lenses were dark unless I used the flash.

I forgot to add in my last post, the 17 pictures I took of the glassware were before the 18-55mm lens and camera started having this problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
03-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #19

Original Poster
this picture was taken a few moments ago with the 55-300 mm lens on M mode, the f/stop is 6.3, iso 100, shutter speed 8 at 300mm with a flash.

I don't know if this information will help you or not.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-17-2020, 11:52 PM   #20
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I purchased the K-30 camera new from Adorama in NYC, online. I chose a new camera.. I found the paperwork today and the description of the camera does not indicate it was refurbished. I can only rely on the camera shop's integrity to sell me a new camera for the price I paid.
This doesn't say if you have warranty left. If you do, contact Adorama and get it fixed. Aperture block failure is more time dependent than use related problem.

Here is a thread of using K-50 firmware with support to PLM lenses on K-30:Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com
I've upgraded mine, but don't have PLM lenses. Deal with warranty before you upgrade wirmware, so they can't complain about it.
03-18-2020, 07:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry it's taken me until now to respond.
The 55 - 300 lens is the HD Pentax - DA 1:4.5 - 6.3. 55 - 300 mm ED PLM WR RE.
A great lens but not supported with:
The firmware is Version 1.00.
You need firmware 1.10 which you find HERE
Everything is explained very well
HERE

The term "hacked firmware" or "hacked Pentax" is very misleading, could lead to caution or fear which is absolutly unnecessary because as I have written previously most official Pentax repairshops use it. It is 100% save.

The 18 - 55mm lens is SMC Pentax - DA 1:3.5 - 5.6 18 - 55mm AL WR.
I took your suggestion and cleaned the contacts on the lens and the camera and tried taking pictures again with the 18 - 55mm lens. I was able to take a few with the viewfinder and live view, but the pictures are dark. I also took pictures with the 55 - 300mm lens right after, and the pictures are great, lots of light.
Which explains that with 99% certainty it's the solenoid which is jammed.
Liveview often works BUT, because the aperture is full closed the camera meters wrong, it is set to meter with f4,0!
Only the larger professional Pentax bodies such as K5/3/KP etc. meter more precise and thus better if LV is used.

With firmware 1.10 you can use your K30 and PLM lens even with the bad solenoid, no harm because it is not in action.

Otherwise can only use M-Mode with an A-Lens or Manual lens because you preselect the aperture on the lens itself to your desired value,
press the green button for metering etc, more you find in this forum if needed.

So remember: Pentax DSLR bodies which support the PLM lens are:
- K30 with 1.10 firmware
- K50/500
- K-S1/2
- K70
- KP
- K3/II
- K1/II
Sadly the great K5 series doesn't

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
This doesn't say if you have warranty left. If you do, contact Adorama and get it fixed. Aperture block failure is more time dependent than use related problem.
And yet the fix will only be temporary because they install the China solenoid which in many cases (most!) fails again.

Only after Dec. 2015 manufacture Pentax did something about it, you can read that in other threads I started concering this issue.

I'd ask them to pay 50% back and I'd repair it myself (see the tutorial I wrote).
As Mary Ann 191 likes sewing as well, her fingers could be well tuned for such work!

Last edited by photogem; 03-18-2020 at 07:25 AM.
03-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #22

Original Poster
I purchased this camera July 7, 2013. It's not under warranty.

I'll check out the information you provided, thanks.

---------- Post added 03-18-20 at 12:42 PM ----------

I'll check this out, thanks.

03-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased this camera July 7, 2013. It's not under warranty.
Well, this changes everything, because this is a long time ago and many if not all K30's sadly develop this problem.

So 2 options aside of buying another Pentax:

1. keep it as it is but for sure install firmware 1.10, so you can use the PLM lens as well as A-lenses (great lenses, particular the primes such as the SMC-A-50/1,4 and the SMC A 50/1,7 as well as the SMC A 35/2 and many others.

2. DIY Repair
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
03-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #24

Original Poster
Is it really necessary to update the firmware? the is a picture I took this morning on M mode with no flash with the PLM lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-18-2020, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, utmost important.

Only then can the PLM lens work with its PLM technology and you will be stunned how fast it will be.
03-19-2020, 06:09 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Addition: Don't be scared because somebody mentioned "hacked K30" if it would firmware 1.10!
This is totally misleading. This was a hack but now most official Pentax places if servicing or repairing a K30 play this firmware on it!

Because the K30 and K50 are actually exactly the same cameras (NOT the K500!)

You can study this well on the link I gave you.

So don't be scared.

@Larrymc: Now... go ahead and clear this for her as well!
03-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #27

Original Poster
I downloaded the firmware, that's the first step.
03-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #28

Original Poster
Do I need to update the Pentax firmware to 1.06 before completing the 1.10 firmware update?

I tried to follow the instructions in the Updating Procedure from 1.00 to 1.10 but I cannot access the MENU on my camera once it's connected to the computer. The camera is on, but the viewing screen is dark. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
03-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do I need to update the Pentax firmware to 1.06 before completing the 1.10 firmware update?

I tried to follow the instructions in the Updating Procedure from 1.00 to 1.10 but I cannot access the MENU on my camera once it's connected to the computer. The camera is on, but the viewing screen is dark. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...
No need for 1.06, firmware updates are cumulative. 1.10 includes all it predecessors.

I am not familiar with an update process with camera connected to computer (is it possible?). The normal process is to format your SD card, then download the update file to the root directory of that card. You then put the card back in the camera and install. See details in the PF guide.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 03-19-2020 at 07:20 PM.
03-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What you download is a zip-file named K30v110_K30.zip
Within this file you find a binary-file named

fwdc215b.bin

1. format your SD Card in your K-30
2. connect either your SD Card to your computer or, thats how I do it, insert your SD-Card in a cardreader

3. Find the place of the downloaded zip-file and open it:
4. Copy this BIN file (not the zip-file) onto and paste on your SD-Card
This is next (but NOT INTO) the Pentaxfile named DCIM!

5. a) Take your Pentax off the computer if that's how you did it
or:
b) If you did it with a cardreader, insert the SD card back into your K-30

6. Close the Carddoor and switch your K30 on

7. Go into the menu:
- a) tool-symbol scrll to Firmware Info/Opt (you did this already)
- b) 4-way controller to the right: it shows firmware 1.00 (as you did it already)
- c) with 4-way controller to the right the green arrow:

Now on your display you can read: Version 1.00 and arrow to the right 1.10 actualize firmware

d) START

e) NOW LOADING firmware is actualized
f) complete