Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

K30 works with one lens but not the other

I purchased a Pentax 55 - 300 mm lens for my K-30 camera and I used this new lens last year for my vacation. I got fabulous pictures and I love this lens.

Today, I needed to take some photos using the lens that came with the camera, an 18 - 55mm lens and I found that the lens would not take photos when I used the viewfinder. I could only get photos with live view. As I continued to try to figure out what the problem is, I found the camera would not take photos with this lens, then the shutter would not release. Then it no longer worked even with live view. It didn't matter what mode I used, still no photo.

I switched back to the 55 - 300mm lens, and the camera works fine.

My question, does my using the 55 - 300mm lens cause the old lens to stop working with the camera?

If I can only use the 55 - 300mm lens, then that's ok. I rarely use the original lens anymore. I just want to understand if I caused the problem or if the camera needs to be repaired.

Thank you.

03-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
sounds like the lens may have dirty contacts where it connects to the camera. With a clean microfibre cloth (and maybe a little alcohol) wipe the contact on the lens. Then try it again.
03-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mary Ann 191 Quote
I purchased a Pentax 55 - 300 mm lens for my K-30 camera and I used this new lens last year for my vacation. I got fabulous pictures and I love this lens.

Today, I needed to take some photos using the lens that came with the camera, an 18 - 55mm lens and I found that the lens would not take photos when I used the viewfinder. I could only get photos with live view. As I continued to try to figure out what the problem is, I found the camera would not take photos with this lens, then the shutter would not release. Then it no longer worked even with live view. It didn't matter what mode I used, still no photo.

I switched back to the 55 - 300mm lens, and the camera works fine.

My question, does my using the 55 - 300mm lens cause the old lens to stop working with the camera?

If I can only use the 55 - 300mm lens, then that's ok. I rarely use the original lens anymore. I just want to understand if I caused the problem or if the camera needs to be repaired.

Thank you.
No the 55-300 nor any lens will not cause the old lens to stop working. Are you getting any info on the LCD? Does it show shutter speed or Fstop settings? You might need to make sure your 18-55 is locked into position and also clean the contacts on the lens lens mount ring.
03-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Actually, the 55-300 and 18-55 combination is the classic two-lens APS-C kit. They were my first two lenses. They should complement each other beautifully, though the 55-300 is actually a higher quality lens than the 18-55. So definitely, they should both work on your K-30.

I will be interested to hear if cleaning the contacts has any effect.

The K-30 is susceptible to "aperture block failure", but that doesn't appear to be your issue.

03-14-2020, 02:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It may be time for a new camera or a new kit lens (not sure which). The 55-300 shouldn't affect the other lens at all. If you have access to any other lenses, you could try them out. I guess the only question is which version of the 55-300 you have. If it was the PLM version then it wouldn't be affected by aperture block, which your 18-55 would be affected by.
03-14-2020, 03:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

I found the camera would not take photos with this lens, then the shutter would not release
This problem has nothing to do with the "Aperture Block Failure"in my opinion. That problem only causes dark pictures, but the shutter works.
03-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It may be time for a new camera or a new kit lens (not sure which). The 55-300 shouldn't affect the other lens at all. If you have access to any other lenses, you could try them out. I guess the only question is which version of the 55-300 you have. If it was the PLM version then it wouldn't be affected by aperture block, which your 18-55 would be affected by.
I don't think the K-30 and the 55-300 PLM with the KA F4 diaphragm control are compatible. I doubt that its an aperture block problem. The OP needs to give us a bit more information.

03-14-2020, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I don't think the K-30 and the 55-300 PLM with the KA F4 diaphragm control are compatible. I doubt that its an aperture block problem. The OP needs to give us a bit more information.
Probably not, but some did port the K50 firmware to their K30s and that allowed for using KAF 4 lenses.
03-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends now very strongly on

WHICH PENTAX 55-300 Lens you use!
There are 4 versions:

- DA-L 55-300
- DA 55-300
- DA 55-300 WR
- and last not least, the DA55-300PLM!

If it is the DA55-300 PLM and you get good pictures but none with other lenses, this can mean either:

1. that you K30 has firmware 1.10!
This you can find out by checking on the menu:

Press the menu button check in the menu which firmware version you have and report to us
because.... if an older firmware, then

2. you can only get f4,5 = wide open results. Those might well look fine but are rather very very limiting.

But all what you write indicates the possibility of aperture block failure, i.e. a blocked solenoid.

This will mean that ONLY the DA55-300 PLM can work because this lens does not use the aperture block but is actuated in a different way which
to know is not important for you right now.

So check those points so that we can help you further!
03-14-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It depends now very strongly onWHICH PENTAX 55-300 Lens you use!
You make a good point that knowing the version of this lens can help in eliminating possible causes, but I would suggest the OP not assume that this is correct:
But all what you write indicates the possibility of aperture block failure, i.e. a blocked solenoid.
92 months after getting my K-30, I've never had an aperture block failure. At this point, with only the information that the OP has provided, it is at least as likely to be a problem with the 18-55 lens itself or the electrical connection between the 18-55 lens and the camera. I have found that my K-30 will sometimes stop responding if it doesn't recognize the lens after the first unsuccessful attempt to mount it. Certainly confirm the version of the 55-300 lens first, but even if the OP has the PLM version and the camera has the modified K-50 firmware installed, the 18-55 lens could still be the problem.
03-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
You make a good point that knowing the version of this lens can help in eliminating possible causes, but I would suggest the OP not assume that this is correct: 92 months after getting my K-30, I've never had an aperture block failure. At this point, with only the information that the OP has provided, it is at least as likely to be a problem with the 18-55 lens itself or the electrical connection between the 18-55 lens and the camera. I have found that my K-30 will sometimes stop responding if it doesn't recognize the lens after the first unsuccessful attempt to mount it. Certainly confirm the version of the 55-300 lens first, but even if the OP has the PLM version and the camera has the modified K-50 firmware installed, the 18-55 lens could still be the problem.
I forgot to mention an important indication the threadopener (TO) gave us:
Her DA 18-55 works in LiveView mode!

This is typical for aperture block failure because often LV still works while photos taken throught he optical viewfinder are underexposed:

So the TO should check as I have described here:
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

If there would be problems with contacts (which I daubt very much), then LV wouldn't work either!

Last edited by photogem; 03-18-2020 at 07:21 AM.
03-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot to mention an important indication the threadopener (TO) gave us:
His 18-55 works in LiveView mode!

This is typical for aperture block failure because often LV still works while photos taken throught he optical viewfinder are underexposed:

So the TO should check as I have described here:
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

If there would be problems with contacts (which I daubt very much), then LV wouldn't work either!
First you are making several assumptions about this situation! First, that the OP is a guy you referred to the OP as His when infact her name is @Mary Ann 191 indicating that the OP is female. Secondly, you are also assuming that there has been a reflash of hacked firmware installed on her K-30 which is a remote possibility. Third, you are assuming that the 55-300 is a PLM versus the other versions of Pentax 55-300 lens that are available.

The problem with this being an aperture block failure is what she stated here:
As I continued to try to figure out what the problem is, I found the camera would not take photos with this lens, then the shutter would not release. Then it no longer worked even with live view. It didn't matter what mode I used, still no photo.
this points to some sort of failure of the lens communicating with the camera body. Until she responds with more information as to firmware and the lens model we can only guess what the problem really is.
03-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First you are making several assumptions about this situation!
Absolutly true, I make assumtions because we don't know yet anything more, until the threadopener (TO) can bring us more information!

First, that the OP is a guy you referred to the OP as His when infact her name is @Mary Ann 191 indicating that the OP is female.
Wrong: I used the term TO for threadopener and thus left it neutral. There are a few who have aliases which sound female but behind the person is male. So calm down.

Secondly, you are also assuming that there has been a reflash of hacked firmware installed on her K-30 which is a remote possibility.
Wrong! Neither you nor me nor anybody else knows right now, but firmware 1.10 is very popular, even official Pentax service places install it.
Anyway, I assume a, you asume b, nothing wrong with this!

Third, you are assuming that the 55-300 is a PLM versus the other versions of Pentax 55-300 lens that are available.
Well observed, and if my assumption is wrong, I am not going to shed any tear about it.
We try to help a person best we can.
This is not a competition!

The problem with this being an aperture block failure is what she stated here: this points to some sort of failure of the lens communicating with the camera body. Until she responds with more information as to firmware and the lens model we can only guess what the problem really is.
Thats what you want to see, fine.

I see a different possibility because in my experience with many many K30's I have repaired that if the solenoid stops working,

LiveView first works and then stops working.

So I assume and try to help.

Hopefully the TO can use our help and it does't matter who is right or wrong: As I said, this is no competition.

It isn't important who is right.

What is important is to help.
03-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #14

Original Poster
Sorry it's taken me until now to respond.

The 55 - 300 lens is HD Pentax - DA 1:4.5 - 6.3. 55 - 300 mm ED PLM WR RE.

The firmware is Version 1.00.

The 18 - 55mm lens is SMC Pentax - DA 1:3.5 - 5.6 18 - 55mm AL WR.

I took your suggestion and cleaned the contacts on the lens and the camera and tried taking pictures again with the 18 - 55mm lens. I was able to take a few with the viewfinder and live view, but the pictures are dark. I also took pictures with the 55 - 300mm lens right after, and the pictures are great, lots of light.
03-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #15

Original Poster
I took 17 pictures of glassware with live view and they were all fine. I turned the camera off and on as needed if I had to make notes and I didn't want to just leave the camera on.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo