Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I've used the AA battery adapter with rechargeable batteries and it worked very well. You could get the adapter and several sets of AA batteries for the price of one Pentax battery. I've tried an off brand replacement battery and based on my experience i would recommend the AA batteries and adapter.The off brand battery swelled and nearly became stuck in my camera and this was after very limited use, it just isn't worth the risk.
I use AA batteries with my K-30, and a mixture of Pentax and off-brand batteries with my KP.
I have had zero problems with any of them.
I regularly charge on Mondays and every evening while I travel, so I would notice any problem very quickly.

06-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by verona49 Quote
I am talking of the internal battery back-up for time and date. When I change D-LI109 I have to set again date and time.
That seems to be a problem with older lower-tier Pentax cameras.
My Q-7 also exhibits that behavior.
I just live with it - and keep my smart phone by my side when I change batteries.
06-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea to read the thread and at least the thread title.
He asked about the back-up battery, i.e. the tiny battery which acts like a C-MOS battery in a PC or laptop!

Which is a MS414 Seiko!

It also has zero connection to entry-level or semi-prof. Pentax bodies, it always is the same MS414 3V Lithium battery and aways fed by the main battery, no matter which one.

The reason why it might be drained more often with K30's, K50's etc. is that those Pentax bodies have been sold in much much larger quantities (particular the K30) than lets say the K5-series or K3.

Sold a lot to people who use it for holidays and then giving it a good rest for a longer time... and sadly without the main battery inside.
And exactly that is the problem, this MS414 needs a steady supply so it won't be completly discharged (which is its exodus).
From the moment this MS414 is at its end, it drains more energy from the main battery!
06-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Sold a lot to people who use it for holidays and then giving it a good rest for a longer time... and sadly without the main battery inside.
And exactly that is the problem, this MS414 needs a steady supply so it won't be completly discharged (which is its exodus).
From the moment this MS414 is at its end, it drains more energy from the main battery!
But storing camera with battery inside is an excellent way to have problems - swelling or even leaking - caused by that main battery. I would rather store it without the main battery - then give the body time to recharge before using it.
Frankly. any camera works best if it gets steady work - they don’t rest well.
Even though my K-30 suffered from “Dark Image Syndrome” shortly before I got my KP, I still make a point of using it occasionally.

06-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But storing camera with battery inside is an excellent way to have problems - swelling or even leaking - caused by that main battery. I would rather store it without the main battery - then give the body time to recharge before using it.
Frankly. any camera works best if it gets steady work - they don’t rest well.
Even though my K-30 suffered from “Dark Image Syndrome” shortly before I got my KP, I still make a point of using it occasionally.
I never ever had swelling or leaking with an orig. Pentax battery.
And I have several Pentax DSLR, as do relatives and friends who follow my advice and neither had that problem.

I can't remember ever reading here in this forum of swollen or jamming orig. Pentax batteries.

And in your case: AA-Eneloops with adapter:

Eneloops are known to keep their charge.

With a little bit of thinking one uses a calendar with an intelligent reminder.
06-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I never ever had swelling or leaking with an orig. Pentax battery.
And I have several Pentax DSLR, as do relatives and friends who follow my advice and neither had that problem.

I can't remember ever reading here in this forum of swollen or jamming orig. Pentax batteries.

And in your case: AA-Eneloops with adapter:

Eneloops are known to keep their charge.

With a little bit of thinking one uses a calendar with an intelligent reminder.
American experts discourage storing a device with batteries in it.
That is good enough for me.
I would think my practice of inspecting and charging batteries every Monday meets your “intelligent reminder” point.
I will not argue this point any further - a person can take whatever advice s/he chooses to take.
06-08-2021, 12:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And these American have written that where and those experts use Pentax cameras or similar and know about it?
C'mon, the net is full of socalled experts.

What we need here are Pentax Experts, no matter which continent.

Or do you have any proof that America (South- Middle or North) is a more dangerous place for batteries in Pentax cameras,
i.e. those batteries have a stronger tendency to jam or explode when they arrive in a continent with immense climate diversity.

Allow users that common-sense to decide for themselves and if you know there are dangers which socalled expert warn about (relating Li-Ion or Eneloops in DSLR or similar cameras) then provide links for that. Otherwise this remains in the make believe section

And don't forget: This is not about "you alone" but about "many" Pentax-users!

We have a responsibility when we make claims and advice others!

The very question of the TO is about the "back-up" battery which gets drained if one keeps the battery stored for a long time.

Instead of inspecting every monday one's backup camera and charging it for some time so the backup battery is not depleted
it is much easier to inspect the camera once every 2 month of the main battery is going low and then charge it.
Much more sensible, comfortable and.... without any risk.

If there is a risk: Proof please! Not just claims.

Anyway, your comments and insistance that there is some risk made me think a bit further and thus I opened a new thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/426380-why-you-shou...ml#post5316126

Study it first and think about my thoughts and claims!

Think about why laptops, smartphones, navigators, electrical toothbrushes, small electric powerdrills and....... oh...electric cars have Li-Ion batteries which cannot be exchanged without complex disassembly and why those are allowed to keep them inside
all the time but a Pentax camera is in danger because your socalled "American experts" say so!? (I don't think they exist!)

Last edited by photogem; 06-09-2021 at 12:14 AM. Reason: link for new thread added
06-12-2021, 01:13 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few days ago I had a K30 for repair (solenoid).

After I had done the repair I noticed that I had to set time and date again. I guessed it was the CMOS battery.
So I tried to give the CMOS some recharge, but it was useless, held it for 2-3 min and then lost it.

This was a camera of a well known photographer who used it for reportage, main Pentax is a 645D.
A typical case with special setting as well as "copyright information".
Now, anybody knowing what time is needed to deal all those informations in again and knowing what work (or costs) have to be invested if this CMOS is going to be exchanged (particular for those Pentax bodies with the CMOS on the backside of the mainboard!) it should be crystal clear that one keeps the main battery in and nothing else.

Particular with backup cameras which might be stored over a longer period as it must have happened in this case.