Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2020, 06:44 PM   #1

K-30/K-50 30 Second Black Picture Aperature Fix. EASY. SIMPLE.

Hey theres a LOT of posts about this here, but I haven't seen where anyone mentioned this... but it worked for me, and its worked for others, and its EASY and it takes less than a minute. I was literally ready to buy a new DSLR. This worked for me. Im happy.
I honestly feel this should be added to all the discussions where "tearing into the camera" is mentioned. I mean if it works.. even once, it could save someone from replacing their camera. Especially now that many of us are unemployed due to Covid19.

I cant take the credit. I copied this off youtube.

COPIED FROM YOUTUBE:

Another hack to get this fixed. It works for me on my K-30

1. Go to Menu > keep pressing the right on the 4-way button until you see the "spanner" icon > Go to 3 > Dust Removal > Select both Startup Action and Shutdown Action

2. Now switch off and ON. You will notice the camera stutters every time you off or on the camera

3. Go to Home and press the right 4 way key (timer icon) > Choose Continuous Shooting (Lo) and press and holder picture shooter button to continuously shoot pictures

4. Now choose Continuous Shooting (Hi) and take continuous pictures

By now the aperture would have set and issue resolved. Again works for me.
Show less

View 2 replies

Jon Braid
1 year ago

This other method worked for my camera, they don't like not being used for extended periods and the aperture motor sticks.

1.) Go to the camera menu to button customization and define the raw/FX button to "optical preview".

2.) Use Manual or AV mode and dial in an aperture other than open wide.

3.) Press the raw/FX button 10 to 20 times ( I did so). Every press you should hear the aperture lever working.

4.) Take some shots. At this point my K-30 did correct exposures with some exceptions. So I repeated the procedure until no wrong exposure occurred.

You may have to repeat several times.

Good luck!!!
Show less

---------- Post added 04-27-20 at 06:54 PM ----------

Ill add as I did in another post that I did the 1st fix and it worked, I haven't tried the second fix mentioned (and cannot vouge for it) because I have a working camera again and don't need to try the second hack. It may still prove to fail in the future but time will tell. For now Im just happy to get through another listing online. Ive turned it on and off several times and it seems fixed. Well see. I kept it on continuous shooting just in case.

04-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This method "sometimes" works BUT it usually only works for a short while, if it works. In some cases, it's been shown to make matters worse by damaging other components in the camera.

The ONLY method that provides a permanent fix is replacing the green solenoid with a white solenoid.

For members wanting to try the advice given above: Proceed at your own risk.
04-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

my fix of the K-30 aperture problem without disassembly: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

^ This one works better with less stress to the shutter. But yeah. It's also a temporary fix. It will eventually fail 100%.

The permanent fix is replacing the "green" solenoid with a "white" one like already stated.
04-27-2020, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VeganWithaPentax Quote
Hey theres a LOT of posts about this here, but I haven't seen where anyone mentioned this... but it worked for me, and its worked for others, and its EASY and it takes less than a minute.
Those methods have been discussed and as others already wrote, it works for a while. The basic problem isn't solved.

QuoteOriginally posted by VeganWithaPentax Quote
I honestly feel this should be added to all the discussions where "tearing into the camera" is mentioned. I mean if it works.. even once, it could save someone from replacing their camera.
Nobody tears the camera nor tears into it, people disassemble!

The problems which can arise with this method are explained HERE

Last edited by photogem; 04-27-2020 at 10:12 PM.