Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #1

K-50: Shutter stuck closed mirror stuck in upper position after power failure

I experimented with powering the Pentax K-50 from USB Power using a DC-DC step-up converter to reach 6.4 V.

Unluckily I did not think of adding a buffer condensator.

So, I tested the camera in B-mode everything worked fine but when I released the shutter, the camera made a continuous beeping sound (likely from shutter, or magnet, not from speaker, I think) and I could not switch it of.

Mirror stuck in upward position.

After adding normal batteries I could switch it on again. I heard 2 short beeps (again from shutter I think) and the menu was there. But the nmirror stays in upper position and the shutter won't open. Neither for normal shooting or live view nor for sensor cleaning.

So I seems I let the shutter-mirror system get stuck in a problematic state which can not recover on its own.

Is there any way to reset the mirror-shutter system w/o taking the camera apart ?

Is there a way when the camera is taken apart to reset the whole machanical system ?

I would be very grateful for some hints on how to fix this problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

05-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by aaron_r Quote
I experimented with powering the Pentax K-50 from USB Power using a DC-DC step-up converter to reach 6.4 V.

Unluckily I did not think of adding a buffer condensator.

So, I tested the camera in B-mode everything worked fine but when I released the shutter, the camera made a continuous beeping sound (likely from shutter, or magnet, not from speaker, I think) and I could not switch it of.

Mirror stuck in upward position.

After adding normal batteries I could switch it on again. I heard 2 short beeps (again from shutter I think) and the menu was there. But the nmirror stays in upper position and the shutter won't open. Neither for normal shooting or live view nor for sensor cleaning.

So I seems I let the shutter-mirror system get stuck in a problematic state which can not recover on its own.

Is there any way to reset the mirror-shutter system w/o taking the camera apart ?

Is there a way when the camera is taken apart to reset the whole machanical system ?

I would be very grateful for some hints on how to fix this problem.

Thank you very much in advance.
Unfortunately, the beeps indicate that you have system failure, it is not a power failure. The system failure is the result of your experiment. Perhaps you can try to reset the system to its original settings. But I fear that the beeps announced some unpleasantness regarding the further use of your camera.
05-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Unfortunately, the beeps indicate that you have system failure, it is not a power failure. The system failure is the result of your experiment. Perhaps you can try to reset the system to its original settings. But I fear that the beeps announced some unpleasantness regarding the further use of your camera.
Hm, that would be a pitty ... do you mean the factory reset or is there another way to also reset the mechanics ?
05-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had something similar happen just once with my K-3, a few years ago. In my case, the mirror was stuck half way up after I took the battery out during the infamous "shutter flap" problem. I was able to gentle pull the mirror into the down position, cycled the power off and on again, and it worked just fine after that.

I don't know if this is the same as your problem, but it may be worth a try (at your own risk, of course).

05-11-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I had something similar happen just once with my K-3, a few years ago. In my case, the mirror was stuck half way up after I took the battery out during the infamous "shutter flap" problem. I was able to gentle pull the mirror into the down position, cycled the power off and on again, and it worked just fine after that.

I don't know if this is the same as your problem, but it may be worth a try (at your own risk, of course).
Thanks for the hint. Unluckily, this doesn't work for me : (
05-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

does Live View still works?
05-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #7

You could try looking at the *istD series and K10D service manuals available on the Pentax Hacks website. The *istD manuals show how to set the timing on the mirror box gears. It's a major tear down to remove the diaphragm control block involving un-soldering. And the mechanisms between the *istD, K10D and K-30/50 are different so none of the timing marks or gear train maybe the same.

Removing the diaphragm control block involves a major tear-down including un-soldering. The service manuals will give you an idea of the work needed. The aperture and mirror box apparatus a different between the *istD, K10D and K-30/50 so none of the gear timing positioning may cross-over between models.

The service manual for the K-30/50 manual can be found online for a fee. It does not include the service software, interface cables and special tools so isn't of much use otherwise.
05-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
does Live View still works?
Nope, the cam tries but the shutter stays closed.

05-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #9

Hm, that would be a pitty ... do you mean the factory reset or is there another way to also reset the mechanics ?
I meant the factory reset. It are the "beeps" that worry me.
05-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nope, the cam tries but the shutter stays closed.
Then could be you damaged shutter charge motor.
Anyway try to power on your camera, choose Bulb mode 30 s, press the shutter, then quickly remove the battery and insert it quickly again.
05-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Then could be you damaged shutter charge motor.
Anyway try to power on your camera, choose Bulb mode 30 s, press the shutter, then quickly remove the battery and insert it quickly again.
Will try that, thanks.
Actually, this beep sounds really sound like a died small electric motor.
05-16-2020, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
😄 I had luck. It was "only" a broken shutter charge gear. I got the complete shutter charge system changed and now the cam is fine.

It was not due to my experimental power supply. Just happended in that moment by accident ...

Thanks for your interest and help : )
06-02-2020, 05:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you by any chance have any photos of this work?
6 Days Ago   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Do you by any chance have any photos of this work?
Sorry photogem, I do not have any photos.