Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

Need help with istDS to K-30 “solenoid transplant”

Hi,
I’m looking to transplant a white solenoid from my old istDS to the K-30.

My first problem is that the flash on the DS won’t open. How is the best way to open the flash? The camera works fine otherwise.

The next question is which solenoid? I guess I should use the one for the aperture as the flash solenoid could be defective.

Also, is opening the istDS similar to the K-30? I haven’t found any guides to opening the older cameras.

I just got new soldering kit and will have to practice a bit before attacking the cameras. Wish me luck.

05-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe you can slide a card under the flash to push the little catch that holds the flash down?

Subbing to this thread as I'm looking to do the same operation myself sometime this summer!
05-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #3

Down load the service manual from the Pentax-hack site. It shows how to cut down an old magnetic swipe card (e.g. credit card) to make a tool and how to use it. Basically any thin stiff piece of material can be slipped between the flash and body and used to push back the catch. The tear down procedures in the service manual are worth looking at.

http://www.pentax-hack.info/documents/downloads.html
05-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the link! Got the flash open easy enough.

Now just need to find time to work on my soldering technique.

05-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulirmi Quote
Hi,
I’m looking to transplant a white solenoid from my old istDS to the K-30.

My first problem is that the flash on the DS won’t open. How is the best way to open the flash? The camera works fine otherwise.

The next question is which solenoid? I guess I should use the one for the aperture as the flash solenoid could be defective.

Also, is opening the istDS similar to the K-30? I haven’t found any guides to opening the older cameras..
The *ist DS is very easy to open, no hidden screws.

Take the flash-solenoid, it wasn't used as much as the aperture solenoid, also it is less "in demand".

It is unlikely that it is the solenoid which stopped the pop-up function of the flash.
07-15-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the istDS is still able to accept batteries (My spares one was bought specifically to get a battery door for the functioning ist) then the release button should work. It was a happy chance that when I bought a dodgy K30 with the solenoid failure, there was still a good white solenoid in the donor camera.
It's not a difficult swap if you have a fine soldering iron and work methodically through the instructions on the sticky.
07-16-2020, 12:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dickmethlick Quote
If the ist*DS is still able to accept batteries (My spares one was bought specifically to get a battery door for the functioning ist) then the release button should work.
Not necessarely:

Often there are old Pentax bodies being sold 'for parts only' because they don't recognice batteries anymore or the powersupply itself is damaged. Sometimes because of leaked batteries but there can be different reasons.
Then one cannot open the flash via release button and needs to use a credit-card, tiny screwdriver... I use a scalpel-blade which is really thin.

But at times the flash won't open even if the camera works fine because the mechanism is stuck.
Worst scenario: The previous owner transplanted a green solenoid and got it wrong!

08-20-2020, 01:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulirmi Quote
Thanks for the link! Got the flash open easy enough.

Now just need to find time to work on my soldering technique.
And.... did you succeed?