Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the tips and tricks. I had already thought about the flash capacitor (as a curious kid I learned about electric circuits and voltage the hard way....)

08-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And now for the really good news: I thought for quite some time on how to best open it up and just when I had a strategy in mind, I gave it it one more try. Guess what: the thing's back to life again. I'm fully aware that this may just be a temporary resurection, but my K-50 is working again. Yay! Thanks everyone for thinking and helping.
08-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
And now for the really good news: I thought for quite some time on how to best open it up and just when I had a strategy in mind, I gave it it one more try. Guess what: the thing's back to life again. I'm fully aware that this may just be a temporary resurrection, but my K-50 is working again.
This is the so-called "zombie state"🧟.

But with some luck it might remain a working zombie... who knows!
08-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Zombie or not, it also takes pictures outside graveyards.

08-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Yeah I think it's toast. What was the shutter count?
It is not "toast".
Even if the body control of aperture stops functioning, you can use it - just have to choose lenses that have their own aperture control.
08-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It is not "toast".
Even if the body control of aperture stops functioning, you can use it - just have to choose lenses that have their own aperture control.
He did get it back to work, but it was not the aperture block (which works with the lenses in A mode).
In the first post the OP describes how he was using an M series lens (no A position) when the issues started happening, and that he can't use lenses with their own aperture control anymore. Also, that the camera mirror was stuck. Everything points to a larger failure not related to the solenoid.

Edit: missed the post where it is stated to "magically" start working again. But still, this was no solenoid failure.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 08-21-2020 at 08:21 AM.
08-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, his K50 is not toasted at all!
(I guess that's what is meant with "it't toast"?)

The steps are quite clear and well described:

- First there was the dark-image syndrom!

- Possibly then, when HoutHand first opened his body, he somehow jammed a cable or similar.

- Then, after he opened it again and reassembled it: All worked fine again.

He was lucky!

That the solenoid actuates again is typical: On a German website some guy suggests to open the body and then to loosen the plunger with a screwdriver. Not a good idea because as many in the comments suggest it won't last.

Somehow during all those disassemblies of HoutHans Pentax the plunger got that much demagnetised that it now works.

It possibly won't last forever (that is now common knowledge) but with some luck and if he uses his Pentax very regular and with AA's it might with some luck.

08-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

It was NOT the solenoid, it must have been another issue, probably power related.

The original post states - the M 100 f4 lens was used and it does NOT have an A setting... and the issue was a stuck mirror....
08-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, that is indeed the case. I asked him by PM to give me further details but you are quite right with those facts. I had missed this, sorry for that!
08-24-2020, 12:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

o.k., HoutHans uses mainly manual lenses, but the same problem came with his DA18-135!
So it could well be the solenoid which now works again.
What happen to some is that the mechanism for the aperture gets stuck. If one manually moves the plunger of the solenoid, one releases it again.
This at times can happen just by chance (without knowing what was done!)
Sheer good luck!