Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 01:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-50 appears to have died

Hello Fellow Pentaxians,

I'm not sure what happened to my K-50, but all images are completely dark and I can't hear the mirror going up anymore and when I select the sensor clean option in the menu with the lens off, the mirror stays in place. Does this mean that it's joined the heavenly choir of cameras no more? This happened when I had my M100/4 macro lens on it and the green button no longer worked (the diaphragm didn't actuate and all I could hear was a faint buzzing sound like a distant beep from within the camera).

Has anyone else experienced this and what are your suggestions? The camera is out of warranty, so I'll have to repair it myself or factor in an (expensive) repair.

all the best,
Hans

07-23-2020, 01:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It could be the solenoid that actuates the lens aperture. Sadly, this is a well known problem with the K-30 and K-50. Check out this thread.

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com
07-23-2020, 02:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would pull the battery and fully charge it, use the menu reset function and try a known good auto lens (DA) out and see what still works. Have you got the latest firmware 1.10?
07-23-2020, 02:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
It could be the solenoid that actuates the lens aperture. Sadly, this is a well known problem with the K-30 and K-50. Check out this thread.

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com
Yup, that could also be (part of) it, but I'm not sure whether that also affects the mirror, which is what happened with my K-50.

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 02:35 AM ----------

The battery is fully charged, but I don't seem to have the most recent firmware installed. I'll update that and see what happens, though I can't imagine that a firmware update would have this (sudden) effect.

07-23-2020, 04:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Yup, that could also be (part of) it, but I'm not sure whether that also affects the mirror, which is what happened with my K-50.

---------- Post added 07-23-20 at 02:35 AM ----------

The battery is fully charged, but I don't seem to have the most recent firmware installed. I'll update that and see what happens, though I can't imagine that a firmware update would have this (sudden) effect.
I have experience with the Aperture solenoid block problem on my K-S2. I replaced the solenoid with a white one, ordered in the US. Do not use the green one !. But i don't remember that the mirror lock up did not work with the dark pictures problem occuring. I live near Appingedam , (actually in Winsum). May be we can get in direct contact to do some investigations on your camera problem. I am also member of a photoclub "De Wiemers"in Loppersum. There are 4 members with a Pentax Dslr. May be you are interested too ?
07-23-2020, 05:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
I have experience with the Aperture solenoid block problem on my K-S2. I replaced the solenoid with a white one, ordered in the US. Do not use the green one !. But i don't remember that the mirror lock up did not work with the dark pictures problem occuring. I live near Appingedam , (actually in Winsum). May be we can get in direct contact to do some investigations on your camera problem. I am also member of a photoclub "De Wiemers"in Loppersum. There are 4 members with a Pentax Dslr. May be you are interested too ?
OK, now for the bad news first: the new firmware and another, fully charged Pentax original, battery did not help. The mirror is still not moving. On the upside of things: I have met a fellow Pentaxian very nearby. I'll definitely get in touch and send a PM and look up the photoclub. In the meantime all other help is appreciated.
07-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah I think it's toast. What was the shutter count?

07-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If the numbering of photos taken is the indicator of the shutter count, it lived for 7224 clicks.
07-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the numbering of photos taken is the indicator of the shutter count, it lived for 7224 clicks.
To get the shutter count, find the last jpeg you took with it and use this page:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
07-23-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

when I select the sensor clean option in the menu with the lens off, the mirror stays in place.
The mirror movement and aperture stop down are powered by the same motor. If the motor or the electronics that control it go bad, both mirror movement and aperture control will fail. Problems with the solenoid in the aperture control block will not affect mirror movement, but problems with mirror control will affect both.

Steve
07-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The mirror movement and aperture stop down are powered by the same motor.
That is not the case!

Only the aperture stop-down is controlled by the solenoid!

The mirror-up movement is controlled by a motor which happens to sit on the same PCP board as the solenoid.

The shutter is controlled by two pretty powerful solenoids

@HoutHans:
If it would be just the solenoid (aperture-control or also called diaphragm-control-unit) then the mirror would still work.
But if the mirror does not work anymore which is pretty rare this indicates that the mirror-motor is not acting.

This repair is very time-consuming, one has to disassemble the complete camera.
A complex undertaking.

What I would do is to open the camera:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/385045-manual-solen...id-choice.html
and then check.

Maybe with some luck just a wire broke of.

Did you ever replace the solenoid of this K50?

Last edited by photogem; 08-19-2020 at 11:32 PM.
07-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

@photogem, my statement is based on a reading of the patent document as well as descriptions from Pentax.

Steve
07-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
That is not the case!

Only the aperture stop-down is controlled by the solenoid!

The mirror-up movement is controlled by a motor which happens to sit on the same PCP board as the solenoid.

The shutter is controlled by two pretty powerful solenoids

@HoutHans:
If it would be must the solenoid (aperture-control or also calle diaphragm-control-unit) then the mirror would still work.
But if the mirror does not work anymore which is pretty rare this indicates that the mirror-motor is not acting.

This repair is very time-consuming, one has to disassemble the complete camera.
A complex undertaking.

What I would do is to open the camera:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
and then check.

Maybe with some luck just a wire broke of.

Did you ever replace the solenoid of this K50?
Nope, I never replaced the solenoid. I'll just open it up and try to diagnose the fault. There will always be something to learn at the very least (I really enjoyed opening stuff as a kid, figuring out how stuff would work). I'll keep you posted.
07-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll just open it up and try to diagnose the fault.
Please drop the battery out sometime before you open it up, to allow the flash capacitor to discharge. Lots of volts there you don't want to touch.
07-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
@photogem, my statement is based on a reading of the patent document as well as descriptions from Pentax.
Can you quote those descriptions/sources + marked were this would be indicated?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Please drop the battery out sometime before you open it up, to allow the flash capacitor to discharge. Lots of volts there you don't want to touch.
This won't do it. The voltage stays there for days:
How to discharge the photo-flash capacitor of a DSLR (here K-30/K-50/K-500) - PentaxForums.com