Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #1

Can I go back to V 1.05 from V1.06 firmware for K30

I installed official V1.06 firmware from Pentax for my K30. However I feel that my previous version 1.05 was better. This new update is glitchy. Is it safe to go back to previous firmware. If so how? And I am a novice user. I bought this to shoot before after treatment photos for my dental patients. Do guide and thanks a lot in advance
Dr Ripal Kotak

firmware, k-30, k-50, k30, pentax k30, pentax k50, v1.06

Last edited by Dr Ripal K Kotak; 08-22-2020 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Want to add tags
08-22-2020, 01:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That would be very unusual Ripal. The 1.05 - 1.06 update only added support for the rear converter (which I assume you are not using) and some "stability" updates. I haven't heard of any problems caused by it.

However, the K-30 is potentially vulnerable to "aperture block failure", which has nothing to do with firmware. What is the nature of the problems you are seeing?
08-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go and get "our" 1.10 K50 firmware for your K30:
Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com

That is by far the best!
08-22-2020, 11:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That would be very unusual Ripal. The 1.05 - 1.06 update only added support for the rear converter (which I assume you are not using) and some "stability" updates. I haven't heard of any problems caused by it.

However, the K-30 is potentially vulnerable to "aperture block failure", which has nothing to do with firmware. What is the nature of the problems you are seeing?
Thanks Paul for the help. After I installed V 1.06 my lenses fstop doesn't go to minimum value. So the standard lens provided with the kit doesnt go to 3.2or 3.5 and my prime lens doesn't go to 1.8. I need to reduce the shutter speed and increase the ISO considerably. Its difficult with a slow shutter speed as my hand invariably is unable to hold a steady position for long. Also the images are not as great as I originally used to get. ISO also first I could keep at 100 or 200. Now I need to go to 800. I don't know what to do. I researched well before buying Pentax and thought it was much better than other brands. I want to buy a macro lens in future but with this issue happening I am uncertain. I installed the V1.06 first from Windows installer. Then I came across a post that said use the Mac installer and rename one file or something like that. When I installed the file from the Mac installer, the situation slightly improved. But the problem still exists. Please guide. I am completely lost. And I really appreciate the guidance. Thank you.

08-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I several times changed the firmware to the k-30 back and forth... no problems

Last edited by Martin Stu; 08-22-2020 at 11:54 PM.
08-23-2020, 01:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Ripal K Kotak Quote
Thanks Paul for the help. After I installed V 1.06 my lenses fstop doesn't go to minimum value. So the standard lens provided with the kit doesnt go to 3.2or 3.5 and my prime lens doesn't go to 1.8. I need to reduce the shutter speed and increase the ISO considerably. Its difficult with a slow shutter speed as my hand invariably is unable to hold a steady position for long. Also the images are not as great as I originally used to get. ISO also first I could keep at 100 or 200. Now I need to go to 800. I don't know what to do. I researched well before buying Pentax and thought it was much better than other brands. I want to buy a macro lens in future but with this issue happening I am uncertain. I installed the V1.06 first from Windows installer. Then I came across a post that said use the Mac installer and rename one file or something like that. When I installed the file from the Mac installer, the situation slightly improved. But the problem still exists. Please guide. I am completely lost. And I really appreciate the guidance. Thank you.
Windows or Mac won't make a difference; it's the same file.

Firstly, has the light level changed where you are taking the pictures? If you are using less powerful lighting now, the camera will try to use higher iso or longer exposure, depending on the mode you are using. TAv mode might give you the best control (apart from M).

Is it also possible you changed some settings in the menus? You can reset to factory defaults using the "spanner set-up 2" menu. See p. 217 of the manual.
08-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost impossible that the better firmware itself leads to such problems!

I had to re-read your message few times for understanding your problem better: First I understood you would not be able to chose low aperture-value on the camera itself via turning the wheels accordingly.
But now I got it, member "Paul the Sunman" was most likely right with his first assumption!

Your symptoms are typical for the stuck solenoid, i.e. aperture control not working anymore:
Check by applying one or more of those methods:

Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

The LiveView check is straight forward and easy.

Any photo taken with aperture full closed should be fine (such as f22 or f32 depending on the lens)
Any photos taken "wide open" (f1,8 DA50/1,8 which I guess is your prime and f3.5 on the kitlens DA18-55) will be dark

I am pretty sure this is your problem.