Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3
K50 auto exposure in live view

K50 on movie mode
Lens is Pentax-A 50mm on manual 2.82 aperture - no auto focus on this lens
All noise reduction, shake, etc is turned off. I want the full manual experience
Live view all info and meters are on
Movie exposure setting is on M, FullHD 1080p at 30fps
Shutter is at 1/60 and ISO 100-800 depending on light
Metering on Spot
White balance manual using grey card

When framing and setting exposure in the live view before starting to record a video, the LCD is somehow adjusting the exposure manually, though I have everything I can find set to manual. When pointing to light and dark areas in the center of view, you can see exposure being adjusted automatically and white/black warnings appearing then being corrected and disappearing. When starting the video recording, this doesn't happen anymore. The exposure stays the same no matter where the spot meter is pointing. How do I turn it off in the live view before recording?

Thanks!

09-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,616
I don't think this is possible on the K-50, but I may be wrong. AFAIK they didn't add proper manual preview in live view until the K-3.

You should, however, be able to assess the exposure somewhat accurately based on the EV scale.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think this is possible on the K-50, but I may be wrong. AFAIK they didn't add proper manual preview in live view until the K-3.

You should, however, be able to assess the exposure somewhat accurately based on the EV scale.
Thanks @adam I have actually been looking at the K3 as an alternative. It has a mic input and monitor jack so that would be a big plus. The only reason I have a Pentax in spite of the below average video capability is that my father in law gave me a bunch of old Pentax lenses. It's been a great education, but I may return it and go for the K3. In your opinion is this worth it for an extra 100$ or so, or should I bide my time and save up for a more recent video focused camera?
09-11-2020, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,616
QuoteOriginally posted by matto Quote
Thanks @adam I have actually been looking at the K3 as an alternative. It has a mic input and monitor jack so that would be a big plus. The only reason I have a Pentax in spite of the below average video capability is that my father in law gave me a bunch of old Pentax lenses. It's been a great education, but I may return it and go for the K3. In your opinion is this worth it for an extra 100$ or so, or should I bide my time and save up for a more recent video focused camera?
If that's the price difference, then I'd say the K-3 is definitely worth it. I'm sure the new model soon replacing the K-3 will have better video specs, but it isn't expected to outclass the competition in that regard.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 310
Perhaps they borrowed this from Samsung. If I turn on my NX100 it turns to a dark lcd but as soon as I start pointing it to a subject it lights up so that I can see the what is in the picture. If I turn it to a dark spot it gets lighter and if I turn to a bright spot it darkens a bit, so I always see a well lit clear picture. It is just a help to frame your picture and make clear what your pointing at. When later on I acquired a K-01 it did the same. Both camera's only have live view, of course. I took my K-3II and if I turn to live view it does the same. It is some kind of focusing assist system, because you cannot otherwise spot the subject if your viewfinder is all dark. It has nothing to do with exposure, it is a system so you can see the subject your aiming at. That is what your K-50 does and what my different camera's also do. It is not adjusting your settings, because the moment you make the exposure or start your video the camera will use your settings. You cannot turn it of because it is a requirement to be able to use live view.
09-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Perhaps they borrowed this from Samsung. If I turn on my NX100 it turns to a dark lcd but as soon as I start pointing it to a subject it lights up so that I can see the what is in the picture. If I turn it to a dark spot it gets lighter and if I turn to a bright spot it darkens a bit, so I always see a well lit clear picture. It is just a help to frame your picture and make clear what your pointing at. When later on I acquired a K-01 it did the same. Both camera's only have live view, of course. I took my K-3II and if I turn to live view it does the same. It is some kind of focusing assist system, because you cannot otherwise spot the subject if your viewfinder is all dark. It has nothing to do with exposure, it is a system so you can see the subject your aiming at. That is what your K-50 does and what my different camera's also do. It is not adjusting your settings, because the moment you make the exposure or start your video the camera will use your settings. You cannot turn it of because it is a requirement to be able to use live view.
Interesting, thanks @afterpentax! It looks like there's no way to see exactly what you're going to get before hitting record, so I just started adjusting ISO after hitting record and discarding the first few seconds of the file. Unfortunately there's no focus peaking during recording. I went ahead and traded up to a K3 and going to use a monitor with built in tools, hopefully can get around these problems.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, exposure, k-30, k-50, k50, k50 auto exposure, live, movie, pentax k30, pentax k50, spot, video, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K50 Exposure is much different from live view to view finder neptune Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 23 02-10-2018 09:07 PM
live view noise and smc dfa 100mm f2.8 macro lens not focusing in live view tommygunn84 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 11-24-2016 08:59 PM
Typical live view humming, when not in live view. lightsource Pentax K-1 8 05-05-2016 02:20 AM
K5 Live View: Live Exposure Adjustments Visible in "M" Mode? godwinaustin Pentax K-5 6 08-13-2013 08:11 PM
Auto exposure in live view issue. pwrlogic Video and Pentax HDSLRs 4 10-22-2010 10:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top