Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Hi Jimmypage, I repeat again to make it clear, AF adjustment is not for manual focus lenses, but for autofocus lenses. Because you need a lens that can interact, that is, give information to, the camera. An mf-lens of K&M mount can not do that. So it is actually fine tuning the camera to work with a certain AF lens or all of your lenses. Read the message from pschlute, he explains it very well.
I think I understand his point, but my point is that the autofocus is designed such that it can be engaged for certain purposes with manual lens. CIF is the most obvious, but it can also be used to assist you when focusing manual lenses. To the extent that my camera is designed to do that, I want it to be able to do it well. I tend to work with wide apertures and I don't have much room for error.

11-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fine tune won't work with manual focus lenses because they don't fully communicate with the camera body.
11-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeprotts Quote
There are a few pointers based on my experience.

Often the wrong focus point is picked - especially common to pick up a small clump of grass in front of a bird on the ground. I've had perfectly focused pictures of dandelions with a blurry bird behind ;-).

It's better to tune the focus based on something at a similar distance to your normal usage, I find a fence taken at a narrow angle gives good results.

Adjust the dioptre setting in the viewfinder (I use mine without glasses although I need them for astigmatism at any distance & long sightedness) and trust your vision rather than the hexagon.
Ah yes! The diopter, That may well be the source of my issues too. I have a manual focus Samyang 85mm F1.4 and I always find it front focusses. I am absolutely sure my subject is in focus and am constantly disappointed to find a lack of accuracy in my focussing. Maybe, just mayve the diopter is tha cause of my issues. Food for thought indeed
11-17-2020, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Fine tune won't work with manual focus lenses because they don't fully communicate with the camera body.
That is not strictly correct.. I agree that because there is no camera -lens communication you cannot use the APPLY ONE AF/FA menu to adjust for a specific manual lens. But you are able to use the APPLY ALL menu to make a global adjustment. If you now exit the menu while in the APPLY ALL setting, then all lenses (manual and autofocus) will use that global adjustment. If you mount a manual lens then the green hexagon focus confirmation (which is part of the AF system) will also be using that global adjustment.

11-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #20
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmypage Quote
I think I understand his point, but my point is that the autofocus is designed such that it can be engaged for certain purposes with manual lens. CIF is the most obvious, but it can also be used to assist you when focusing manual lenses. To the extent that my camera is designed to do that, I want it to be able to do it well. I tend to work with wide apertures and I don't have much room for error.
I understand that, but the point is, AF adjust is meant for AF-lenses. That you can use it with a manual focus lens for catch in focus or to assist you in focusing with the green hexagon does not mean that you can use a manual lens to adjust the AF. So my advise is that you take an AF lens and adjust the AF if necessary. After you have done that you manual lens will profit from the correction. Especially as you have not much room for error as you wrote, you will have lots of error if you try to adjust AF with means of an MF-lens, because that is not what it was designed for.
11-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
So my advise is that you take an AF lens and adjust the AF if necessary. After you have done that you manual lens will profit from the correction
That will only hold true if you use the APPLY ALL AF/FA menu. If you use the APPLY ONE menu to adjust one or more AF lenses, when you then mount a manual lens on the camera it will revert to whatever the APPLY ALL setting is....which may still be zero.

I know that not all Pentax DSLRs have the option to do a AF/FA both for individual lenses, and for a single global setting. For cameras that do both, the best practice is to do your adjustments for AF lenses individually, and then if needed make an adjustment to the global setting for manual lenses.
11-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That will only hold true if you use the APPLY ALL AF/FA menu. If you use the APPLY ONE menu to adjust one or more AF lenses, when you then mount a manual lens on the camera it will revert to whatever the APPLY ALL setting is....which may still be zero.

I know that not all Pentax DSLRs have the option to do a AF/FA both for individual lenses, and for a single global setting. For cameras that do both, the best practice is to do your adjustments for AF lenses individually, and then if needed make an adjustment to the global setting for manual lenses.
Does the ALL setting apply on top of individual lens settings? If so the ALL would need to be set properly before the lens specific settings.

11-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the ALL setting apply on top of individual lens settings? If so the ALL would need to be set properly before the lens specific settings.
No

The camera will use either the APPLY ONE setting for lenses correctly adjusted, or it will use the APPLY ALL setting, it cannot add them together. This is why it is important when you exit the AF/FA menu that you do so correctly. This is not clearly spelled out in the manual.
11-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No

The camera will use either the APPLY ONE setting for lenses correctly adjusted, or it will use the APPLY ALL setting, it cannot add them together. This is why it is important when you exit the AF/FA menu that you do so correctly. This is not clearly spelled out in the manual.
Thanks for clarifying - something I need to check.

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 12:39 PM ----------

Thanks for clarifying - something I need to check.
I've checked the settings. If I have a recognised lens, it uses option 3 (Apply One), if it's not a recognised lens it uses option 2 (Apply All). I assume that's because I saved when it was with the adjusted lens.
11-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've checked the settings. If I have a recognised lens, it uses option 3 (Apply One), if it's not a recognised lens it uses option 2 (Apply All). I assume that's because I saved when it was with the adjusted lens.
That is the correct behaviour when you exit the menu in APPLY ONE. Your recognised lens gets the registered correction. Your unrecognised lens will default to APPLY ALL.

Your APPLY ALL Setting will be whatever you have set it to.... which may be zero if you have made no adjustment.