Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2020, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
K 50 and 16-45 Multnomah Falls in Oregon, USA

Here is my first Post of a Pic. I hope Im posting in the right place.

I am from Georgia. I traveled to Oregon for Christmas with my son and his wife last year. It is beautiful out there.

I used Photoshop just to level this pic and to reduce the size for posting. Im pretty sure I used the auto settings. It was a cold drizzly day and I just wanted to get a few serviceable pictures. I like this one the best. Especially the green moss on the tree on the right.
I really wish there was more definition. Can anyone explain how I would do that with this camera? I am really tempted by the new k33 coming out . But I mean if I used manual mode would I raise or lower the stop, or the iso or the shutter to make the details come through. Yep Im a newby. Please be detailed. I can take it.

Thank You for viewing!
Ken

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/120097-risxsoul/albums/13836-ris...ture133299.gif
I had to go back and level it again. Im glad I wasnt building a house. It would have fallen over.

Last edited by Risxsoul; 11-29-2020 at 10:47 AM.
11-29-2020, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE - PentaxForums.com
11-29-2020, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beautiful scenery Risxsoul!
11-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
I see what I did there. I meant to say I took the pic on auto and only used photoshop to level and reduce the size. At least i think I think I see what I did. But I've been wrong today already, so who knows?

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 10:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
beautiful scenery Risxsoul!
Thank You SergySergy!

11-29-2020, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, it's better to save/export from Photoshop your files as a jpg instead of a gif. Gif files don't save the EXIF data, which would tell us all of the settings you used. If we saw the settings it would be much easier to see where you could improve. It is a nice photo, but it lacks a little contrast, and it looks to be like there is possible camera shake. One question, did you have the hood on the lens? If not that could explain the contrast. If you could tell us all of the data like aperture, shutter speed, etc, that would help. Or better yet upload a jpeg file, original if you have it.
11-29-2020, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. Multnomah Falls is local to me and a frequent source of inspiration. In the future, you will probably want to save your photography files as JPEG rather than GIF. GIF works well for images consisting mostly as single color blocks and rather poorly for continuous tone images such as photographs.

Steve
11-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
jpeg

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
First, it's better to save/export from Photoshop your files as a jpg instead of a gif. Gif files don't save the EXIF data, which would tell us all of the settings you used. If we saw the settings it would be much easier to see where you could improve. It is a nice photo, but it lacks a little contrast, and it looks to be like there is possible camera shake. One question, did you have the hood on the lens? If not that could explain the contrast. If you could tell us all of the data like aperture, shutter speed, etc, that would help. Or better yet upload a jpeg file, original if you have it.
okay, learning photoshop. I used save for Web and saved as Jpeg. I set the width to 1400. Lets see if this has what you need. Thanks so much!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/120097-risxsoul/albums/13836-ris...ture133308.jpg

Last edited by Risxsoul; 11-29-2020 at 05:50 PM.
11-29-2020, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Please see my post above about how to post photos.
11-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Learning mode and the fire hose...

Hey Parallax. Ive been going back and forth to that post today. Thanks for the link. I should have replied sooner.

Ken
11-29-2020, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely photo. I have the same combo an really like it.
11-29-2020, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Risxsoul Quote
okay, learning photoshop. I used save for Web and saved as Jpeg. I set the width to 1400. Lets see if this has what you need. Thanks so much!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/120097-risxsoul/albums/13836-ris...ture133308.jpg
Unfortunately "save for web" doesn't preserve the EXIF data. You can save to a smaller size, or just submit the original photo, PentaxForums will resize to fit.
12-01-2020, 05:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
Okay, update. Y'alls questions and answers have let me know that I need more basic camera skills. I have Amazon Prime so I went and found 2 good DVD series one about just ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. Another about that and Formal and Informal composition. First I turned on M on the K50. I thought okay i am full manual. I took some pics. I used my lights and Umbrellas and found ver high ISO. I found that I had the camera set to bias toward fast shutter speed (Moving pet pics). So now I turned that off. Now according to the video I should leave the white balance auto. Apparently this auto setting is one that the camera isnt often fooled about. I will post Manual pics here for review. Thank You all for your input. I think I will have more relevant questions soon. =)

Ken

---------- Post added 12-01-20 at 05:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Risxsoul Quote
Okay, update. Y'alls questions and answers have let me know that I need more basic camera skills. I have Amazon Prime so I went and found 2 good DVD series one about just ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed. Another about that and Formal and Informal composition. First I turned on M on the K50. I thought okay i am full manual. I took some pics. I used my lights and Umbrellas and found ver high ISO. I found that I had the camera set to bias toward fast shutter speed (Moving pet pics). So now I turned that off. Now according to the video I should leave the white balance auto. Apparently this auto setting is one that the camera isnt often fooled about. I will post Manual pics here for review. Thank You all for your input. I think I will have more relevant questions soon. =)

Ken
Please see Introducing Biscuit! for what i think is my first fully manual pic post!