Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

K-50 and ALL upcoming PLM lenses?

Is there any way to know yet if all the upcoming PLM lenses will work on a K-50 with the latest firmware update? Ricoh released a video stating the upcoming DA* 16-50 PLM would only work on cameras from the K-S1 forward. I would hope the latest firmware isn’t somehow limited to the DA 55-300 PLM specifically. Hard to tell from the firmware description note. These days you have to special order Pentax products in Canada with no return agreements, so ambiguity makes it difficult to plan ahead. I would hope the last update is KAF4 across the board. Anyone know how to affirm this?

12-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50 already works with KAF4 lenses AFAIC, I think it is lens corrections that might be missing?
12-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
...I think it is lens corrections that might be missing?
That is the prevailing wisdom. The camera supports the mount and will treat the newer lenses like any others whose id is not found in its lookup table for correction factors. The K-S1 cut-off is sort of interesting. Apparently there is about a six-year look-back for firmware support of new lens releases. The K-S1 slipped in just under wire with its late 2014 release. Fortunately for users of Adobe Lightroom, ACR, and DNG Convertor the Ricoh-sourced lens profiles come with the updates to those products. They may have to be manually applied, but still nice to have them at times.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-19-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Completeness
12-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the prevailing wisdom. The camera supports the mount and will treat the newer lenses like any others whose id is not found in its lookup table for correction factors. The K-S1 cut-off is sort of interesting. Apparently there is about a six-year look-back for firmware support of new lens releases. The K-S1 slipped in just under wire with its late 2014 release. Fortunately for users of Adobe Lightroom, ACR, and DNG Convertor the Ricoh-sourced lens profiles come with the updates to those products. They may have to be manually applied, but still nice to have them at times.

Steve
I wonder if that means the K3 will miss out too

12-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If it's a KAF4 it will e compatible, as for the lens profile... you can use Lightroom for that.
12-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I wonder if that means the K3 will miss out too
I think that is a safe assumption.

Steve
12-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #7

PLM is for autofocus and is interfaces with the power zoom contacts. According to the lens compatibility checker autofocus on PLM lenses will work on my K10D. with firmware v1.30+ If the lens is KAF4 with the electromagnetic aperture the aperture cannot be controlled on my K10D.

So unless Ricoh is changing the protocols for PLM that require further updates to firmware and all PLM lenses from now on will also be KAF4 I don't see a reason for limitation by body.

12-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should work with the latest firmware enabling KAF4 mount. Lens corrections will have to be applied in post.
12-19-2020, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Apparently there is about a six-year look-back for firmware support of new lens releases. The K-S1 slipped in just under wire with its late 2014 release.
Maybe it is less than 6 years Steve? When the first KAF4 lens (the DA 55-300 PLM) was released in 2016, there was no supporting firmware update for the K-5 (2010), the K-5ii/K-5iis (2012), the K-01 (2012) or the K-30 (2012).

It's a shame that Ricoh don't treat the flagship models differently - they are made to last and people probably keep them longer. I guess if it is only lens correction profiles that will be missing, it is not so critical.
12-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter_JDH Quote
Is there any way to know yet if all the upcoming PLM lenses will work on a K-50 with the latest firmware update? Ricoh released a video stating the upcoming DA* 16-50 PLM would only work on cameras from the K-S1 forward. I would hope the latest firmware isn’t somehow limited to the DA 55-300 PLM specifically. Hard to tell from the firmware description note. These days you have to special order Pentax products in Canada with no return agreements, so ambiguity makes it difficult to plan ahead. I would hope the last update is KAF4 across the board. Anyone know how to affirm this?
Since that firmware update came out four years ago they could not include lenses that were not produced yet. But the video from this year says it is not going to work. I'm going to guess it's not going to work with the K-50, but we'll see when it comes out.
12-20-2020, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Maybe it is less than 6 years Steve? When the first KAF4 lens (the DA 55-300 PLM) was released in 2016, there was no supporting firmware update for the K-5 (2010), the K-5ii/K-5iis (2012), the K-01 (2012) or the K-30 (2012).

It's a shame that Ricoh don't treat the flagship models differently - they are made to last and people probably keep them longer. I guess if it is only lens correction profiles that will be missing, it is not so critical.
The K3 has had one in the last six months. It is a shame though. There are a lot of K5ii and K3 users out there. You would think they would keep rolling out the updates to bodies that can handle the camera. I have no plans to ditch my K3 and it would be nice to know I could use the same lenses on both that and the KP.
12-20-2020, 01:12 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The K3 has had one in the last six months. It is a shame though. There are a lot of K5ii and K3 users out there. You would think they would keep rolling out the updates to bodies that can handle the camera. I have no plans to ditch my K3 and it would be nice to know I could use the same lenses on both that and the KP.
I guess we will just have to see. My K-3 has no difficulty being mated to third-party lenses that are not in its lookup tables and would expect that if I were to mount a D FA* 50/1.4 or D FA* 85/1.4 or D FA 70-210/4.0 it would simply focus and do all its normal stuff despite only being on firmware v1.30 with no formal firmware support for any of those three lenses.

That said, I have no intent of purchase of any of the new lenses or the three listed above. Hmmmm...might be interested in the DA* 16-50/2.8 if my Sigma 17-70 quits, but probably not a near-term purchase.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-20-2020 at 01:21 AM.
12-20-2020, 02:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess we will just have to see. My K-3 has no difficulty being mated to third-party lenses that are not in its lookup tables and would expect that if I were to mount a D FA* 50/1.4 or D FA* 85/1.4 or D FA 70-210/4.0 it would simply focus and do all its normal stuff despite only being on firmware v1.30 with no formal firmware support for any of those three lenses.

That said, I have no intent of purchase of any of the new lenses or the three listed above. Hmmmm...might be interested in the DA* 16-50/2.8 if my Sigma 17-70 quits, but probably not a near-term purchase.

Steve
I am just sad that my beloved K3 has got to the age where it doesn't get updates lol. To be honest, it is probably as stable as its ever going to be

I wouldn't mind the DA* 16-50 or the 50mm f1.4, but as I just had to give myself a stern talking to over a 15mm limited in the marketplace that is ⅔ what it goes for on fleabay, I can't see a star lens on my horizon any time soon
12-20-2020, 03:51 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it will work fine, it just won't have lens corrections in the firmware. The lens will be KAF 4 (aperture controlled electronically) and so on cameras prior to the K-50 (or K-30 with ported K-50 firmware), it will only shoot wide open. It would still focus, as far as I can tell.
12-21-2020, 12:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it will work fine, it just won't have lens corrections in the firmware. The lens will be KAF 4 (aperture controlled electronically) and so on cameras prior to the K-50 (or K-30 with ported K-50 firmware), it will only shoot wide open. It would still focus, as far as I can tell.
To be honest, that's all you need. I can do lens corrections in lightroom