Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
FWIW I found the K70 in-hand to be really similar to the K-50 but with even better control. The KP was the one that I wished I had held before purchasing it, the only Pentax camera I had that was "not like the others". Between the grip and the gosh-darn confusion between the IMO mispositioned BBF and green button made it and me a divorce waiting to happen. Others obviously have no issue with either one. Had it not been for those two things which were showstoppers for me I'd be carrying two KP's instead as the camera itself is the overall more feature-rich of the two.
Ahhrggg... yes, I know exactly what you are talking about.
I was used to BBF from my K30 which has the AF/AE-L Button in the perfect position as well as the green button on top.

I applied BBF to my K5II (and K5IIs which is gone), here the AF button was fine in position particular because my thumb could feel/sense it very well (nicely surrounded).
With the KP I find myself still missing the AF/AE-L at times and mixing it up with the green button (also because I use both, the K5II and sometimes still the K30)

But I don't find the position on the K-70 better.

I use this method explained here
which I think is worth studying in not known.

12-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
FWIW I found the K70 in-hand to be really similar to the K-50 but with even better control. The KP was the one that I wished I had held before purchasing it, the only Pentax camera I had that was "not like the others". Between the grip and the gosh-darn confusion between the IMO mispositioned BBF and green button made it and me a divorce waiting to happen. Others obviously have no issue with either one. Had it not been for those two things which were showstoppers for me I'd be carrying two KP's instead as the camera itself is the overall more feature-rich of the two.
Thanks for that. I can check locally if they have a K-70 first, but I'm sure I'll get the best deal online.
03-03-2021, 04:50 AM   #18

Original Poster
So, Initially I was hoping to upgrade to a K-70 from my current K-50, but after holding it and getting a "feel" for it in person,I was under-whelmed. Just felt small and plasticky.

Sooooo, I ordered a used K-3 from Henry's (Canadian version of B&H) last night and added a 2 yr warranty. I thought that was prudent...it is 6-8yrs old.
When I bought my K-50, the K-3 was my favoured camera, but the price was too restrictive at that time.

Did I make the right choice? Did I even have to switch bodies? I kinda have second thoughts right now that will likely disappear when the camera gets here.
Polite discussion is welcome here.
03-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wem59 Quote
So, Initially I was hoping to upgrade to a K-70 from my current K-50, but after holding it and getting a "feel" for it in person,I was under-whelmed. Just felt small and plasticky.

Sooooo, I ordered a used K-3 from Henry's (Canadian version of B&H) last night and added a 2 yr warranty. I thought that was prudent...it is 6-8yrs old.
When I bought my K-50, the K-3 was my favoured camera, but the price was too restrictive at that time.

Did I make the right choice? Did I even have to switch bodies? I kinda have second thoughts right now that will likely disappear when the camera gets here.
Polite discussion is welcome here.
I can understand your choice very well.

The K3 is a great body and very rugged.

Keeping in mind that Ricoh expects a shutterlife of 200.000 and the extra warranty, you have a great workhorse.

03-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think, and believe, you will enjoy the K3. I have both a K30 and a K50 but decided to upgrade once I became aware of the ABF issue with those cameras. First picking up the K3 was a revelation, it felt and handled so much better, and it pushed me towards taking better photos and improve my technique. I kept the earlier cameras as a backup(I've self-repaired ABF in the K50), or to use in situations when the camera might be "at risk".

Enjoy
03-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Something about the K-70 that I don't think has been mentioned here before - it has a higher burst rate (6 fps) than the K-50 (albeit with a smaller buffer than the K-3/K-3 II). It's become my "go to" walkabout camera because it's also a better all round camera body.

PS: and then the next purchase should probably be a 55-300 PLM - works great with the K-70 (as it did with my K-30/ "K-50")

PPS: get a K-70 and then your K-50 will become the "backup".
03-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Something about the K-70 that I don't think has been mentioned here before - it has a higher burst rate (6 fps) than the K-50 (albeit with a smaller buffer than the K-3/K-3 II). It's become my "go to" walkabout camera because it's also a better all round camera body.

PS: and then the next purchase should probably be a 55-300 PLM - works great with the K-70 (as it did with my K-30/ "K-50")

PPS: get a K-70 and then your K-50 will become the "backup".
He had a K70 and didn't like the feel of it... was underwhelmed
So he purchased a K3, meaning the K70 is out.

03-04-2021, 02:09 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Must have missed that - Sorry!
03-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well, Cold feet changed my mind and I cancelled the K-3......For now, I think I'll just use the K-50 until it breaks or dies....
I'll invest in a new lens (Pentax 18-135) until that happens. Not the best but more in keeping with my budget right now....
maybe drag out a few of my M42 lenses to experiment abit too....

Wise advise has been to invest in better glass.
Thanks to all for the replies.
03-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, Cold feet changed my mind and I cancelled the K-3......For now, I think I'll just use the K-50 until it breaks or dies....
I'll invest in a new lens (Pentax 18-135) until that happens. Not the best but more in keeping with my budget right now....
maybe drag out a few of my M42 lenses to experiment abit too....
Wise advise has been to invest in better glass.
Thanks to all for the replies.
Enjoy the new combination anyway. The 18-135 is a very capable lens and available at very attractive prices. (Another one seduced by this thread? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-...can-do-51.html)

That sweet 16 sensor in the K-50 really is a gem and the camera offers plenty of scope to hone your skills - starting with improving your AF on moving targets, as Norm has pointed out.
03-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Enjoy the new combination anyway. The 18-135 is a very capable lens and available at very attractive prices. (Another one seduced by this thread? DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - Page 51 - PentaxForums.com)

That sweet 16 sensor in the K-50 really is a gem and the camera offers plenty of scope to hone your skills - starting with improving your AF on moving targets, as Norm has pointed out.
Well, I had the 18-135 in mind for a while now. But something told me to go get the camera body I've been wanting for a long time (K-3).
BUT ya, that thread kinda sealed the deal. LOL.
04-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I had the 18-135 in mind for a while now. But something told me to go get the camera body I've been wanting for a long time (K-3).
BUT ya, that thread kinda sealed the deal. LOL.
I learned to put my money into good lenses before anything else.

If given a fixed budget and a good lens versus an expensive body, I will always go for the good lens and make do with a basic body. Good lenses are forever!
04-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keeping the K-50 and upgrading your lens is probably a good option. In my opinion, the K-50 had the best grip of the non-flagship cameras, so I think you would need to move to a k-5 IIs or K-3 to be happy with the feel. As Jeallen01 indicated, the 55-300mm PLM lens may make sense, as it would provide a more responsive lens for capturing the dog and also provide some insurance in case the K-50 develops aperture block issues.
04-27-2021, 03:06 AM   #29

Original Poster
I had a K-5 iis deal in the making, but this virus had closed our borders and the camera owner can't get to town and bring the body with her...
I'll keep looking and wait for the right deal to upgrade my body. I recently bought the 18-135 which is a great lens in my book. So the K-50 will stay in service for now...
Thanks for all the comments.