Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 17
K50 Owner and looking for a backup.

SO, I enjoy my K50 for outdoor shooting. But have been considering having a backup body.
But being on a tight budget as we all are these days, what models would work well for me as a backup?
Any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. Since I HAVE A RATHER ENERGETIC GOLDEN RETRIEVER, I think good burst rate would be prudent. LOL.

12-30-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,587
Any body faster than 6fps,wont be a back up.It will become your main camera.

Another k50 is a cheap option.
12-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 17
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Any body faster than 6fps,wont be a back up.It will become your main camera.

Another k50 is a cheap option.
Ya, I guess so. I have a line on a local K100D thats in great shape, but I don't think that will do.
12-30-2020, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,262
I would suggest a K-3 or in a pinch a K-5 and relegate the K-50 to backup, the K-3 and K-5 can be had at some good prices nowadays. If you're not in a big hurry once the K-3 MkIII makes it to market you should be able to pick up a nice K-3 at a reasonable price.

12-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 17
Original Poster
I have the K3 in my wishlist for sure...the k5 would be no slouch either in my book! thks
12-30-2020, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,238
QuoteOriginally posted by wem59 Quote
P.S. Since I HAVE A RATHER ENERGETIC GOLDEN RETRIEVER, I think good burst rate would be prudent. LOL
Burst rate is all about how you set up the camera. In Pentax land pre-K-3iii burst rate is affected by the number of focus points selected, the level of AF hold, AF.c tracking cuts it in half. But we have lots of great dog images taken with K-5s, my K-3 and some pretty slow AF lenses.




Last edited by normhead; 12-30-2020 at 06:39 PM.
12-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 17
Original Poster
ya, I'm still learning but I did take a few nice shots yesterday....she wasn't moving that fast...LOL.I use single point AF 90% of the time. BTW.
12-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,570
If you like the feel of your K50 the commonsense purchase would be the K-70 IMO. It's not expensive, more reliable than the K50, has the menu structure you're familiar with, but a huge improvement in low-light, resolution, and overall performance. I think it would quickly become your main camera and the K50 would play backup.

Buying used is smart, and watching for deals in our Marketplace is even smarter. That's where I've found the majority of my gear including one K-70 and K1 and far under retail prices.

EDIT: I just looked to verify, and I did buy one K70 new (open-box return) from Amazon with a 55-200 lens AND including a three year extended warranty back in February for just $450 and change. Deals are out there, just watch for them.


Last edited by gatorguy; 12-30-2020 at 04:28 PM.
12-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,064
QuoteOriginally posted by wem59 Quote
SO, I enjoy my K50 for outdoor shooting. But have been considering having a backup body.But being on a tight budget as we all are these days, what models would work well for me as a backup?
The question is, how tight? I'd say buy the latest model you can afford.

Personally I wouldn't go for anything with a lesser sensor than the "sweet 16" in the K-50. K-5 series, K-30, K-50, K-500 and K-01 all used the same sensor. The K-5 series has the extra robustness of a flagship model (and avoids the aperture block problem which appeared in the other models), so that would be the one to aim for out of those. Any of the others carries a risk of aperture block failure. If you are prepared to do the repair yourself if the problem arises, you might be willing to take that risk if you can find a K-30/K-50 etc at a good price, but it will be a lot simpler if you can find a K-5 within budget.
QuoteOriginally posted by wem59 Quote
Since I HAVE A RATHER ENERGETIC GOLDEN RETRIEVER, I think good burst rate would be prudent. LOL.
I would guess it's not the burst rate that's a limitation. 6fps is more than enough. You might want to consider a fast-focusing lens like the DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM. Or just work on your technique.

Last edited by Des; 12-30-2020 at 10:49 PM.
12-30-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,587
[quote=Larrymc;5177821]once the K-3 MkIII makes it to market you should be able to pick up a nice K-3 at a reasonable price.[/quote

There are K-3s about that are quite cheap(mine came with a Sigma 17/70 and cost equivalent of u$d 390 and with a grand total of 700ish accutations).

8fps is the fastest Pentax apart from its younger bro, soon to be surpassed by the unborn!

A Kp is 7fps but handle it before buying(I wish I did),it produces great images, up there with FF cameras.

---------- Post added 12-31-20 at 12:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wem59 Quote
K100D thats in great shape, but I don't think that will do.
...................

Last edited by surfar; 12-30-2020 at 06:51 PM.
12-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 17
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
If you like the feel of your K50 the commonsense purchase would be the K-70 IMO. It's not expensive, more reliable than the K50, has the menu structure you're familiar with, but a huge improvement in low-light, resolution, and overall performance. I think it would quickly become your main camera and the K50 would play backup.

Buying used is smart, and watching for deals in our Marketplace is even smarter. That's where I've found the majority of my gear including one K-70 and K1 and far under retail prices.

EDIT: I just looked to verify, and I did buy one K70 new (open-box return) from Amazon with a 55-200 lens AND including a three year extended warranty back in February for just $450 and change. Deals are out there, just watch for them.
Thanks a lot. yes I also had a K-70 also in my want list.
12-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,338
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The question is, how tight? I'd say buy the latest model you can afford.
That would be my advice also.
12-31-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 17
Original Poster
I'm thinking I should start saving my pennies to purchase a new K-70.....All the benefits of a new body and no heartaches of buying used...although there are some good items out there.
I also have a herd of vintage lenses I could thin out.
12-31-2020, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,442
The most robust:
K5II/s and K3
The K5II was the first using the f2,8 sensors, so superior in low light, but no KAF4 ability. Which might be useful for you because right now one of the fastest lenses for action.
K3 is that bit larger and has KAF4 and F2.8 low-light sensors (K-S2, K70, KP and K1 as well)
The low light ability is wonderful.

The K70 is a great camera but first hold it in your hands before you if you buy it online then it with option for return.

If your budget allows it and you feel it sits well in your hands it is a steal

But what you really want is the DA55-300 PLM

Last edited by photogem; 12-31-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Adding DA55-300PLM
12-31-2020, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #15
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,570
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The most robust:
K5II/s and K3
The K5II was the first using the f2,8 sensors, so superior in low light, but no KAF4 ability. Which might be useful for you because right now one of the fastest lenses for action.
K3 is that bit larger and has KAF4 and F2.8 low-light sensors (K-S2, K70, KP and K1 as well)
The low light ability is wonderful.

The K70 is a great camera but first hold it in your hands before you if you buy it online then it with option for return.

If your budget allows it and you feel it sits well in your hands it is a steal
FWIW I found the K70 in-hand to be really similar to the K-50 but with even better control. The KP was the one that I wished I had held before purchasing it, the only Pentax camera I had that was "not like the others". Between the grip and the gosh-darn confusion between the IMO mispositioned BBF and green button made it and me a divorce waiting to happen. Others obviously have no issue with either one. Had it not been for those two things which were showstoppers for me I'd be carrying two KP's instead as the camera itself is the overall more feature-rich of the two.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
backup, k-3, k-30, k-50, k50, k50 owner, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking at this Dolica tripod as a backup GibbyTheMole Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 18 07-22-2015 07:44 AM
K50 as a backup to K3 Scorpio71GR Pentax K-30 & K-50 8 03-12-2015 03:11 PM
Looking for an easy to use backup/storage solution concealer404 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 16 03-12-2014 05:48 PM
Would you buy k200D or K-x as backup (for k-x owner)? yusuf Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 02-04-2011 08:30 AM
People Being the backup-backup photographer Rory Post Your Photos! 5 10-03-2010 08:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top