Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

How do I keep the Status Screen "active" for longer after I take a picture?

Hello again and Happy New Year,
My camera: K-50

If I can explain this correctly, when I turn the camera on and get all of the info on the Status Screen (page 25 of the owner's manual)the viewfinder stays "on" for about 30 seconds or after I take a picture and when the picture time has lapsed to review the picture, the status screen appears again for a brief time.

How do I get that status screen to appear longer after I take a picture?? The screen goes black after a short few seconds and for me to get it back, I press the shutter release a little or press the menu button a couple of times.

I can't seem to find out how to change the time for that screen to stay "active" longer than, what seems like, 2 seconds.

Being a newbie and looking my settings over on that viewfinder without it going black after that short amount of time would be nice.

I see at the bottom of page 25 of the owner's manual, it states "The status screen will disappear if no operations are made within 30 seconds and will also disappear after 2 seconds immediately after shooting. Press the Info button to display it again". I have the timer to review the image I just took set to 5 seconds so after that time has passed, then I get 2 seconds to look at the viewfinder.

So is there a way to change the 2 seconds to a longer time? Or maybe change the 30 seconds to a longer time?

Thanks again,
Steve in Central Vermont

Last edited by Blackink; 12-31-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: adding text.
12-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the Rec. Mode Menu (the camera icon) there is an item Display Time that can be set to 1 s, 3 s, 5 s or Off. This is discussed on p 214 of the manual. Does that do what you want?

The same options are also available on the K3 and K1 , but with an additional Hold option.
12-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blackink Quote
I see at the bottom of page 25 of the owner's manual, it states "The status screen will disappear if no operations are made within 30 seconds and will also disappear after 2 seconds immediately after shooting. Press the Info button to display it again". I have the timer to review the image I just took set to 5 seconds so after that time has passed, then I get 2 seconds to look at the viewfinder.

So is there a way to change the 2 seconds to a longer time? Or maybe change the 30 seconds to a longer time?

Thanks again,
Steve in Central Vermont
The five seconds you have instant review at is the longest setting. And I do not believe the two seconds nor 30 seconds are negotiable. The reason it is like that is so you won't accidentally leave them on and run the battery down or overheat the camera. Just press that OK button for the status screen or the review button for a longer review. I have my K-50 set to Instant review OFF. As you get more used to the system, you'll probably be glad those are like they are, and not something you have to turn off.
12-31-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The five seconds you have instant review at is the longest setting. And I do not believe the two seconds nor 30 seconds are negotiable. The reason it is like that is so you won't accidentally leave them on and run the battery down or overheat the camera. Just press that OK button for the status screen or the review button for a longer review. I have my K-50 set to Instant review OFF. As you get more used to the system, you'll probably be glad those are like they are, and not something you have to turn off.
You're probably right there but as a newbie at this, I need all the screen time I can get!!!

I'm learning but it's a slow process.

The one thing I can say is I love what these DSLR cameras are capable of!! Amazing!

---------- Post added 12-31-20 at 05:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
In the Rec. Mode Menu (the camera icon) there is an item Display Time that can be set to 1 s, 3 s, 5 s or Off. This is discussed on p 214 of the manual. Does that do what you want?

The same options are also available on the K3 and K1 , but with an additional Hold option.
No, that just keeps the picture I took, on the viewfinder for either 1, 3, or 5 seconds. I have that set to 5 seconds.
I'd take a longer time for that too if I could!!! lolol

Thanks,
Steve