Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #1

Harness for your camera & binoculars

I realize this is a forum for cameras but I wanted to pass along, what I think, is a great harness for carrying your camera or binoculars if you're hiking through the woods or otherwise.
It works for binoculars and that is what got me started with using it for my K-50 camera.

There are many different makers of this style of harness so you can make your own decision as to which one to purchase if you do decide to try them.
I purchased this harness for my binoculars: amazon.com : Vortex Optics Binocular Harness Strap : Binocular Harness : Sports & Outdoors?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I scrolled down on that page and saw the OP/TECH Loop Connector and started doing more research. What I found and ended up buying were these OP/TECH Mini QD Loops: amazon.com : OP/TECH USA 1301082 Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm - System Connectors : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
These are the 1.5mm loops.

I have one end of the mini loops connected to the harness strap by way of a ring that was supplied with the harness. The ring was suppose to connect a small strap to the camera strap slots but I used the mini loops for that. The other end of the mini loops are connected to the camera. I have a mini loop connected to both sides of the camera. See pics below.

Here's a YouTube video that shows examples of attaching these Mini Loops to either a camera or binoculars and how strong they actually are:

I had my 50-200mm kit lens attached to the camera and took a hike through the woods behind my house using the Vortex harness with the camera attached via the OP/TECH 1.5mm Mini Loops. I can tell you that the harness kept the camera against my body the whole time I walked, or when I bent down to maneuver under trees and limbs/branches, etc. This harness worked like a champ!
And when it came time to take pictures, lifting the camera up to my eye/face was real easy, no resistance at all and I could lower the camera back down to my waist/belly/chest with ease. The camera set mostly against my lower chest but right above my stomach.

Feel free to make suggestions or recommendations to this posting. Remember.....I'm a newbie with this DSLR camera so there are probably better straps/harnesses/connectors being used by the pros and/or others but for me, this set-up works great.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
Moto g(6) (XT1925DL)  Photo 
01-11-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The harness looks okay, though I'm not a fan of plastic carabinier hooks.

Would definitely not trust those little loops though, their recommended load capacity is way too low for a camera in my opinion. I think your setup is close to the limit already.
01-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackink Quote
I realize this is a forum for cameras but I wanted to pass along, what I think, is a great harness for carrying your camera or binoculars if you're hiking through the woods or otherwise.
It works for binoculars and that is what got me started with using it for my K-50 camera.

There are many different makers of this style of harness so you can make your own decision as to which one to purchase if you do decide to try them.
I purchased this harness for my binoculars: amazon.com : Vortex Optics Binocular Harness Strap : Binocular Harness : Sports & Outdoors?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I scrolled down on that page and saw the OP/TECH Loop Connector and started doing more research. What I found and ended up buying were these OP/TECH Mini QD Loops: amazon.com : OP/TECH USA 1301082 Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm - System Connectors : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
These are the 1.5mm loops.

I have one end of the mini loops connected to the harness strap by way of a ring that was supplied with the harness. The ring was suppose to connect a small strap to the camera strap slots but I used the mini loops for that. The other end of the mini loops are connected to the camera. I have a mini loop connected to both sides of the camera. See pics below.

Here's a YouTube video that shows examples of attaching these Mini Loops to either a camera or binoculars and how strong they actually are: Mini QD Loops - System Connectors - OP/TECH USA - YouTube

I had my 50-200mm kit lens attached to the camera and took a hike through the woods behind my house using the Vortex harness with the camera attached via the OP/TECH 1.5mm Mini Loops. I can tell you that the harness kept the camera against my body the whole time I walked, or when I bent down to maneuver under trees and limbs/branches, etc. This harness worked like a champ!
And when it came time to take pictures, lifting the camera up to my eye/face was real easy, no resistance at all and I could lower the camera back down to my waist/belly/chest with ease. The camera set mostly against my lower chest but right above my stomach.

Feel free to make suggestions or recommendations to this posting. Remember.....I'm a newbie with this DSLR camera so there are probably better straps/harnesses/connectors being used by the pros and/or others but for me, this set-up works great.
A couple of years ago I started using the Peak Design Anchor Links Anchor Links Strap Connectors | Peak Design Official Site after several members recommended them. I use them on a Bosstrap Gen 3 sling strap and have had no problems with the Peak Design Anchor Links at all. But, the Peak Design Anchor Links are designed differently than the Op tech Link and are quite a bit stronger and less likely for the clip to come loose. Bottom line is I would not trust the Op Tech Anchors nor the plastic strap clip. Here is how mine is set up.
My Sling strap solution - PentaxForums.com
01-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forgot to mention them.
I too use the PeakDesign anchor links, the nice thing is that you can buy them separate too and use them on home made straps. Couldn't be happier with them.

01-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
I too was worried about the strength of those mini loops but once I put them on the camera where the strap would go through, I tugged as hard as I dared to before I was concerned the metal pin (?), where a strap would slide through, would break before the cable holding the connector would!
The only thing I didn't like was they seemed a bit small for my fingers and I had a hard time disconnecting them.

I have a couple of bigger clips coming that I feel comfortable with attaching them the same way.

I like the Anchor Link connector straps though. I hadn't come across them before I purchased these OP/TECH Mini Loops.
I might just order a set to see just how "good" they are.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont
01-11-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackink Quote
I too was worried about the strength of those mini loops but once I put them on the camera where the strap would go through, I tugged as hard as I dared to before I was concerned the metal pin (?), where a strap would slide through, would break before the cable holding the connector would!
The only thing I didn't like was they seemed a bit small for my fingers and I had a hard time disconnecting them.

I have a couple of bigger clips coming that I feel comfortable with attaching them the same way.

I like the Anchor Link connector straps though. I hadn't come across them before I purchased these OP/TECH Mini Loops.
I might just order a set to see just how "good" they are.

Thanks,
Steve in Central Vermont
They are very good and cleverly designed. What I like about the is that the possibility of them becoming disconnected is virtually impossible. To disconnect them you have to manually push the center "button" down then push the "button" back out of the connection slot where as the OP Tech only needs one side of the split lock to be dislodged and everything comes apart. I carry my K-3 and a rather heavy HD DA*11-18 around on my Bosstrap all the time and feel perfectly confident doing it.