Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Percentage wise it hits 20-30% of k30s, allegedly, so that means 70-80% are fine. If it goes a repair will cost you £125. I paid to have mine fixed because its an excellent camera. Don't worry, you did a good thing
Thank you, I'm super excited :3

02-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I would be happy to fix it for you if you're not up to a bit of diy should it become necessary, I've done a couple now and am happy with the procedure, it's not difficult. No need to pay £125 (and the UK pentax repairer would only replace with a new green solenoid, not the original japanese white one).
See photogem 's threads for the full beta.
I've read about replacing it with a white one, does that make a massive difference to the issue then? Also, thank you very much for the offer, that is very kind
02-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
My ks-2 failed over a month ago. I still haven't fixed it because it hasn't bothered me. I have lenses that let me set aperture with the aperture ring. If you are planning on buying lenses get some of the great older ones. They can be found quite cheap.
So lenses with an aperture ring actually help then? That's good news! Could you perhaps recommend me some? I'm new to all this
02-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I donít have that impression for two reasons. 1) mine was used daily and died in the middle of a vacation where I was shooting a lot every day. 2) I recall reading at the time of others failures and they seemed to be quite variable in their use.

Honestly without randomly sampled data outside of this forum Iíd say we are all guessing.
Well that's why I started the comment with "They all can fail".

But my experience (and that of others here) suggests that it's more common to fail when you don't use it that often.

But they can all still fail. The only camera I'd take without a backup body is the K-3 (and mine still "failed" while in Brazil - I thought it bricked, but some successive system resets brought it back to life - so now even the K-3 makes me carry a backup... hence why I'm fixing the K-S1 instead of just using it as a fun manual-aperture only camera).

02-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by senpyi Quote
So lenses with an aperture ring actually help then? That's good news! Could you perhaps recommend me some? I'm new to all this
You can use lenses with aperture rings after the aperture block fails (the aperture ring uses a different, manual mechanism). As long as you don't use them in the A position (that would use the Automated aperture block, the one that failed).

You need:
1. A lens where you can select the aperture in its ring
2. Set your camera with the "Enable Aperture Ring" parameter to Yes.
3. Assign your Green Button in Manual Mode to Tv Shift.

After that, to use it:
1. Put your lens on the camera. It will ask you for the focal length and you will enter that.
2. Set the desired aperture with your lens ring.
3. Press the Green Button. It will read an exposure for the desired aperture - closing it down if you didn't set it to wide open.
4. Take pictures! Verify the histogram in the back screen of your pictures, and keep adjusting if necessary, or if the light changes.

It's actually a very rewarding style of photography when you can "guess" the light changes and it works out well. Also, those lenses are usually manual focus, so that's very rewarding to use as well.

As for recommending some, what's your budget? A great way to start on a budget is getting a manual 28mm and 50mm pair of lenses like the SMC-M 28mm f/3.5 and SMC-M 50mm f/1.7. There's plenty of manual lenses to choose from!
02-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well that's why I started the comment with "They all can fail".

But my experience (and that of others here) suggests that it's more common to fail when you don't use it that often.

But they can all still fail. The only camera I'd take without a backup body is the K-3 (and mine still "failed" while in Brazil - I thought it bricked, but some successive system resets brought it back to life - so now even the K-3 makes me carry a backup... hence why I'm fixing the K-S1 instead of just using it as a fun manual-aperture only camera).
I know this seems like Iím being a pain, but your statement is the very first time Iíve seen that said. Iíd like numbers not just impressions. Do we have surveys or post counts to back it up? Even though that data isnít fully random itís better than nothing.
02-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You can use lenses with aperture rings after the aperture block fails (the aperture ring uses a different, manual mechanism). As long as you don't use them in the A position (that would use the Automated aperture block, the one that failed).

You need:
1. A lens where you can select the aperture in its ring
2. Set your camera with the "Enable Aperture Ring" parameter to Yes.
3. Assign your Green Button in Manual Mode to Tv Shift.

After that, to use it:
1. Put your lens on the camera. It will ask you for the focal length and you will enter that.
2. Set the desired aperture with your lens ring.
3. Press the Green Button. It will read an exposure for the desired aperture - closing it down if you didn't set it to wide open.
4. Take pictures! Verify the histogram in the back screen of your pictures, and keep adjusting if necessary, or if the light changes.

It's actually a very rewarding style of photography when you can "guess" the light changes and it works out well. Also, those lenses are usually manual focus, so that's very rewarding to use as well.

As for recommending some, what's your budget? A great way to start on a budget is getting a manual 28mm and 50mm pair of lenses like the SMC-M 28mm f/3.5 and SMC-M 50mm f/1.7. There's plenty of manual lenses to choose from!
Okay, the instructions on how to set up sound easy enough. Thank you again for this and as for budget, I don't really know. I'd probably say nothing too expensive as I am just starting out kind of thing
02-25-2021, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

No sense worrying, it is what it is.

02-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know this seems like Iím being a pain, but your statement is the very first time Iíve seen that said. Iíd like numbers not just impressions. Do we have surveys or post counts to back it up? Even though that data isnít fully random itís better than nothing.
Ah I don't know what to say to this.... other than I've been paying attention to the dozens of threads that have been opened about this issue, and it's been brought up many, many times... I've always read them because I have a K-50 and a K-S1 and briefly had a K-S2 that I attempted to fix....

I'll just leave you with one post from photogem, who I think is the "greatest authority" on this issue, here in the forums, having had many cameras repaired and having done the step-by-step instructions that many people (including me) have followed, to work on their own cameras: K70 aperture block? - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
02-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi, I'm what you might call an amateur photographer. I have a Q10 and recently decided to also get a K30 with a tripod, lens filters and other fancy stuff off of ebay in a bundle for what I thought was a good price but then I saw that Aperture failure is common in K30's and now I'm really worried and I just wanted to ask some first hand owners, how worried should I really be?
Personally, I would go with a secondhand K-3 of some kind, Senpyi. You will be the beneficiary of the extra money that went into its robustness and quality components back in its day.

Or even a K-5, if your financial situation is not great.

They do not use a solenoid aperture. And the shutter is quality, probably double the lifetime of a beginner's K-30.
02-25-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Personally, I would go with a secondhand K-3 of some kind, Senpyi. You will be the beneficiary of the extra money that went into its robustness and quality components back in its day.

Or even a K-5, if your financial situation is not great.

They do not use a solenoid aperture. And the shutter is quality, probably double the lifetime of a beginner's K-30.
Hi, thank you for the response, however I had already purchased it by the time I had posted this...but thank you regardless. Hopefully, mine is okay in the end!
02-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi, thank you for the response, however I had already purchased it by the time I had posted this...but thank you regardless. Hopefully, mine is okay in the end!
Sure, fingers crossed.

BTW, I've had one since 2013 myself, never a problem, a friend I've introduced to photography is using it these days.
02-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you ever want to use a kaf4 lens to work on the k30 there is a firmware hack to apply the k50 firmware that supports those lenses.
02-25-2021, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't concern yourself too much. But everyone tends to have a vintage 50, and 28 with the aperture ring, it is a great start. There are 100's. So look beyond here with curiosity but without concern.
I would start with the pentax m's.
Pentax M Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Then the pentax a's even though the a for auto can't be used.
Pentax A Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The pentax k's and many of the older 3rd party lenses also work, and I left out the zooms.
Pentax K Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
There are many here on the marketplace as well as ebay. Search for pentax film camera and many have a 50mm with them and can be had for very little.
02-26-2021, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@senpyi:

My advice:

Stop worrying but make the most of your purchase!

To paint the devil on the wall is just bad for you stomach and sleep.
If the problem arises, you know that you can get help here or even "help yourself" via DIY.

It does not make sense at all now to buy lenses with an A-ring just to be prepared for the worst case.

Buy lenses which you need in sense of taking photos you want to take.
If the happen to have an A-ring, fine and there are great ones, no daubt!

Nobody knows really how many Pentax K30's were hit.

Even regular polls like one I recently mentioned in a German forum won't be able to tell us how many it really were.

Even if it would be 30%, the last K30's were manufactured in 2012, now we have 2021... thats 9 years.
Yes, certain cars show real problems when aging, Fiat from Italy has a history of rust,

But the K30 is a very capable camera and the solenoid is repaired pretty easy and then the K30 will run again for years to go.

By the way: What some claim about shuttercount is pretty wrong.

Most K30's and other Pentax were hit when long time not used.

High shuttercount usually avoids the problem.
Nevertheless it does happen then as well.

Last edited by photogem; 02-26-2021 at 11:27 AM.