Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #31
Forum Member

senpyi

On a positive note, the thing to remember is that people who are happy with the camera do not tend to post onto forums, they are all out there taking pictures. Any forum (be it cameras, cars, phones etc.) attracts people who are having issues because they have googled the issue and been attracted to the forum. Therefore any forum can tend towards negativity.

I am here because I have just bought a K-50 as a second camera and am happy to take the risk that it will be ok, this is despite the fact that the reason I need a second camera is because my main camera (a K-70) is away having the aperture solenoid repaired (a fairly low shutter count but reasonably well used K-70 that was only just out of warranty). I am happy to take the risk on the K-50 on the basis that there are lots of happy users of K-30, K-50 and K-70 who are not on forums with issues.

Martin

04-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by senpyi Quote
Hi, thank you for the response, however I had already purchased it by the time I had posted this...but thank you regardless. Hopefully, mine is okay in the end!
Well, since someone else decided to resurrect your thread today, I had to drop by and point out that it's about time you shared some photos taken with that new camera of yours!

In all seriousness though, should you have the failed solenoid in your K30, it should be a *very* easy repair. I would suggest it is always a good idea to have an electronics hobbyist within your circle of friends. I have benefited from just that! I have just purchased a K-70 and was warned that the solenoid may also fail in this model. There are great tutorials in these forums for replacing the solenoid be user @photogem

Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com

The repair requires a replacement solenoid taken from an older model Pentax DSLR. The repair only requires keeping a bunch of small screws properly organized and desoldering two wires, then soldering in the replacement solenoid. It should be an extremely simple task for anyone with experience in this area (people that are into ham radio, DIY drone building, model trains, etc. will often have the needed skills and tools).

Now, let's see some K30 photos!

~ Jon
04-10-2021, 03:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know this seems like I’m being a pain, but your statement is the very first time I’ve seen that said. I’d like numbers not just impressions. Do we have surveys or post counts to back it up? Even though that data isn’t fully random it’s better than nothing.
I thought it was common knowledge! Certainly it's true of my K-50 (a few hundred shots then several months inactivity). Same thing in the case of my brother's K-500.

I've even heard of a possible causing mechanism: initial operations remove a protecting layer from the solenoid's plunger, which then suffers corrosion when left inactive for long periods (constant operation tends to remove the corrosion layer).

For the OP:

Never mind, there are plenty of decent Pentax-K (and M42 screwmount, which can be adapted using the proper Pentax adaptor) lenses, both manual and auto focus.

If you do eventually need to go this route, follow the aforementioned instructions regarding the green button etc. Or, you can use the following procedure: use Av mode, set the lens aperture (using its ring) and use Exposure Compensation to correct exposure, as follows: for each aperture stop closed down from wide-open, add +1EV. For example, for an f2 lens set to f4, that's 2 stops, so set +2EV. There's now no need to use the green button for the correct exposure - just shoot away.

Before anyone protests, this procedure seems to work only for cameras which are afflicted with the aperture problem. Don't know why.

Just to complete the tutorial (!), if you want to use a vintage manual-focus zoom lens, you may wonder what focal length to tell the camera when it asks the question. This is all about the shake reduction system. If you don't want to keep changing the value to match how you've set the lens, use this formula: 2*max*min)/(max+min).

For lenses with small zoom ratios (e.g. a 75-150mm), a slightly superior method is to use the average, i.e. (max+min)/2. However, this is unsafe for ratios larger than 3:1, as you get more blur than you would otherwise induce by camera shake with SR turned off.
04-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I thought it was common knowledge! Certainly it's true of my K-50 (a few hundred shots then several months inactivity). Same thing in the case of my brother's K-500.

I've even heard of a possible causing mechanism: initial operations remove a protecting layer from the solenoid's plunger, which then suffers corrosion when left inactive for long periods (constant operation tends to remove the corrosion layer).
My k-50 experienced aperture failure despite regular use. It was working in the morning and failed mid day without warning. I think cameras commonly sit around a lot and it is easy to attribute failure to the period of inactivity but hard to show proof that this was the cause. We have very little hard data and we try to make sense out of what we see as a trend. Maybe it’s accurate, I don’t know.

04-10-2021, 06:32 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My k-50 experienced aperture failure despite regular use. It was working in the morning and failed mid day without warning. I think cameras commonly sit around a lot and it is easy to attribute failure to the period of inactivity but hard to show proof that this was the cause. We have very little hard data and we try to make sense out of what we see as a trend. Maybe it’s accurate, I don’t know.
Maybe, but in the case of our 2 cameras, each was used enthusiastically for a few hundred shots, from new, then each was left for several months, and each failed to work at the end of that period.
04-10-2021, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It actually is now common knowledge as Christian Rock and m42man state:
Low shuttercount and long no use enhanced the risk greatly.
I had a K-S1 for repair with a shuttercount of 6:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/524193d...pics-ks1-2.jpg
K-S1 with 396:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/524192d...pics-ks1-1.jpg
K-S1 with 380:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/524194d...pics-ks1-3.jpg
Once I purchased a K50 from UK with a stuck solenoid from London, it was about 96 actuations.
another K50:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/524190d...pics-k50-1.jpg

The "magnetizing of the alloy-mix" together with the to strong holding-force of the permanent magnet is the main reason, PET the other.
I remember once some "I know better" claiming that there is no magnetism but the tip of my screwdriver needs demagnetizing.
Which of course was infantile at the best:
The plunger sits 99,999% of its life close to the permanent magnet and thus magnetizes.
Only when actuating the aperture, it "distances itself" from the main body with the permanent magnet for the fraction of a second.

Constant use is better but no guarantee, as those know who did use their Pentax regularely and experienced ABF.

But low to no use is for sure worse.

I repaired a few Pentax bodies which have been sold from a main dealer as "ex-dem" etc.

They had filed plungers but failed again.
04-10-2021, 11:48 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am with @uncleVanya my K30 getting plenty of use, still failed. I think attempting to attribute the failure to a particular behaviour is counter productive, like some sort of blame game. It fails, sometimes. If you are able to do it the part is $40, if not, getting it fixed costs $120. This is still waaaaay cheaper and better than buying a new camera. At least its not the Sony shutter issue! I had mine fixed. It was worth it.

04-11-2021, 01:18 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am with @uncleVanya my K30 getting plenty of use, still failed.
No it didn't:
My K30 failed after 1500 shots
1500 shots are not plenty of use!

But then you had it repaired offically:

That means the same frustration reprogrammed, plus possibly some filing/sanding, because some of the "officials" to that.

You then got the K3 and used your K30 only for manual lenses:

K-50 under exposing. - PentaxForums.com

Meaning the solenoid wasn't used at all anymore.

Afterwards you sold your K30.

What one needs is something that is more of a statistical value as well as research and logical thinking.

I think attempting to attribute the failure to a particular behaviour is counter productive
The opposite has been proven, but this means to study in detail all the threads.

...like some sort of blame game.
You mean like the Pentax Gnome Game?

It fails, sometimes.
Wrong: It fails often.
And just a few days ago you wrote:
Percentage wise it hits 20-30% of k30s
I don't know if it happens that often, but could well be.

Mainly because all K30's and all K500's and most K50's were manufactured before Dec.2015 (which was the time when Ricoh used a modified solenoid and things became much better)

And the second reason, which I researched:

Because many users do not use their Pentax often but only for holidays, then it is stored away and then the owner uses it again and is surprised by sudden black pictures.

Last edited by photogem; 04-11-2021 at 01:39 AM.
04-11-2021, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
No it didn't:

1500 shots are not plenty of use!

But then you had it repaired offically:

That means the same frustration reprogrammed, plus possibly some filing/sanding, because some of the "officials" to that.

You then got the K3 and used your K30 only for manual lenses:

K-50 under exposing. - PentaxForums.com

Meaning the solenoid wasn't used at all anymore.

Afterwards you sold your K30.

What one needs is something that is more of a statistical value as well as research and logical thinking.

The opposite has been proven, but this means to study in detail all the threads.

You mean like the Pentax Gnome Game?

Wrong: It fails often.
And just a few days ago you wrote:

I don't know if it happens that often, but could well be.

Mainly because all K30's and all K500's and most K50's were manufactured before Dec.2015 (which was the time when Ricoh used a modified solenoid and things became much better)

And the second reason, which I researched:

Because many users do not use their Pentax often but only for holidays, then it is stored away and then the owner uses it again and is surprised by sudden black pictures.
Thanks for my life history! Re my K30, 1500 was a typo, it actually failed after 15000.

When I got my K3 I used the K30 less, and yet the solenoid didn't fail again.

I put a further 3000 clicks on the K30, a significant proportion of which were with AF lenses,

I only sold it to fund a KP,

I can't believe you pulled me up on sometimes vs often! To my mind, often implies a majority, and last time I checked, 30% is less than half. But if you don't believe me, maybe this will help. It describes often as more than 50% and sometimes as less than 50%
Frequency | English grammar with Reverso

And what the blazes does the Pentax gnome game have to do with blame?

Honestly, I agreed with Vanya and next thing your selectively quoting my threads! I DON'T CARE! IT FAILS OFTEN! Happy now? I have never at any point claimed to be an expert. Nor, unlike you, have I felt the need to research this. All I know is my K30 failed after 15000+ actuation and during constant use. I had it fixed and while it wasn't used as much, it was still used because I liked it. The K30 was still working when I reluctantly sold it.

I am no expert, I merely voice what I believe to be true in order to participate. I am extremely open to being corrected, as many strangely absent quotes would demonstrate. I know the above looks like I am adding fuel to the fire, I'm not, I just don't like being dissected and feel a rebuttal was justified. If you want to take offence, fine! I really don't care
04-11-2021, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

This was interesting - and illuminating:

Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
04-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I agree. And while “low shutter count” was found in some cameras the age of those was young. Frequency of use doesn’t appear to be in the survey but who knows. My own aperture failure was odd in that some of shots were OVEREXPOSED not underexposed. It was really strange... but in the end mine was repaired under warranty.
04-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I agree. And while “low shutter count” was found in some cameras the age of those was young. Frequency of use doesn’t appear to be in the survey but who knows. My own aperture failure was odd in that some of shots were OVEREXPOSED not underexposed. It was really strange... but in the end mine was repaired under warranty.
Nevertheless, if I possessed a fully-functional K-50, I'd make darn sure I used it most days - if only to keep it healthy. (Contemplating the "corrosion model", whether it's accurate or not.)
04-11-2021, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What one needs is something that is more of a statistical value
I realize Cerebrum has corrected his statement to 15,000 but, out of curiosity, what is the "statistical value" of your declaration of "1500 shots are not plenty of use!"? Do you happen to have a link to a resource that quantifies "plenty"?
Because many users do not use their Pentax often but only for holidays,
What are the statistics on that?
04-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I realize Cerebrum has corrected his statement to 15,000 but, out of curiosity, what is the "statistical value" of your declaration of "1500 shots are not plenty of use!"? Do you happen to have a link to a resource that quantifies "plenty"?
What are the statistics on that?
Lols
Statisticians are divided but the consensus is that "plenty" falls equidistant (+/-5%) between some and lots.

Regarding my comment on "blame game" there appears to be some level of misunderstanding. It is not, as intimated, a reference to the fine art of gnome photography, instead I was referring to attributing a fault to a single cause, "you didn't use your camera enough, it is your fault it died! Bad Pentaxian!"
04-11-2021, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Statisticians are divided but the consensus is that "plenty" falls equidistant (+/-5%) between some and lots.
As Mark Twain once said "There are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies, and statistics".