Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K50 Problem

I have a K50 that now will not put enough light on the image to make it clearly visible. Even over exposing mostly leaves a real dark image with just the very light portions showing. Is it worth trying to get repaired?

03-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the images are coming out black? Or very dark? That sounds like an aperture block issue.

Read here:
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 03-04-21 at 08:36 AM ----------

I did the manual repair on a K-50 a year ago and it is still working just fine. Parts cost $30 but I did have all of the tools needed. The project took about a hour and I do not consider myself all that capable in this area. It was the first time I ever took apart a camera. The instructions in the link are very well done.
03-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So the images are coming out black? Or very dark? That sounds like an aperture block issue.

Read here:
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 03-04-21 at 08:36 AM ----------

I did the manual repair on a K-50 a year ago and it is still working just fine. Parts cost $30 but I did have all of the tools needed. The project took about a hour and I do not consider myself all that capable in this area. It was the first time I ever took apart a camera. The instructions in the link are very well done.
Thank you. I will look at the links.
03-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Did mine too, and it's still working great after the operation. Good luck.

03-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoomlens Quote
I have a K50 that now will not put enough light on the image to make it clearly visible. Even over exposing mostly leaves a real dark image with just the very light portions showing. Is it worth trying to get repaired?
That's an interesting description of the problem...
and with 99,9% certainty it is the solenoid which is stuck.

It is easy to repair, you already got the instructions.

Just make sure you find the Japan-Solenoid, everthing about the solenoid is described here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
Just a few days I added supplementary information.
03-05-2021, 12:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just an added voice to the others who have self-repaired an affected camera. I harvested a couple of solenoids from an old non-working camera I bought on Ebay for about £20, have repaired the K50, and have a spare to repair my K30 if it needs it. The repair instructions are very clear and, if stripping an old camera as I did, you get an idea of what is required from that strip down. I bought a set of JIS screwdrivers, but had soldering gear already. It is a straight forward process requiring some preparation and care, but it's perfectly doable.

Last edited by nicolpa47; 03-05-2021 at 07:46 AM.
03-05-2021, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Within all those bodies:
*ist-D/DS/DS2/DL/DL2 (and Samsungs)
as well as
K100/110/200D and often Km/Kx/Kr one finds usually 2 solenoids.

If one buys a functioning body for a higher price, takes out the white Japan-Solenoid in the flashcircuit and installs there the green solenoid, this is fine because those bodies work perfectly fine with the green solenoid in the flash-compartment, it was tried and successfully tested by Ricoh in Europe for few years before they used that
China made solenoid in the K30 and later which often led to ABF.

But of course not with the aperture solenoid!

NOW: Imagine if you buy lets say a K100D for that reason and you find out the solenoid has already been exchanged!

You'd feel cheated, won't you?

So not a good idea to do to others what you don't want to be done to you yourself, isn't it?

So if you later sell this body, mention it such as "solenoid in flash-circuit has been changed against the most latest version and works perfect, the flash pops open as it should"
Then you are on the save side but potential buyers such as you were will not feel pulled over the barrel.

And you yourself ... maybe with a bit less money made... can sleep well

03-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the feedback. It will be a few weeks before I am able to take the time to try, but now I know.