Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2021, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #1

What to do with a redundant K50

Greetings from Scotland.

My daughter and I opted to shoot Pentax for a number of reasons, not least having inherited some years ago a small store of lenses going back to M42s.

She has decided to upgrade her K50 to (probably) either a KP or K70 and we were discussing what to do with the still well-functioning K50 in a market that seems very limited.

Noting there is discussion on the issues surrounding inserting and removing adapters, what’s the feeling about repurposing the K50 as a more or less permanent carrier / test-bed for M42 lenses.

Your thoughts welcome and appreciated.
Thanks

03-07-2021, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying the original Pentax M42 to K adapter and leaving it on the camera sounds like a good idea to me.
03-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The KP has just been discontinued. If she's going to buy one, get in quick because there's little stock left. Personally, I would certainly go for the KP over the K70.

You could try selling the K50 on Pentax Forums Marketplace.
03-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scotianphotos Quote
Noting there is discussion on the issues surrounding inserting and removing adapters, what’s the feeling about repurposing the K50 as a more or less permanent carrier / test-bed for M42 lenses.

Your thoughts welcome and appreciated.
Thanks

I keep one or other of my *istD bodies more or less permanently fitted with a Pentax-original M42-PK adaptor, (available new from Bristol Cameras), as, like yourselves, I have a legacy of screw-mount lenses which still perform as well as they ever did and I can't justify replacing. As you have the body to hand, take advantage

03-07-2021, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Given the decline in value of cameras over time I never sold any. I now have 3 Pentax film cameras, 5Dslrs from *istD through K1 MKII and about 60 lenses and 3 flashes.

It all has a use, and it is fun sometimes to go out and shoot with the old gear
03-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

A secondary camera body can come very handy. It may be used to prevent to swap of lenses in harsh environment. It could also be used as a backup in a tricky situation (Murphy's law).

I continue to use my K-7 as a secondary body. When I go the beach or in a storm, I mount one lens on my K-3 and one on my K7. If I want to swap, I swap the camera system (body + lens). It is less risky and faster.

And if anyone has any harsh words for the K-7 sensor: the K-7 is a great camera at low ISO and it continue to deliver great shots with a fast prime ....

Hope that the comment may help.
03-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my K-5 II to pair with my K-5, I converted my K-7 to infrared. The preceding suggestions are good, but infrared conversion is another option. As an aside, in regards to hcc's comments about low iso on a K-7, most infrared is taken outdoors at low iso.
03-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
A secondary camera body can come very handy. It may be used to prevent to swap of lenses in harsh environment. It could also be used as a backup in a tricky situation (Murphy's law).

I continue to use my K-7 as a secondary body. When I go the beach or in a storm, I mount one lens on my K-3 and one on my K7. If I want to swap, I swap the camera system (body + lens). It is less risky and faster.

And if anyone has any harsh words for the K-7 sensor: the K-7 is a great camera at low ISO and it continue to deliver great shots with a fast prime ....

Hope that the comment may help.
The K-7 is indeed a great camera with a very good sensor by the way. The last product on which Hoya/Pentax and Samsung worked together and it is the same sensor as in the Samsung NX10, NX100 and the NX11 which delivers very beautiful pictures with lovely colours.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 03-11-2021 at 01:35 AM. Reason: adding missing Samsung in the text
03-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K50 is still worth about £150-200 on ebay. In fact most BIN prices are higher than that. And I can suggest that pentax s/h prices tend to be firmer than for equivalent canon/nikon.

My habit with M42 lenses is to use the flush original japanese made adapters (mostly pentax original) without the locking spring on the lens so it mounts/unmounts like a K mount lens.The only situation where I worry about the lens not being locked on is with larger telephotos, because then I am more worried abut the camera falling while holding the lens, but that's only very occasional, I have PK mounts for both t-mount and T4/TX, so that only leaves the odd fixed mount lens. But certainly if the camera is going to be used in the manner you suggest, then just leaving the adapter in place and screwing the lenses in and out will work in a very ideal manner.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-07-2021 at 04:35 PM.
03-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would sell it on this forum and put it towards some glass or accessories.
03-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about an infra red conversion if possible?
03-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a local group/school/school club that could use a basic DSLR? Tossing in a kit lens is easy. Or was for me when I gave m K-50 + kit lens to a friend, anyway. (He subsequently bought a K-1ii.)
03-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
The K-7 is indeed a great camera with a very good sensor by the way. The last product on which Hoya/Pentax worked together and it is the same sensor as in the Samsung NX10, NX100 and the NX11 which delivers very beautiful pictures with lovely colours.

I meant to say "The last product on which Hoya/Pentax worked together with Samsung and it is the same sensor as in the Samsung NX10, NX100 and the NX11 which delivers very beautiful pictures with lovely colours."
Well, those mirrorless Samsungs suffered more or less exactly the same problems the K20D and K7 suffered.
The NX11 was not really that much better than the NX10.

Coloration one could name it, colour-noice. Loved red-tones and manipulated blue-tones towards magenta, with RAW possibilities to correct but not fully, with JPEG almost disaster.

But some loved it and that's o.k., taste is subjective and fine.

But I don't want to start any discussion now about those Samsung CMOS sensors.

Difficult marriage and divorced very quickly!

Also all this rubbish with the misuse of the name of Schneider Kreuznach and Xenon.
What a disaster!

Well, Rollei was worse!
03-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are anything like me you just get things and run more gear. Like last year I bought a broken K-500 (aperture block failure and no AF) but I bought it as an astro camera where those features don't matter. So now when I go out astro shooting I run 3 cameras because I can. I could probably run a couple more as I have 2 tripods I don't use for astro currently. Because nothing says crazy astro guy then babysitting many thousands of dollars for camera equipment (current used prices) in the middle of the night. So if you take up astrophotography view it as another body to shoot more things.
03-09-2021, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
When I got my K-5 II to pair with my K-5, I converted my K-7 to infrared.....infrared conversion is another option.
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
How about an infra red conversion if possible?
My old K-r was converted to infrared for something quite different, e.g. this reservoir photo.

Philip
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo