Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2021, 01:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-50 Demise..sort of Selling of Kit Lens/Lenses/Flash Unit

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well my K-50 is now a zombie, was worked on like 2 years back, scumbag camera repairer might just have shaved off some mm's of the solenoid and claimed to have it replaced - he cant prove it and my gullible self paid like $110 bucks.
My very first DSLR still does work and it takes like 20-50 captures before the aperture works normal, I am thinking of having this repaired due to it's sentimental value I guess.

So I am looking to sell the kit lenses and a flash unit that I bundled with the K-50, what you guys reckon (the price as bundled) will it go on the used market or on this forum?;

Pentax AF-200FG flash
Pentax 18-55mm
Pentax 50-200mm

Thanks!

03-18-2021, 03:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
Well my K-50 is now a zombie, was worked on like 2 years back, scumbag camera repairer might just have shaved off some mm's of the solenoid and claimed to have it replaced - he can't prove it and my gullible self paid like $110 bucks.
My very first DSLR still does work and it takes like 20-50 captures before the aperture works normal, I am thinking of having this repaired due to it's sentimental value I guess.
I would say depends on a few factors it it is worth to be repaired but I would do it, just to make sure you get the Japan DSLR Solenoid!

You will also find out what really is inside.

Repairer: If he did replace it with the orig. green China-Solenoid, then the costs of $ 100 (as you previously stated) are quite alright.
Even if sanded.

So find out and let us know and only then call him scumbag repairer!

Because if he did exchange the green solenoid against the same one, then it's not his fault!
03-18-2021, 04:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I doubt there is much market for those lenses, even less if they are not WR versions. No idea on the flash, that’s a nice little compact unit. Do your research on sold items in the Marketplace and on Ebay. Don’t look at current listings because people list things all the time at prices that are outrageous.
03-18-2021, 04:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I doubt there is much market for those lenses, even less if they are not WR versions. No idea on the flash, that’s a nice little compact unit. Do your research on sold items in the Marketplace and on Ebay. Don’t look at current listings because people list things all the time at prices that are outrageous.
Thanks for your great input, noted!

---------- Post added 03-18-21 at 03:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I would say depends on a few factors it it is worth to be repaired but I would do it, just to make sure you get the Japan DSLR Solenoid!

You will also find out what really is inside.

Repairer: If he did replace it with the orig. green China-Solenoid, then the costs of $ 100 (as you previously stated) are quite alright.
Even if sanded.

So find out and let us know and only then call him scumbag repairer!

Because if he did exchange the green solenoid against the same one, then it's not his fault!

Yeah I guess I might have been very judgmental but the guy isn't very cooperative when being asked for pictures for evidence at that time but... let bygones be bygones I guess.

Which camera body from the single digit line up do you recommend (K3 or K5 which generation?) the old but good kind not affected by the solenoid issue?

I am not a pro, I am just a beginner for all these years and I am on a budget

basically my dilemma is

1. have the K-50 repaired for sentimental value purposes.
2. Sell the body for parts and lenses and upgrade to a better Pentax body.
3. Sell all and move on to Canon.

Thanks for your input mate!

Last edited by jcagara08; 03-18-2021 at 04:17 AM.
03-18-2021, 05:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not a pro, I am just a beginner for all these years and I am on a budget
Then repair it yourself.

Not much that can go wrong.
Get the correct solenoid.
The symptons proove to me, its the (green) solenoid.

And then you also know what the repairman did. Take a Macroshot of that solenoid.

Why should the repairman take photos? No repairplace does that usually.
Would just cost extra!

But if you find out that he did just do the filing/sanding job, then you can take action.
03-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A few years ago I picked up used like new versions of the dal wr kit lenses. I think one was purchased from KEH and the other from Roberts. I paid right around $50 each. I use them as a light weight WR option I already had the non WR 18-55 and comparable non WR telephoto.
03-18-2021, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have the money to invest in a Canon system, you could invest in some better quality lenses... the 18-55 and 55-200 can give good results in the right conditions but there's much better to be had in the Pentax lineup.
If you are not the type that could use a solder gun in a smallish component, I would sell the camera and get something like a K-5II that would not be that expensive, but would also not give you the solenoid issues in the future. Or if you want to get an improvement in the camera body, the KP is on closeout in most places, don't know about Abu Dhabi....

03-18-2021, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. have the K-50 repaired for sentimental value purposes.
2. Sell the body for parts and lenses and upgrade to a better Pentax body.
3. Sell all and move on to Canon.

Thanks for your input mate!
Option 3 is a non-starter for me personally. I have a bias and a beef with Canon. I can also attest to the fragility of some of their consumer gear through the experiences of my neighbor who had to have a lens repaired three times for getting stuck while zooming. Moral: all brands have duds, all brands break, buy what makes you happy.

There are more options to consider. If you have any interest you could acquire lenses with aperture rings and use them in green button mode and manually set aperture. This also works with an m42 adapter and AV mode using stoop down metering.

As for a more robust Pentax, I went from the k-50 to a k-3 and found it better in every way. The k-5ii series isn’t one I’ve tried but it will be better overall than your k-50 was as it has numerous advantages including 14 bit raw files and bigger buffer etc. the plain k-5 may have some small issues in Autofocus performance or metering compared to the k-50 if memory serves me.

Personally I love the ergonomics of the k-3. And I like a lot of the lens options Pentax offers. But if starting over is on the table for you; I’d probably suggest skipping the brand loyalty and looking carefully at the available gear in the used marketplace with a clear idea about what features matter to you before deciding.

Nikon F gear is cheaper than in the past due to the new Mount. Canon EF is likewise cheaper than in the past. Olympus woes as a company have driven some to sell off driving prices lower. Many older digital cameras are a bargain today compared with their original costs. There’s certainly a benefit staying with Pentax, Devil you know, ibis (unlike F and EF gear), weather sealed, great ergonomics, APSC and FF available (unlike Olympus) etc.
03-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can highly recommend the K-5IIs; I love mine. The original K-5 mark 1 had a few issues, such as the rear screen scratching easily. The K-5 and then the K-3 were designed as 'flagship' cameras. Build quality and features were top-of-the-Pentax line for their day. Even so, for beginners you can shoot in 'green' mode where the camera makes all decisions for you. I'd say you can't go wrong with either the K-5 II/IIs or the K-3 I/II. When looking at used models, keep in mind that the K-5 shutter life is rated for 100,000 clicks, but the K-3 is rated for 200,000 clicks. So, a K-3 with 100,000 clicks on it is not necessarily a bad thing.

I can also recommend the KP. There's much to like about it. High ISO noise performance is superior, and jpeg color fidelity is impressive.

I sold the Pentax 18-55mm that came with my K10D for about $30. I was never happy with its IQ. I got a Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro to replace it, which was a major upgrade.

By the way, I recently bought a Pentax AF-200FG flash to supplement the rather weak pop-up flash on the KP. If I were you, I'd hang on to it. They just come in handy.
03-18-2021, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cost to repair it yourself is maybe $30. Plus tools if you don't have them, JIS screwdrivers and a small soldering iron. I am not all that mechanically inclined but did the job in under an hour. The instructions posted on this forum are exacting and easy to follow.

Personally I would start there. If successful, all is well. If not, only then do you need to worry about other alternatives. I doubt there is much value in selling the lenses or the body as parts. The body in particular is suffering from the one issue that requires a part and that body doesn't have it. The only person who might be interested would be somebody looking for a body to use M42 glass on.
03-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pentax AF-200FG flash <$45 USD
Pentax 18-55mm <$50 USD if plastic mount "L" version, non-WR
Pentax 50-200mm < $75 USD if plastic mount "L" version, non-WR
Prices are single item, not bundled. $125 USD if bundled.
Add $25 for WR lens "L" versions.

As noted above, attempting the repair is probably your preferred option.

Steve
03-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe stevebrot is a little optimistic on selling prices above; I bought 3 of the neat little AF-200FG as new for $22 ea shipped in the last month.
The 18-55 if not wr will languish as no one really wants to buy one- you might get the $50 if you include shipping cost to the buyer.
The 50-200 is a little similar in demand, but you may get the $75.
All JMHO, and disclaimer- I've been wrong in the past.

All that said, until you actually try and someone buys, you may get more or less- selling is a funny business- you just need one guy to think it is a "good" price and Bob's your uncle.

I bought a spare Japanese "white" solenoid when it was mentioned on one of these threads, they are on ebay for $45.
Who knows when one might need one?
These are "removed" from sacrificed cameras; why--because spares are pretty much "unobtainium" from normal sources.

There is a very detailed thread on these forum as to how to do the change yourself.
I'd give it a try, just follow the instructions and take plenty of pictures yourself along the way to help in re-assembly.

$100 was/is a very reasonable charge for replacing/repairing/whatever the solenoid- if it works! Many repair shops now charge a "flat" fee of around $200 to repair a digital slr.
What was the "guarantee"?
Has it worked for the past 2 years?

Last edited by DonV; 03-18-2021 at 08:04 PM.
03-29-2021, 12:15 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Replies

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Then repair it yourself.

Not much that can go wrong.
Get the correct solenoid.
The symptons proove to me, its the (green) solenoid.

And then you also know what the repairman did. Take a Macroshot of that solenoid.

Why should the repairman take photos? No repairplace does that usually.
Would just cost extra!

But if you find out that he did just do the filing/sanding job, then you can take action.
do you have a link for that correct solenoid? is it the one found on ebay? this one?;
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
A few years ago I picked up used like new versions of the dal wr kit lenses. I think one was purchased from KEH and the other from Roberts. I paid right around $50 each. I use them as a light weight WR option I already had the non WR 18-55 and comparable non WR telephoto.
I guess I would have to bundle all these stuff and give out a good price, but shipping from the middle east costs an arm and a leg!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you have the money to invest in a Canon system, you could invest in some better quality lenses... the 18-55 and 55-200 can give good results in the right conditions but there's much better to be had in the Pentax lineup.
If you are not the type that could use a solder gun in a smallish component, I would sell the camera and get something like a K-5II that would not be that expensive, but would also not give you the solenoid issues in the future. Or if you want to get an improvement in the camera body, the KP is on closeout in most places, don't know about Abu Dhabi....
I would probably be interested in a K-5II, the KP for me is expensive and is it having a quality solenoid? are there any issues or none with that camera model?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Option 3 is a non-starter for me personally. I have a bias and a beef with Canon. I can also attest to the fragility of some of their consumer gear through the experiences of my neighbor who had to have a lens repaired three times for getting stuck while zooming. Moral: all brands have duds, all brands break, buy what makes you happy.

There are more options to consider. If you have any interest you could acquire lenses with aperture rings and use them in green button mode and manually set aperture. This also works with an m42 adapter and AV mode using stoop down metering.

As for a more robust Pentax, I went from the k-50 to a k-3 and found it better in every way. The k-5ii series isn’t one I’ve tried but it will be better overall than your k-50 was as it has numerous advantages including 14 bit raw files and bigger buffer etc. the plain k-5 may have some small issues in Autofocus performance or metering compared to the k-50 if memory serves me.

Personally I love the ergonomics of the k-3. And I like a lot of the lens options Pentax offers. But if starting over is on the table for you; I’d probably suggest skipping the brand loyalty and looking carefully at the available gear in the used marketplace with a clear idea about what features matter to you before deciding.

Nikon F gear is cheaper than in the past due to the new Mount. Canon EF is likewise cheaper than in the past. Olympus woes as a company have driven some to sell off driving prices lower. Many older digital cameras are a bargain today compared with their original costs. There’s certainly a benefit staying with Pentax, Devil you know, ibis (unlike F and EF gear), weather sealed, great ergonomics, APSC and FF available (unlike Olympus) etc.

at this point I think I might have to just score a K3 or a K5II as I do have some lenses left other than the kit lens I got. thanks! I think mirrorless is the future but yeah...

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I can highly recommend the K-5IIs; I love mine. The original K-5 mark 1 had a few issues, such as the rear screen scratching easily. The K-5 and then the K-3 were designed as 'flagship' cameras. Build quality and features were top-of-the-Pentax line for their day. Even so, for beginners you can shoot in 'green' mode where the camera makes all decisions for you. I'd say you can't go wrong with either the K-5 II/IIs or the K-3 I/II. When looking at used models, keep in mind that the K-5 shutter life is rated for 100,000 clicks, but the K-3 is rated for 200,000 clicks. So, a K-3 with 100,000 clicks on it is not necessarily a bad thing.

I can also recommend the KP. There's much to like about it. High ISO noise performance is superior, and jpeg color fidelity is impressive.

I sold the Pentax 18-55mm that came with my K10D for about $30. I was never happy with its IQ. I got a Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro to replace it, which was a major upgrade.

By the way, I recently bought a Pentax AF-200FG flash to supplement the rather weak pop-up flash on the KP. If I were you, I'd hang on to it. They just come in handy.
whoah great advice, yes I might just have to hang on to the AF200FG then, I admit I experienced a bit of a buyer's remorse when I was able to physically handle a K5 and a K3 at the time when they where all available when K50 was just released. Well, it was a great first purchase then, I guess experience is the best teacher.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Cost to repair it yourself is maybe $30. Plus tools if you don't have them, JIS screwdrivers and a small soldering iron. I am not all that mechanically inclined but did the job in under an hour. The instructions posted on this forum are exacting and easy to follow.

Personally I would start there. If successful, all is well. If not, only then do you need to worry about other alternatives. I doubt there is much value in selling the lenses or the body as parts. The body in particular is suffering from the one issue that requires a part and that body doesn't have it. The only person who might be interested would be somebody looking for a body to use M42 glass on.
Do you reckon mobile phone repairers can do it for me? I have zero skills in soldering really but I can take apart laptops and pc and re build them from scratch, how ironic isn't it?

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Prices are single item, not bundled. $125 USD if bundled.
Add $25 for WR lens "L" versions.

As noted above, attempting the repair is probably your preferred option.

Steve
thanks Steve! great advice

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I believe stevebrot is a little optimistic on selling prices above; I bought 3 of the neat little AF-200FG as new for $22 ea shipped in the last month.
The 18-55 if not wr will languish as no one really wants to buy one- you might get the $50 if you include shipping cost to the buyer.
The 50-200 is a little similar in demand, but you may get the $75.
All JMHO, and disclaimer- I've been wrong in the past.

All that said, until you actually try and someone buys, you may get more or less- selling is a funny business- you just need one guy to think it is a "good" price and Bob's your uncle.

I bought a spare Japanese "white" solenoid when it was mentioned on one of these threads, they are on ebay for $45.
Who knows when one might need one?
These are "removed" from sacrificed cameras; why--because spares are pretty much "unobtainium" from normal sources.

There is a very detailed thread on these forum as to how to do the change yourself.
I'd give it a try, just follow the instructions and take plenty of pictures yourself along the way to help in re-assembly.

$100 was/is a very reasonable charge for replacing/repairing/whatever the solenoid- if it works! Many repair shops now charge a "flat" fee of around $200 to repair a digital slr.
What was the "guarantee"?
Has it worked for the past 2 years?
I am not considering selling the K-50 body, yes it will be a funny business and I am not calloused enough to ignore email or a subsequent chargeback or freezing of my paypal and bank account. LOL

Is this the correct solenoid?
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay

I am afraid of taking apart cameras as I believe I don't have a space that has less or no dust presence at all.

There was no guarantee from the repair shop that have worked on my K-50, yep it did worked but I was really pissed off cause the symptoms were present after just a few days of having my camera "REPAIRED" in the sense that some images appear dark. I could have better off sold the K-50 for parts at that time, I hate it when my stuff breaks down.

Thanks!
03-29-2021, 04:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this the correct solenoid?

I am afraid of taking apart cameras as I believe I don't have a space that has less or no dust presence at all.
Yes, thats the correct solenoid!
see also:
DSLR Pentax bodies with solenoid - PentaxForums.com

As long as the bajonett of your K50 is covered dust is no problem.
There are several front covers, usually the white plastic version comes with the body:
This one is slightly larger than the frontpart that has to come off, so you have to lift it for a short moment,
no problem, changing a lens is the same.

The best cheap one is ebay No.: 254040249028
It is cheap, smaller diameter so when you lift the frontpart off, it can stay.

And it comes with a rear lens cover, which always is handy.

Forget about complaining about the repair, thats in the past, over and done with!
Will just exhaust your nerveous system.

You might find out what was done when you open the K50.

If the fault really came back so quickly, it seems the guy just "kind of greased the plunger",

you will see.

I remember a person in a German forum recommended "to just lift the plunger.... it would lose its magnetism"
What a childish foolish advice!

Same wrong advice by a German blogger:
Pentax K-50 Blendenfehler „reparieren“ ? florianmai.de
03-29-2021, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you reckon mobile phone repairers can do it for me? I have zero skills in soldering really but I can take apart laptops and pc and re build them from scratch, how ironic isn't it?
If you can take apart a laptop, you can take apart the camera. It is tedious but the instructions are excellent. The soldering part just takes a steady hand. If you have never done any soldering, just use some tiny wire and solder and practice a bit first. You will need a small soldering iron, solder and paste. All available at any hardware store or electronic store. I have some small practice with soldering so for me the soldering part was actually the easiest. Just follow the instructions.