Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Repairing with a new solenoid isn't too crazy, but I guess it comes down to your comfort level with that and your needs. Good luck

04-18-2021, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Why not repair it and gifted it to someone special (a kid, an old folk who wants to learn photography?)
04-18-2021, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the Infrared simulator on the K-50 but it would be more fun to have it IR converted.
04-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Alternative Idea

Or you could just buy another k-50. I see they are only AUD$499 at our Pentax store. You could almost buy 6 of them for the price of a new k3 III.

04-19-2021, 03:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'd go for the Takumar (M42) 'conversion' and just buy the PK-M42 conversion ring to enjoy all that lovely M42 glass out there (but Takumars the most, obviously). You could always decide to have it IR converted on top of that.
04-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Why not repair it and gifted it to someone special (a kid, an old folk who wants to learn photography?)
That may very well be something that I do with a camera down the road, but right now all the kids I know are either not at an age where learning photography is on their list or are too far away for me to mentor them at all (and their parents would be clueless). The older folks I know are all from camera club, so they have a surplus of their own gear.

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I'd go for the Takumar (M42) 'conversion' and just buy the PK-M42 conversion ring to enjoy all that lovely M42 glass out there (but Takumars the most, obviously). You could always decide to have it IR converted on top of that.
I do have two OEM PK-M42 adapters, but no Takumars or other M42 glass at this point. I kind of feel like the improvements for using old lenses on the K-3 iii would make me want to use such glass on that body anyway.
04-19-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to dabble in astrophotography there are lots of options for a not fully functional camera.

The K-50 would make a good astro cam. See about getting it converted to monochrome, add a filter wheel and stick a scope in front of it. If you don't want to do that using older lenses with an aperture ring for astro works. I have a broken K-500 (AF and aperture block failure) I got for a song that I use as a 3rd astro body so I can run 2 cameras with 50mm lenses on my little equatorial for some nice wide astro shots and run my 400mm on some deep sky objects.

04-19-2021, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #23

I like your idea for my K-50 as well...
04-19-2021, 11:29 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I do have two OEM PK-M42 adapters, but no Takumars or other M42 glass at this point. I kind of feel like the improvements for using old lenses on the K-3 iii would make me want to use such glass on that body anyway.
The absence of M42/Takumar glass can be overcome ;-). I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to say with the use of older glass on the K-3iii. Older glass works well on pretty much any body as far as I can tell. Anyway, good luck with the decision.
04-20-2021, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NoobOnTour Quote
I like your idea for my K-50 as well...
Or you can send the camera half the globe to my place, my K-30 is showing its age.

You are most welcome.
04-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
The absence of M42/Takumar glass can be overcome ;-). I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to say with the use of older glass on the K-3iii. Older glass works well on pretty much any body as far as I can tell. Anyway, good luck with the decision.
The ability to use Av and TAv mode without having to use the green button before firing the trigger, larger viewfinder to make manual focus easier, ability to enter an exact focal length rather than picking from the menu, and (least importantly) the ability to record aperture in EXIF data. (I doubt that I will remember to adjust the aperture dial just because I adjusted the aperture on the lens. Perhaps when it’s important for me to have EXIF aperture value, but not at random times.)

I have tried looking at M42/Takumar glass, but I keep getting hit by decision paralysis when I go to the reviews page on this site and try to pick something to start looking for on eBay. Any recommendations on a not too expensive (or perhaps downright inexpensive but fun) M42 or Takumar lens to start with?
04-20-2021, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any recommendations on a not too expensive (or perhaps downright inexpensive but fun) M42 or Takumar lens to start with?
I'd suggest one of the Tak 55s, either the f/1.8 or f/2 versions. Great performers and inexpensive. The 28s and 135s are also plentiful and affordable.
04-21-2021, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

The ability to use Av and TAv mode without having to use the green button before firing the trigger, larger viewfinder to make manual focus easier, ability to enter an exact focal length rather than picking from the menu, and (least importantly) the ability to record aperture in EXIF data. (I doubt that I will remember to adjust the aperture dial just because I adjusted the aperture on the lens. Perhaps when it’s important for me to have EXIF aperture value, but not at random times.)

I have tried looking at M42/Takumar glass, but I keep getting hit by decision paralysis when I go to the reviews page on this site and try to pick something to start looking for on eBay. Any recommendations on a not too expensive (or perhaps downright inexpensive but fun) M42 or Takumar lens to start with?
Aha, that makes sense, though I just use Av mode with my takumar lens, no green button (and when I use green button, for my K- en M-series lenses, I find it very little trouble; I automated it quickly). I can second what Paul said. I don;t have the 55-takumars myself but the images others take with them are very nice. I love my super takumar 28/3.5.
04-21-2021, 06:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I’m on @jon.partsch’s waiting list for a white solenoid, so I will do the repair and make the K-50 fully functional again before deciding on a next step, I think. Feeling sufficiently inspired to give a Takumar a try, so will probably snap one of those up here soon. (I discovered two more M42 to K adapters in a box of random stuff I bought on eBay for basically the cost of shipping. One of them is OEM. I now have more adapters than I have K mount bodies.)

Thanks to everyone who has shared thoughts, and still happy to hear more ideas!
04-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #30

Or you can send the camera half the globe to my place, my K-30 is showing its age.

You are most welcome.
I gifted my K-50 to my grandfather right the morning after the post, sorry.

He was a bit overwhelmed but tried right away^^