Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on how to put my K-50 back into use?

My first DSLR was a K-50, which I purchased in 2014 after learning through cnet reviews how many more features one could get for their dollar in an entry-level camera compared to Canikon. I was very happy until it developed aperture block in 2017. I was in Kyoto on a trip that would also take me to South Africa, and I didn’t have enough time for a repair. So I chose a K-70 to replace it. The K-70 is still going strong nearly four years later, but increased interest in sports and wildlife photography has me on the preorder list for a K-3 iii.

I don’t really need three visible spectrum APS-C bodies in my toolkit (on top of a used 645D I picked up for a song in October). The K-3 iii will be my moving subjects and travel body. The 645D will be my landscape body of choice if I’m driving somewhere and don’t have to trek too far off road to set up. (Along with the K-3 iii with a long lens for any critters I spot.) What to do with the K-50 and K-70 is my dilemma.
  1. I could try to repair the K-50 myself. I know there’s lots of great resources here on how to do that. If I don’t screw up the repair, I would probably sell the K-70, which has about 30K clicks on it.
  2. I could just use the K-50 with lenses with aperture rings (and my 55–300 PLM, but the subjects I want to shoot with that lens mean it belongs on the K-3 iii). However, one of the reasons I would like to have a second body is for shooting sports, when a wider lens would be helpful for closer action. Not sure this combo would be optimal for that.
  3. I could send the K-50 off for infrared or full-spectrum conversion and use it with lenses with aperture rings. (Infrared subjects and lenses with aperture rings seem pretty compatible.) I’d keep the K-70 around as well for the sports scenario.

The K-50 has just been collecting dust since I bought the K-70. It seems like it could still have a productive life, with or without solenoid replacement. Any thoughts about the three ideas I proposed or another idea altogether?

04-18-2021, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

2 & 3 seem very viable choices......i use mine #2 constantly and will add for time lapse activities as well
04-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
2 & 3 seem very viable choices......i use mine #2 constantly and will add for time lapse activities as well
They definitely seem the least involved from what I would have to do myself. I know that the IR or FS conversion wouldn’t come for free, but I do have a collection of lenses with aperture rings that I could use, so cost wise it’s basically just the conversion.
04-18-2021, 11:35 AM - 4 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
drop an OEM M42 adapter in the K-50 and make it your permanent Takumar rig....

04-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
drop an OEM M42 adapter in the K-50 and make it your permanent Takumar rig....
I actually acquired an odd hodgepodge of kit last autumn when someone local posted his father’s Pentax kit on Facebook Marketplace. I wanted the DA*300mm, and he listed the whole collection for a fair price for just that lens. Have sent off the K-7, grip, and Tamron 28–105 to KEH and MPB just recently. Tucked away in the camera bag he gave me everything in were two OEM M42 to K-mount adapters, and I’ve hung onto them. However, I don’t have any Takoma lenses (yet)! (Am I allowed to confess such a thing here without being banished?)
04-18-2021, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Takoma lenses
Actually, it's "Takumar", and your confession is accepted. I resisted the siren call for years, but finally succumbed. That m42 adapter will open a whole new world of LBA (lens buying addiction)
04-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Actually, it's "Takumar", and your confession is accepted. I resisted the siren call for years, but finally succumbed. That m42 adapter will open a whole new world of LBA (lens buying addiction)
Grrrr…writing on my iPad and did not notice the stupid autocorrect making a mess of Takumar. (I guess now that I know it mangles Takumar, I can be on the lookout. Or maybe I will just have to type it enough that it learns to leave it alone.)

I have looked a bit since I discovered the adapters in the camera bag, but so far have resisted…instead I’ve amassed a bunch of 645 and 67 lenses very cheaply on eBay from Japan since buying the 645D. I did at one point put together the unholy combination of K-70, 645 lens to K-mount adapter, 67 lens to 645 mount adapter, T6-2x rear converter for 67, and late 67 200mm f/4 lens. Rather slow and unwieldy combination, however, so doubt I will do it again.

04-18-2021, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was thinking about my k5 as well, it never gets used. I'm thinking a wide angle prime and only black a wide. It would be cool to have a dedicated b&w sensor
04-18-2021, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
  1. I could try to repair the K-50 myself. I know there’s lots of great resources here on how to do that. If I don’t screw up the repair, I would probably sell the K-70, which has about 30K clicks on it.
  2. I could just use the K-50 with lenses with aperture rings (and my 55–300 PLM, but the subjects I want to shoot with that lens mean it belongs on the K-3 iii). However, one of the reasons I would like to have a second body is for shooting sports, when a wider lens would be helpful for closer action. Not sure this combo would be optimal for that.
  3. I could send the K-50 off for infrared or full-spectrum conversion and use it with lenses with aperture rings. (Infrared subjects and lenses with aperture rings seem pretty compatible.) I’d keep the K-70 around as well for the sports scenario.
Well, if you don't use the K-70, then it makes sense to sell it.

Of course the K50 works fine with the PLM but otherwise?

Option 3 will not work fully but as well castrated. LiveView is very sensible for IR!

So option 1, which is cheap and easy

option2 stays "alive" but with more options

and

option 3 is working much better.

Pretty easy choice I find.

If course you possibly know that this advice would have to be expected to come from me, because I wrote the tutorials
but I just find a castrated Pentax pretty boring.
04-18-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #10

I like option 3 and would keep the K-70 as backup

I also have a K-50 around I do not use anymore since I got a KP.
My "backup plan" lies dormant until now ^^
04-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
[/LIST]option 3 is working much better.

Pretty easy choice I find.

If course you possibly know that this advice would have to be expected to come from me, because I wrote the tutorials
but I just find a castrated Pentax pretty boring.
I could very well choose option 3 initially and later come back and do the solenoid repair myself. Might depend on how well I find the converted K-50 with lenses with aperture rings. I had kind of figured that I would be working mostly with live view for IR anyway, which would mean that I don’t need to care about issues of focus issues after the conversion. I suppose I should do some more looking around at the conversion options. Seems hit or miss which Pentax bodies will be listed at places that do conversions, but that’s probably because I haven’t sought out a guide around here that covers the best places to get a Pentax body converted.
04-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are interested in repair, let me know. I'm "harvesting" white solenoids today.
04-18-2021, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
If you are interested in repair, let me know. I'm "harvesting" white solenoids today.
I've noticed your posts around this topic recently. Will keep an eye out for your progress report on how it all goes for you and may decide to pursue the repair.
04-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the same boat. My K50 suffered the same problem just before a big trip so I purchased a K70. I since repaired the K50 and keep it as a back up/second camera. I do use it some especially when I want to use two different lenses and don't want to change in the field. Now I want the K3iii, but I can't yet justify to myself why I need an even better third camera when the two I have work great for me.
04-18-2021, 06:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I was in the same boat. My K50 suffered the same problem just before a big trip so I purchased a K70. I since repaired the K50 and keep it as a back up/second camera. I do use it some especially when I want to use two different lenses and don't want to change in the field. Now I want the K3iii, but I can't yet justify to myself why I need an even better third camera when the two I have work great for me.
Fortunately for my gear acquisition syndrome (but unfortunately for my bank account), I have been able to justify the K-3 iii as I'm shooting more wildlife and sports. The K-70 is an incredibly capable camera for static subjects and passable for slowly moving subjects without distractions around them. The K-50 is still quite useful in lots of situations. If I weren't shooting subjects for which the K-70 were regularly disappointing me, I would be sticking with it like you are. (Some day I should take my K-70 to camera club and challenge the folks with Canikon bodies that are priced at that next tier above where the K-70 is to a feature-off. I mean, the K-70 should win just for IBIS, but the list is pretty darn long.)