Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2021, 08:01 AM - 7 Likes   #1

K-30 and other cameras using D-Li109 batteries: Sony NP-F external batteries?

Picking up on DrawsACircle - see here

Battery/AC adaptor question - PentaxForums.com

for the tip about the 8k mAh external LiPo battery for those of us with Pentax cameras using D-Li109 lithium batteries.
It is essential to extend the charge for some outdoor photography like astrophotography (I bought K-r for this reason) or camera trapping.
For the latter I bought K-30, really great camera for this kind of activity.
However, the original Pentax 7.4V battery will not last throughout the night until the morning because the power has to be on all the time, nor would even 4 AA Eneloop rechargeable batteries, especially if outside it is cold.
There is the need of enough battery power for the motion sensor to trigger the camera, and itís not good enough the camera is just on.
As there is no official Pentax external battery pack for the K-30, I came up with the following solution:
NP-F battery for Sony (I use DSTE NP-F750 with 5k mAh 7.4V 37Wh) on NP-F adapter plate + 5.5x2.1 female to 4x1.7mm male adapter connector + D-Li109 battery dummy, and it works like charm for days in a row (x5 time of original battery).
This solution could work for astrophotographers too, for those of us owning Pentax K-30, K-50, K-70, K-500, K-r, K-S1, K-S2, K-2, all using D-Li109 batteries.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
08-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like valuable solution. Should work for KP as well, right?
08-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #3

A useful work around and personally I would use the DC Jack port and seal off with bluetack to maintain WR of the camera. A 12 volt battery with tin can inverter to plug adaptor supply into. Probably as many different ways to do this as photographers who need it.��
08-20-2021, 12:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
With the KP you'd need to leave the battery door open … might be a WR sealing issue … should be good with the K-70 which is designed to use an adaptor like this (no DC jack), don't know about the others.
EDIT : The KP DOES NOT work with a Pentax-original 'dummy' battery (for the K-70), so may be problematic with a third-party item as well.

Last edited by kypfer; 08-20-2021 at 07:32 AM.
08-20-2021, 03:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
An interesting solution.. Thank you for sharing.
08-20-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Hi, as for K-P see here
Glorich K-AC128 D-AC128 K-AC109 K-AC168 D-DC128 Replacement AC Power Adapter Kit for Pentax K30 K50 K70 K-r K2 K-S1 and K-S2 Digital SLR Cameras,D-Li109 replacement(but not compatible with Pentax KP): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
it says although it uses the same d-Li109 batteries as K-30 K-r etc. the K-AC128 power kit will not work with K-P. So the dummy cannot be used. K-P uses K-AC 167 power kit instead, so without a dummy d-Li109 battery. Therefore I do not think the NP-F solution will work for K-P.
Btw, the battery door with K-30 and K-r will close because there is a removable rubber plug to let the cable go through.
08-20-2021, 07:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by strixaluco01 Quote
Hi, as for K-P see here
Glorich K-AC128 D-AC128 K-AC109 K-AC168 D-DC128 Replacement AC Power Adapter Kit for Pentax K30 K50 K70 K-r K2 K-S1 and K-S2 Digital SLR Cameras,D-Li109 replacement(but not compatible with Pentax KP): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
it says although it uses the same d-Li109 batteries as K-30 K-r etc. the K-AC128 power kit will not work with K-P. So the dummy cannot be used. K-P uses K-AC 167 power kit instead, so without a dummy d-Li109 battery. Therefore I do not think the NP-F solution will work for K-P.
Btw, the battery door with K-30 and K-r will close because there is a removable rubber plug to let the cable go through.
I can now confirm, the KP doesn't work with the dummy battery for the K-70 fitted (Pentax original equipment). The dummy battery will neither latch into place nor will it power the camera if held in place manually. Possibly something to do with the little protrusion around the "T" contact on the original battery which is not present on the dummy.
Sorry for any confusion

08-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everybody for clarification regarding KP. Saved me some money and time.
08-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by strixaluco01 Quote
Picking up on DrawsACircle - see here

Battery/AC adaptor question - PentaxForums.com

for the tip about the 8k mAh external LiPo battery for those of us with Pentax cameras using D-Li109 lithium batteries.
It is essential to extend the charge for some outdoor photography like astrophotography (I bought K-r for this reason) or camera trapping.
For the latter I bought K-30, really great camera for this kind of activity.
However, the original Pentax 7.4V battery will not last throughout the night until the morning because the power has to be on all the time, nor would even 4 AA Eneloop rechargeable batteries, especially if outside it is cold.
There is the need of enough battery power for the motion sensor to trigger the camera, and itís not good enough the camera is just on.
As there is no official Pentax external battery pack for the K-30, I came up with the following solution:
NP-F battery for Sony (I use DSTE NP-F750 with 5k mAh 7.4V 37Wh) on NP-F adapter plate + 5.5x2.1 female to 4x1.7mm male adapter connector + D-Li109 battery dummy, and it works like charm for days in a row (x5 time of original battery).
This solution could work for astrophotographers too, for those of us owning Pentax K-30, K-50, K-70, K-500, K-r, K-S1, K-S2, K-2, all using D-Li109 batteries.
A better solution for people not having a dedicated LiPo charger with balancer