Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian
kjfishman's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 617
Battery Problems or body problem?

My K50 won't power on with fully charged OEM battery or after market battery but will power on with the AA adapter with only 6.2 volts. Any thoughts or sugestions?

01-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 658
You have a second camera? Do the batteries work there? what is the voltage?
01-17-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 9,627
Check/clean the contacts in the camera body.

With the AA batteries installed set the battery type for the OEM battery, shut down, then change the batteries.
01-18-2022, 03:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Posts: 2,539
Don't have a K-50 to look at, but does the AA adaptor use a different set of contacts in the camera than the DLi109 battery? … if so, try cleaning the DLi109 contacts (don't sand/file them!).
You quote 6.2v for the AA adaptor … does this mean you have a volt meter? If so, check the voltage on the two "normal" batteries. It's not unknown to have two faulty batteries!
The appropriate terminals are marked + and - … you can ignore the T and D terminals for this exercise.
My recently charged OEM DLi109 reads 8.33v off-load, despite quoting 7.4v on the label

01-18-2022, 06:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 1,365
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My recently charged OEM DLi109 reads 8.33v off-load, despite quoting 7.4v on the label
That's just about right for a fully-charged battery (Battery Capacity / Discharge Measurements - Pentax & Canon OEM versus Generic - PentaxForums.com)
01-19-2022, 05:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian
kjfishman's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 617
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
You have a second camera? Do the batteries work there? what is the voltage?
The OEM style are reading 8.2V and the AA 6.4

---------- Post added 01-19-2022 at 06:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Check/clean the contacts in the camera body.

With the AA batteries installed set the battery type for the OEM battery, shut down, then change the batteries.
That did the trick thank you!
02-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,846
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
My K50 won't power on with fully charged OEM battery or after market battery but will power on with the AA adapter with only 6.2 volts. Any thoughts or sugestions?
AA rechargeables have more mA and a deliver more power

An old original Li-Ion and particular almost all older 3.rd party batteries will have maybe 8.2V but not much power (mA)

Also 3.rd party batteries cheat, the lack the temperature sensor and thus could not be charged with the orig. charger.
But the trick the orig. charger with a resistor having the same impedance as the temperature sensor.
That is why 3.rd party chargers have only 2 contacts instead of 4.

Contacts need of course to be clean.
But if AA's work a good Li-Ion should do so as well. If not it is old and has aged.

02-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,846
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Don't have a K-50 to look at, but does the AA adaptor use a different set of contacts in the camera than the DLi109 battery?
Same contacts of course!
03-31-2022, 05:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,063
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
AA rechargeables have more mA and a deliver more power

An old original Li-Ion and particular almost all older 3.rd party batteries will have maybe 8.2V but not much power (mA)

Also 3.rd party batteries cheat, the lack the temperature sensor and thus could not be charged with the orig. charger.
But the trick the orig. charger with a resistor having the same impedance as the temperature sensor.
That is why 3.rd party chargers have only 2 contacts instead of 4.

Contacts need of course to be clean.
But if AA's work a good Li-Ion should do so as well. If not it is old and has aged.
The extra ‘power’ {amperage} of the AA batteries might make a difference in this case.
04-01-2022, 05:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,846
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The extra ‘power’ {amperage} of the AA batteries might make a difference in this case.
That is very possible.
4 x AA's with 1900mAH deliver more than the Pentax Li-Ion D-LI109.

But that is mainly how long they can deliver.

Otherwise 2400mA/h would have even more power which they don't

It is the way good AA's (or Lithiums) deliver their power or... how they don't go "down onto their knees".

But the original Pentax Li-Ions are very good. Not so 3rd. party versions for many reasons.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, battery, camera, k-30, k-50, oem, pentax k30, pentax k50, power
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery problem or Charger Problem? troika Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 10-01-2018 09:59 AM
Solving AF Problems - 8 Common Autofocus Problems - And Their Solutions interested_observer General Photography 17 04-27-2016 03:06 AM
Anybody with mirror problems with K30? Focus problems. simbon4o Pentax K-30 & K-50 14 08-28-2013 10:39 PM
K-5 battery problem? camera problem? user problem? imtheguy Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 39 11-03-2010 06:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top