Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2022, 07:39 PM   #1

Fixing a K-50 Dark Exposure

Where is the best place to send my K-50 to get the Dark Exposure issue fixed? I love my Camera and I am not ready to buy a K-70.. I have a K-50 and K100D.

05-25-2022, 05:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I had precision camera replace my K50s solenoid. Cost was somewhere just under $200. About a year later it failed again, they had used the same solenoid type. I use it in manual/green button mode now. Was not worth the cost for them to do. Some people have been able to find a good solenoid (white one as I remember, not sure) and replace it themselves, my essential tremor precludes that. My personal opinion is that the K50 is a great camera, I love using it, but money to repair it is better spent in a newer model. Ymmv.
05-25-2022, 05:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a thread here somewhere that describes the diy process. If diy isn’t your cup of tea, I would either keep the body to use with lenses with aperture rings in manual mode or source a white solenoid and get a local electronics repair person to follow the diy steps. Check the local camera clubs and stores for contacts and if that fails look for a local maker space where people with electronic expertise hang out.
05-25-2022, 07:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

see the "sticky" threads in this sub-forum.
The diy repair isn't difficult. I would offer to fix you up myself if you're not into diy but I'm the wrong side of the pond. Any competent "techie" or amateur can do it.

05-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Let someone else confirm. I think the k100d uses the good solenoid. If you like the k50 the k100d can be donor. You would be down to one camera but it would be the better of the 2
05-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There is a thread here somewhere that describes the diy process. If diy isn’t your cup of tea, I would either keep the body to use with lenses with aperture rings in manual mode or source a white solenoid and get a local electronics repair person to follow the diy steps. Check the local camera clubs and stores for contacts and if that fails look for a local maker space where people with electronic expertise hang out.
or - as Redboat24 suggested, use an old film lens which allows you to set the aperture at the lens.
I, myself, got a FA 28-105 lens specifically for that reason.
In general I prefer a lens with in-lens focusing motor - but this works.
I also have some Takumars which I use sometimes.
05-25-2022, 12:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
or - as Redboat24 suggested, use an old film lens which allows you to set the aperture at the lens.
I, myself, got a FA 28-105 lens specifically for that reason.
In general I prefer a lens with in-lens focusing motor - but this works.
I also have some Takumars which I use sometimes.
You lost me. “Or”? That’s in the text you quoted. Use a lens with an aperture ring and shoot in manual.

05-25-2022, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
Let someone else confirm. I think the k100d uses the good solenoid. If you like the k50 the k100d can be donor. You would be down to one camera but it would be the better of the 2
yes, K100d has even 2 white solenoids. One from the pop-up flash can be simply excanged witk K-50's green solenoid. Did not try myself, but IMO K100d will work fine (even without flash).
Replacement of solenoid in K-50 is easy if derwud knows basic soldering and has proper screw driver
05-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes. Use a lens with an aperture ring and shoot in manual.
05-25-2022, 06:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
I want it fixed, I love my K-50. I want to take more shots with it.. I can build cars and electronics.. I will read through the DIY again.. I am in the process of getting ready to move and just don't have space or time.
05-25-2022, 08:13 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by derwud Quote
Where is the best place to send my K-50 to get the Dark Exposure issue fixed? I love my Camera and I am not ready to buy a K-70.. I have a K-50 and K100D.
I recently purchased a k50 as my first Pentax. I purchased the K50 having watched a number of videos on Youtube and decided to get one. I mainly use my cameras for action sports, and although the kit lenses are loud and slow with auto focus with my purchase, I was able to get quite good shots with it. After a month without use, my next group of photos were all dark. Ill say that I'm quite displeased as the camera had close to 1000 actuations when purchased, and I barely got use from it when this dark exposure issue happened. I was considering upgrading prior to my experience, but have to say I dont think Id consider another Pentax based on my short experience. I can appreciate the color science and would get another, but I'm very disappointed with what I have seen in such short time with my camera. I paid more than what its worth based on the low usage, but now its a paperweight. Does anyone have suggestions for repair?

Huge disappointment
05-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome. The solenoid issue and its repair is well documented. Read here, as to repair: Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

I'd add that it's not uncommon for "low use" cameras to fail, possibly because they sat around and got too little use. There's some evidence that lack of use can have a role in the failure rate. I'd not be surprised if the seller noticed some issues and therefore decided to sell. I presume you do not have a warranty or right of return with your purchase?

Your camera is not, of course, a paperweight and can, in the mean time, be used with older manual lenses quite easily. But, I would still recommend carrying out the repair procedure as that will give you a fully functioning camera for, hopefully, many years to come.
05-26-2022, 04:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
I am going to try it... Finding good parts may be the issue though.. I do not want to gut my K-100 though, just in case I screw it up badly.. I may still get the K-70 anyway, just because new stuff..
05-26-2022, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
Better than that: you can take the flash console solenoid out of the K100 that's usually also one of the white ones, replace the green one in the K50, put the green one back into the K100 as the flash solenoid, where it will probably work ok (or maybe with a little filing see threads on filing etc to make these green ones work as a temporary fix).
05-26-2022, 02:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Better than that: you can take the flash console solenoid out of the K100 that's usually also one of the white ones, replace the green one in the K50, put the green one back into the K100 as the flash solenoid, where it will probably work ok (or maybe with a little filing see threads on filing etc to make these green ones work as a temporary fix).
That’s a great idea.