Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
I can't answer the question directly. I own both a K30 and a K50. Both have been replaced in regular use by later cameras, but I keep them as reserves. The K50 suffered ABF and I repaired it with a white solenoid which continues to work correctly. Prior to the failure both cameras were used for one or two shots every week, which didn't stop the K50 failure. Since doing the repair on the K50 I have been less regular in checking the K30 but, so far, after well over a year or more, it continues to work correctly when asked.
Well, that's quite interesting.

I wonder if a poll asking whether a) failed after inactivity, b) failed after regular use, and c) non-failure after inactivity is worth doing?

Anyone know how to do a poll?

08-14-2022, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Anyone know how to do a poll?
I think that we put a bit too much trust in the polls on this particular issue or we expect them to answer the questions they're not able to. If we want to survey the failed cases only - then it's fine.
But as it was pointed out many times, the biggest bias is that most users with non-failed cameras won't take part in the poll in the first place, because they don't have a reason to seek information about the failure they haven't experienced. Thus, we won't get the true answer to the "what % of the cameras fail" question (if that was the question).
Having said that, as a K-50 user I'm also curious about the details and will happily take part in the poll.
08-14-2022, 06:36 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
I think that we put a bit too much trust in the polls on this particular issue or we expect them to answer the questions they're not able to. If we want to survey the failed cases only - then it's fine.
But as it was pointed out many times, the biggest bias is that most users with non-failed cameras won't take part in the poll in the first place, because they don't have a reason to seek information about the failure they haven't experienced. Thus, we won't get the true answer to the "what % of the cameras fail" question (if that was the question).
Not only users with non-failed cameras but as much users with cameras that failed.

It was different in the German pentaxians-forum.
Because it is a "German-language-only" forum and Pentax in Germany, Austria and Switzerland has a very small market-share, this forum has

what could be called very loyal and very interested members.
Loyal (similar to here) also in respect that members very quickly get very upset if anybody questions something about their brand.
There is another very well know forum, the DSLR-Forum, but for all brands. Pentax is bashed there on a regular basis so that Pentaxians

retreated to the Pentax-only forum.
So when the poll started, all those who had no problems for sure voted!
The information of the poll went to all members!

Having said that, as a K-50 user I'm also curious about the details and will happily take part in the poll.
I think the time for another poll is gone. The K30 and K50.... although still good cameras... are nowhere in focus as it used to be.
Not even the great K-S1 or K-S2 anymore, although they can deliver in their way as well as the K-70.

The K-70 is of interest and new K70's won't suffer anymore from that problem.
I think the class action lawsuit filed May 2020 and reports here on the forum got Ricoh moving to do the 2.nd modification
and they finally got it. They could have "got it" much much earlier on, it would have been easy.
08-14-2022, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Not only users with non-failed cameras but as much users with cameras that failed.
Here's where I have some doubts, although nothing more than a "hunch" - I think that there might be a group of users who were forced to seek information (and ended up in a poll) after their cameras failed. In the non-failure group, there was no such driving force. Anyway, it's just my side-note.

I think the time for another poll is gone.
I guess you're right. I had bought my K50 in 2016 so quite late and I already moved on to the KP. For the majority of the K30/50 users, the issue ceased to be that important.

08-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For the majority of the K30/50 users, the issue ceased to be that important.
Only if they stopped using the camera. There must still be a large number of users still wondering if or when their camera is going to fail.

08-14-2022, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Only if they stopped using the camera. There must still be a large number of users still wondering if or when their camera is going to fail.
That partly includes me - mine K50 still works but I use it far less after upgrading to KP. What I mean is that it's been six years after the K50 was discontinued and the older batches (or the K30) will soon reach 10 years of age. At that age, any camera can fail for numerous reasons (or at least it is far more likely).
08-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #37
Forum Member

I have had two K50's fail due to the aperture block problem. The K50 I am still using just developed the symptoms but I can still use it as it as not completely failed. If if were not for known failures with the K70 I would get one of those but am too gun shy now. Might end up with a used K3 or K3ii or just stop using Pentax. I am still thinking about what to do. I know i can use he K50 with lens that have an aperture dial setting and the newer 55-300 plm lens so that is an option for me as well.

08-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grcolts Quote
I have had two K50's fail due to the aperture block problem. The K50 I am still using just developed the symptoms but I can still use it as it as not completely failed. If if were not for known failures with the K70 I would get one of those but am too gun shy now. Might end up with a used K3 or K3ii or just stop using Pentax. I am still thinking about what to do. I know i can use he K50 with lens that have an aperture dial setting and the newer 55-300 plm lens so that is an option for me as well.
After having had a K-30, which developed “dark image syndrome”’after several years, I purchased a KP to avoid having that problem again, but
I HAVE SEEN NO EVIDENCE THAT THE LATEST VERSION OF THE K-70 STILL HAS THAT PROBLEM.
09-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #39

I had my K50 new in 2015 and used it pretty often, always with AA batteries. Up until 2020 I have taken about 75k shots, but when lockdown happened, the camera was locked in the closet and the solenoid failed.
09-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom1212 Quote
I had my K50 new in 2015 and used it pretty often, always with AA batteries. Up until 2020 I have taken about 75k shots, but when lockdown happened, the camera was locked in the closet and the solenoid failed.
And did you repair it?
I think it is worth it.
09-13-2022, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #41

Yes I did.
I knew it was happening to other owners, but for a long time I thought that my camera was immune to it.
After seeing first dark photo I went on ebay and got myself a white solenoid.

Repairing it is definitely worth it.
11-02-2022, 06:01 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I HAVE SEEN NO EVIDENCE THAT THE LATEST VERSION OF THE K-70 STILL HAS THAT PROBLEM.
And then the question is: Where can we buy solenoids that are used in the latest version of K-70?
11-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
And then the question is: Where can we buy solenoids that are used in the latest version of K-70?
Difficult maybe. The UK Pentax John Pye doesn't ship abroad and is the only one I know for sure.
So just find the white Japan DSLR solenoid, it isn't that difficult.

Foto-Maerz Hamburg being one of the two official German repairshops does ship it but only within Germany. And they only ship via UPS and cash on delivery so you almost can buy the Japan-DSLR-Solenoid for this money.

Last edited by photogem; 11-12-2022 at 10:29 PM.
11-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it isn't that difficult.
Hm, I don't agree ;-) But I have an older *istDS with a working flash I am never going to use..........
11-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
So just find the white Japan DSLR solenoid, it isn't that difficult.
Hm, I don't agree ;-) But I have an older *istDS with a working flash I am never going to use..........
So actually it is very easy: You just swap solenoids, the green China-Solenoid works fine in your *ist-DS flash-circuit but just if you ever sell it mention that!