Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2023, 04:28 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyC Quote
Photogem, thank you for ALL of your time to help me. I am still pondering what to do, evaluating my finances,etc. JimC
Photogem, I have ordered the white solenoid on ebay. I have seen enough of the videos on taking the k50 apart to feel fairly comfortable. But I have not seen a video where the solenoid is actually replaced. The videos I have seen merely filed down the horseshoe component of the solenoid without removal of the actual green solenoid from the camera. I am in my mid-60's with decent eye sight so I want to use the correct approach to replace the solenoid.

It appears to me to unsolder the wires from the current green solenoid BEFORE i loosen the screw that holds it to the camera. I have read in a couple of posts the wires are "hard" to unsolder because of a wax material. Can you give me any insight into unsoldering the two wires to the solenoid? Would you leave it mounted to the camera while unsoldering?

Assuming I succeed in unsoldering the wires and removing the green solenoid, would I mount the new white solenoid to be camera prior to soldering the camera wires to it?

All advice is appreciated as I believe the removal and replacement of the solenoid will be be most difficult part of the job.

Thank you, JimC

06-01-2023, 04:43 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears to me to unsolder the wires from the current green solenoid BEFORE i loosen the screw that holds it to the camera.
Yes, for sure before you loosen the screw!

I have read in a couple of posts the wires are "hard" to unsolder because of a wax material.
There is no waxmaterial but just some red laquer which is only on the screw itself, not on the soldering pins or wires!
Was this in our forum? Normally I know about such posts and would have answered them

The solder used by Ricoh is simple normal melting solder. Nothing to worry about.

Can you give me any insight into unsoldering the two wires to the solenoid? Would you leave it mounted to the camera while unsoldering?
Yes!

Assuming I succeed in unsoldering the wires and removing the green solenoid, would I mount the new white solenoid to be camera prior to soldering the camera wires to it?
Yes.

All advice is appreciated as I believe the removal and replacement of the solenoid will be be most difficult part of the job.
It actually is much more simple than it looks like.
Just make sure you have a fine solderingtip and good pliers

Just follow my tutorial:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
06-01-2023, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Yes, for sure before you loosen the screw!

There is no waxmaterial but just some red laquer which is only on the screw itself, not on the soldering pins or wires!
Was this in our forum? Normally I know about such posts and would have answered them

The solder used by Ricoh is simple normal melting solder. Nothing to worry about.

Yes!

Yes.

It actually is much more simple than it looks like.
Just make sure you have a fine solderingtip and good pliers

Just follow my tutorial:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
Photogem, THANK YOU!!! I will report back when I finish. Or sadly if I get stuck and need to post another question---I hope not!! I will try to find where I read about the wires being hard to unsolder because of a "wax" like substance. Again, thank you greatly for your time and advice. JimC
06-02-2023, 07:54 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photogem, THANK YOU!!! I will report back when I finish. Or sadly if I get stuck and need to post another question---I hope not!! I will try to find where I read about the wires being hard to unsolder because of a "wax" like substance. Again, thank you greatly for your time and advice. JimC
Good luck!

09-18-2023, 04:00 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
I noticed on eBay a vendor named potmano from Japan is offering what looks like NOS Alps / Matsushita solenoids that supposedly works with the K30/50 style cameras. Has anyone used this vendor with success? Asking for a friend.
09-18-2023, 04:04 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Itbejames Quote
I noticed on eBay a vendor named potmano from Japan is offering what looks like NOS Alps / Matsushita solenoids that supposedly works with the K30/50 style cameras. Has anyone used this vendor with success? Asking for a friend.
He isn't from Japan but USA (Riverside, California) and fully reliable.
09-18-2023, 06:58 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
He isn't from Japan but USA (Riverside, California) and fully reliable.
Many thx for quick reply. I have a K70 which I really like. Not sure of the manufacturer date or if it has the more reliable solenoid. I’m thinking of buying this as insurance.

09-18-2023, 11:05 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barso Quote
Sorry to hear about your issue, I know what it's like when a camera fails.

There are others on here who know more than me about Pentax dslr's but one thing we will agree on is NOT to touch a replacement green solenoid.
From the K-30 up to the K-70 all have green solenoid issues except that the K-70 from 2021 are supposed to be ok......but I stand to be corrected if I've got the year wrong.
I would agree with that as I had my K50 repaired by CR Kennedy (the official Pentax supplier) in Australia and about 18 months later it failed again, so I won't bother to repair it at all.

The closest camera to the K50 is the K70 but I ended up buying a Pentax K-S2 which is a sort of lateral upgrade to the K50 for around $250. Great camera to use and fantastic image quality.

Pentax K-S2 Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews
09-20-2023, 09:58 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I would agree with that as I had my K50 repaired by CR Kennedy (the official Pentax supplier) in Australia and about 18 months later it failed again, so I won't bother to repair it at all.
This is the typical symptom for them having installed the same solenoid again.
That was the only option for an official repairshop.
09-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #40

See my recent post "Aftermarket Green/Blue Aperture Solenoid Success Thread"

I have had good success with the aftermarket green solenoid from ebay seller chmcy2012.
Operating over 1 year without issue.

There are several videos on YouTube to guide you through the process.

10-22-2023, 03:39 AM   #41
Pentaxian

hlef waiting for a PLM kit lens

The closest camera to the K50 is the K70 but I ended up buying a Pentax K-S2 which is a sort of lateral upgrade to the K50 for around $250. Great camera to use and fantastic image quality.

Pentax K-S2 Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I'm sorry to report that my K-S2 has now suffered the same fate as my K-50. All images are dark so I assume it is also a case of aperture block failure. Lucky for me, the shop offered a three month warranty so I sent it back in for a refund. My K-50 is still on the back shelf waiting for a PLM kit lens to be released.
10-30-2023, 01:15 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-50 is still on the back shelf waiting for a PLM kit lens to be released.
Not to be nit-picking, but it's not a PLM lens that will be the cure for ABF, but a lens with the KAF4 lens mount that will do the trick. PLM just refers to the focus motor.

FWIW, I'm waiting for a KAF4 kit lens for my K30 and K50, though both are so far still working.
10-30-2023, 03:54 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by allanmh Quote
Not to be nit-picking, but it's not a PLM lens that will be the cure for ABF, but a lens with the KAF4 lens mount that will do the trick. PLM just refers to the focus motor.
Very true!

It is KAF4 which works without using the solenoid (or steppermotor in more expensive Pentax DSLRs) for aperture-control.
A very fast action it is as well.

PLM stands for pulse motor. Again, if the lens elements are very light, than this pulse motor can focus very fast,
so PLM + KAF4 allows very fast focusing.
10-30-2023, 08:02 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by allanmh Quote

FWIW, I'm waiting for a KAF4 kit lens for my K30 and K50, though both are so far still working.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the advice. I know what to look out for now. What is the key diffrence between the current mount and KAF4?
10-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't know that. Thanks for the advice. I know what to look out for now. What is the key diffrence between the current mount and KAF4?
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com