Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2023, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

K50 in 2023?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a budget Pentax camera. Currently, I'm using an Xpro 2 with a variety of Fujinon primes. But after selling my Pentax Q to fund my first fuji, Pentax never really left me. It was always there whispering in my ear like Voldermort calling out to Harry.

There has been a lot of K30 and K50's in my surrounding area with varying lens included, 18-55 and 50-200 or even the non-plm 55-300 I believe both the kit DA lenses which are perfect I don't plan on spending any more money on it as it would really be just a fun, trying-things-out kind of camera. I have had no experience with screw-type focus lenses. Would these perform just fine? I don't really mind the sound. I do have a couple of the FA plastic lenses which I think are still compatible to the camera and I love them for the light weight, internal zoom.

All in all, would you recommend this setup for the modern day?

What do you guys think about the DA 18-135? (I've had a horrible experience with the fuji 18-135)

Are the sigma alternative zooms any good?

Prices vary from an attractive £150-180

06-10-2023, 05:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite a number of K30 and K50 cameras suffer the aperture solenoid issue. If that does not scare you, then have at it.
See here for more information:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com
06-10-2023, 05:31 AM   #3

I just picked up a used K50 in Like New from MPB for a song. They have one in excellent condition for $149 right now. I got mine with DA 18-55 and DA L 50-200 lenses. I’m sending the 18-55 back because it isn’t working properly. I replaced it with a Sigma 17-70. Much better lens as far as I can tell. So far I have no complaints. With the prices of the K-30 and K-50 I wouldn’t hesitate. In my search moving from a K-50 (That will do everything this amateur hobbyist needs.) added a few hundred dollars to the camera body purchase which I thought wasn’t necessary for me. I don’t know much so my opinion isn’t worth a ton, but I’m happy, so far.
06-10-2023, 05:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess the question is if you would feel comfortable replacing a broken solenoid -- or if you have someone who could replace it for you. If you can do that, I wouldn't hesitate for an instant. The cameras give nice results, but the downside is that many develop a dark frame issue and there is only one real fix for it.

One other camera to looks at that seems to have nice prices (and the same solenoid issues) is the K-S2, which is a small camera, but includes a tilt screen that isn't present on the K-30 cameras.

06-10-2023, 05:55 AM - 3 Likes   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5IIs would be the 'bargain' camera I would hunt for - same sensor as in the K-30/50, but in a better-built body...

paired with a DA 18-135mm zoom - awesome walk-about rig...
06-10-2023, 06:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 is a great camera except for the solenoid issue. K-3 is my personal choice for a budget camera: 24mp, fully compatible with the latest lenses (as is the k-50), battery grip capable including AA power options, flash, rugged, great feel in the hand, top lcd for quick exposure info, quiet shutter, long shutter life, etc. but that’s not saying the k-50 is worthless - I’m just expressing my own preferences. The k-5 series is also quite good but the earliest models differ from some autofocus issues in artificial light and the original k-5 isn’t able to work with the kaf4 lenses aperture control system. This last point is only important in the case where you plan to use a lens like that which you need to shoot not wide open.
06-10-2023, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

As others have said, the K50 is fine so long as you accept the risk of the aperture block failing. Mine did, and I repaired it myself - you need care, the correct replacement solenoid, and some soldering ability.

I rarely use the 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses, I eventually settled on the 18-135mm and HD DA(non-plm) 55-300 as the normal lenses I carried. I've moved on to the K-3ii and K-1ii for most things, and upgraded a couple of lenses, but the 18-135 is still my go to walkaround APS-C lens. The screw drive focus is relatively noisy, but the DC motor in the 18-135 is much quieter.

Last edited by nicolpa47; 06-10-2023 at 06:34 AM.
06-10-2023, 06:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Elias Paniki Quote
Hi,

I'm in the market for a budget Pentax camera. Currently, I'm using an Xpro 2 with a variety of Fujinon primes. But after selling my Pentax Q to fund my first fuji, Pentax never really left me. It was always there whispering in my ear like Voldermort calling out to Harry.

There has been a lot of K30 and K50's in my surrounding area with varying lens included, 18-55 and 50-200 or even the non-plm 55-300 I believe both the kit DA lenses which are perfect I don't plan on spending any more money on it as it would really be just a fun, trying-things-out kind of camera. I have had no experience with screw-type focus lenses. Would these perform just fine? I don't really mind the sound. I do have a couple of the FA plastic lenses which I think are still compatible to the camera and I love them for the light weight, internal zoom.

All in all, would you recommend this setup for the modern day?

What do you guys think about the DA 18-135? (I've had a horrible experience with the fuji 18-135)

Are the sigma alternative zooms any good?

Prices vary from an attractive £150-180
When I bought my K-50 new, years ago, I opted for the 18-135 as my kit lens. Rock solid, reliable, versatile lens. I've never regretted it.

The K-50 with a firmware update can use PLM lenses. The 55-300 plm is a great "fun, trying things out" lens sometimes available used. It will work even if the solenoid issue occurs. It might be worth considering spending a bit extra to get it on that basis.
06-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I can only support what the others have said. The ergonomics is very nice and the IQ is more than enough for most typical applications. I have owned the K-50 for 7 years now; after 50k clicks it still works flawlessly - it seems I've been lucky to avoid the aperture mechanism failure. If it ever happened, I'd most probably try to fix it myself.
06-10-2023, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
K-5IIs would be the 'bargain' camera I would hunt for - same sensor as in the K-30/50, but in a better-built body...

paired with a DA 18-135mm zoom - awesome walk-about rig...
I have been looking for a K-5 IIs, but they are sold fast and for 3 times the price of a K-50.
06-10-2023, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
One other camera to looks at that seems to have nice prices (and the same solenoid issues) is the K-S2, which is a small camera, but includes a tilt screen that isn't present on the K-30 cameras.
I agree. I had two K-30 cameras (near-twin of the K-50) before getting the K-S2. Apart from the ergonomics (I preferred the feel of the K-30) It's a significantly better camera - not only the tilt screen, but also no AA filter, a very sweet 20mp sensor, better AF, better processor, better SR, wifi and a number of other worthwhile features (see this comparison: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax%20K-S2&c2=Pentax%20K-50). But like the K-30/K-50, most of the K-S2 run used the inferior solenoid, so you would need to be prepared to deal with that if it happens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Elias Paniki Quote
What do you guys think about the DA 18-135?
For everyday use, it's a very good option and much better than the 18-55. See my review: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As a low-budget combination, the K-S2 and DA 18-135 would be very hard to beat.

(1/4th second handheld - how's that for great Shake Reduction?)

Last edited by Des; 06-10-2023 at 03:16 PM.
06-10-2023, 03:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have lenses with an aperture ring and are happy using the green button then the solenoid issue is bypassed. I might be talking b/s but I think the solenoid issue would have shown up by now on a camera if it's going to happen. Unfortunately there's no definitive answer for failure rate.
06-10-2023, 06:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t bother with the 18-55 and 50-200, the 18-135 is much better and used copies are cheap. The K-50 is a good camera, does have that chance of aperture block failure, the K-S2 has been mentioned also, and I would not hesitate on one, even better with an articulated screen.
06-10-2023, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Don’t bother with the 18-55 and 50-200, the 18-135 is much better and used copies are cheap. The K-50 is a good camera, does have that chance of aperture block failure, the K-S2 has been mentioned also, and I would not hesitate on one, even better with an articulated screen.
I have owned all three lenses and while I agree - if the 50-200 and 18-55 are included for next to nothing - get the camera and add the 18-135 later. The 50-200 may not be as good at 200 as other lenses but at 135 it might give the 18-135 a run for its money. The 50-200 is rated a so so telephoto mainly because the range is more than it can do well.

---------- Post added 06-10-23 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I agree. I had two K-30 cameras (near-twin of the K-50) before getting the K-S2. Apart from the ergonomics (I preferred the feel of the K-30) It's a significantly better camera - not only the tilt screen, but also no AA filter, a very sweet 20mp sensor, better AF, better processor, better SR, wifi and a number of other worthwhile features (see this comparison: Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com). But like the K-30/K-50, most of the K-S2 run used the inferior solenoid, so you would need to be prepared to deal with that if it happens.

For everyday use, it's a very good option and much better than the 18-55. See my review: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As a low-budget combination, the K-S2 and DA 18-135 would be very hard to beat.

(1/4th second handheld - how's that for great Shake Reduction?)

Great example shots.
06-14-2023, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The k-5 series is also quite good but the earliest models differ from some autofocus issues in artificial light and the original k-5 isn’t able to work with the kaf4 lenses aperture control system. This last point is only important in the case where you plan to use a lens like that which you need to shoot not wide open.
Not only the original K5 but the K5II and K5IIs sadly as well: No KAF4 lenses!

Otherwise highly recommendable. The K5II and K5IIs share the same sensor as the K50 but have a better SAFOX (X) and Prime prozessor and are superior in low light + 14bit depth and ISO starts at 80. The K5IIs is the most sought after and often fetches still high prices.

Nevertheless: Both, K30/50 are still very good cameras if repaired with the correct solenoid!
If not, high danger that they will suffer ABF