Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #2506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Downfall Quote
Hehe I know the feeling :P. But this is seriously an awsome shot! I wish I had such arcitecture to shoot you manage to capture it very well!
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Twitch and Downfall, fantastic shots from you both as always!
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
twitch and Downfall - great photos from you two as well. The standards of this thread are high indeed!
QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
... I am stuck to your shots
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
wow twitch and simon those archi BWs are fantastic!!
Thanks all

07-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #2507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, fantastic work you guys! Looks like I need to get a set of ND filters myself...

I just got back from a camping trip with my family. We camped below Uncompahgre Peak, a 14er not far from here and the da15 got to come along. I'm still going through the 800+ photos but here are a few that grabbed my attention.
Nice shots Mike, I like all of them. That last one is really good but I suspect it's not from a DA15
07-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #2508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Twitch, love the high rise shot! What did you use for an ND filter and what would you recommend? I need to buy one asap.
Thanks.

I've only ever used 1 brand of ND filter so can't offer you much of an informed recomendation, but FWIW I use a couple of B+W 49mm screw in ND filters. One is a 6 stop, the other a 10 stop. Downfall is a frequent ND user on this thread but I can't remember the brand he uses.

I do get a red colour cast with both my filters which is a common problem with all strong ND filters, and it varies from strong to barely noticable but I'm not sure why it differs shot to shot. I've been able to correct in post though.

I've posted this example before but can't find my old post.... so here's the example again of a shot with a strong colour cast

Out of camera colours with a 10 stop ND filter...

Now "corrected" for white balance (may have gone too far on the blues)...

B&W version....

Last edited by twitch; 07-17-2011 at 04:02 PM.
07-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #2509
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Great shot! Funny thing though, I thought your center watermark was a billboard

SSH! Don't teach the photo rippers anything. 90% of them would never have caught that. I think it very clever.

07-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #2510
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks.

I've only ever used 1 brand of ND filter so can't offer you much of an informed recomendation, but FWIW I use a couple of B+W 49mm screw in ND filters. One is a 6 stop, the other a 10 stop. Downfall is a frequent ND user on this thread but I can't remember the brand he uses.
Twitch, I am also interested to get a ND filter. I noticed B+W have both regular and Slim Mount, which one would you recommend?

David
07-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #2511
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mikeSF are you sure that top image you posted is from the DA15? - there is some horrid CA in the top left corner of that image. I haven't seen anything like that from my DA15 limited.

That shot looks like it is from the longer end of the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye.
07-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #2512
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Twitch, I am also interested to get a ND filter. I noticed B+W have both regular and Slim Mount, which one would you recommend?

David
Get the regular one, no need for the slim mount, and the regular has threads so you can still put the lens cap back on.

07-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #2513
Veteran Member

Get the regular one, no need for the slim mount, and the regular has threads so you can still put the lens cap back on.
Cool, I will get the regular one and saved! Look forward to seeing many more of your fantastic images. Thank you.

David
07-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #2514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
mikeSF are you sure that top image you posted is from the DA15? - there is some horrid CA in the top left corner of that image. I haven't seen anything like that from my DA15 limited.

That shot looks like it is from the longer end of the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye.
I don't see what you see in the top photo. In the last photo (actually taken with a DA40 it seems) there's some CA in upper left, but it's a very high contrast edge.
07-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #2515
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Mike, I like all of them. That last one is really good but I suspect it's not from a DA15
Thanks & oops, got a sneaky 40mm shot in there by accident.
I'll put it in a more appropriate thread!
07-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #2516
Veteran Member

Right back at you Simon! Good composition and exposure on this one. There are so many stars bursts that I cant even count them, great shot!
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Whoa, Simon, that is awesome! Starburst overload!

twitch and Downfall - great photos from you two as well. The standards of this thread are high indeed!
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
wow twitch and simon those archi BWs are fantastic!!
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Great shot! Funny thing though, I thought your center watermark was a billboard
Thanks for all the comments guys! Im glad you all liked it
I have decided to get that shot blown up on a big canvas in the near future
07-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #2517

Thanks.
I use a Hoya ND400 filter which is something between 8 and 9 stops. But I also many times stack it with my Hoya ND8 filter to gain 3 extra stops

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I have decided to get that shot blown up on a big canvas in the near future
Sounds like a great idea

Pentax K-5 + DA15 Ltd
07-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #2518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tested using my Lee "big stopper" on the DA15 f/4 limited today, I typically use my Big stopper with a Lee polariser so the exposures are even longer. Initially I used a regular sized filter ring with the glass removed to use my lee filter holder to get past the Lens hood tabs on the DA15 - but that caused some pretty heinous vignetting, so I just settled for putting a slim 49mm polariser on the DA15 and attaching the lee filter holder to that - and it worked.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:35 AM.
07-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #2519
Veteran Member

I use a Hoya ND400 filter which is something between 8 and 9 stops. But I also many times stack it with my Hoya ND8 filter to gain 3 extra stops

Sounds like a great idea

Pentax K-5 + DA15 Ltd
Very nice work

Last edited by twitch; 07-18-2011 at 04:20 AM.
07-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #2520
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I tested using my Lee "big stopper" today, though I typically use mine with a Lee polariser so the exposures are even longer. Initially I used a regular sized filter ring with the glass removed to use my lee filter holder to get past the Lens hood tabs on the DA15 - but that caused some pretty heinous vignetting, so I just settled for putting a slim 49mm polariser on the DA15 and attaching the lee filter holder to that - and it worked.
Great solution, I'm looking at the Lee system but wasn't sure how I could get it on the 15.

Last edited by twitch; 07-18-2011 at 04:20 AM.