Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13859 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #2596
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use her so much and give her so little credit. One from my front yard at dawn.

07-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #2597
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
I use her so much and give her so little credit. One from my front yard at dawn.
Very nice shot

Now all I need is a front yard that looks like that!
07-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #2598
Veteran Member

Come winter mate you'll outdo it 10 fold!!!! I still remember that photo of your backyard two winters back. Pure white.....
07-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #2599
Site Supporter

that ship shot is fantastic downfall

07-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #2600
Veteran Member

07-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #2601
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B+w 110

I just received the B+W 110! Following images are from my first attempt after trial and errors. It was definitely fun and I’m looking forward to use it more with appropriate subject and weather condition.

Thanks to Twitch, Downfall, Digitalis and everyone else who has posting your fantastic and stunning pictures with the ND filters and inspiration!

David
07-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #2602
Veteran Member

Unrelated to the DA15 (which I still lust for) but now I need to decide if I'm only going to order a ND8 (to go with my ND4) or if I'll also order the ND110. But thankfully Pentax uses small filters.

btw - these are stunning photos and I'll be copying this technique since it looks like a lot of fun.

07-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #2603
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
-
That's a fantastic image, love the colours and perfect composition, great use of the 15.

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
I just received the B+W 110! Following images are from my first attempt after trial and errors. It was definitely fun and I’m looking forward to use it more with appropriate subject and weather condition.
David
Excellent work, they're great images, and that first one is really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more....
07-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #2604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Unrelated to the DA15 (which I still lust for) but now I need to decide if I'm only going to order a ND8 (to go with my ND4) or if I'll also order the ND110. But thankfully Pentax uses small filters.

btw - these are stunning photos and I'll be copying this technique since it looks like a lot of fun.
It's a personal preference I guess, but I find the B+W 1000x is perfect for getting ~15-20s exposures. I find that's about the right amount to get movement in the sky and/or get the water smoothed, but not so long to have to use bulb and limit too much how many exposures I can take. That's important for me as I'm usually very time restricted with my daytime shooting, lunch hour is only so long when I also have to get to and from the location
07-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #2605
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It's a personal preference I guess, but I find the B+W 1000x is perfect for getting ~15-20s exposures. I find that's about the right amount to get movement in the sky and/or get the water smoothed, but not so long to have to use bulb and limit too much how many exposures I can take. That's important for me as I'm usually very time restricted with my daytime shooting, lunch hour is only so long when I also have to get to and from the location
It's highly preferable but it's more a question about whether or not I want to spend another 56 or 70 dollars on another filter with limited applications. Or stack an ND4 and ND8. But I'll still only 5 stops vs 9 stops and stacking leads to other issues.
07-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #2606
Veteran Member

True, but you should see the cost of the Lee square filter systems & matching filters, LOL, now that's expensive! I've been pricing up a Lee system with just a .9 hard grad ND filter (just resin, not even glass) and am struggling to get it under $400 .
07-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #2607
Veteran Member

Excellent work, they're great images, and that first one is really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more....
Thank you Twitch!! Looking forward to seeing more of yours as well. And thanks for your comments and fav's too!

David

Last edited by IS050; 07-24-2011 at 09:03 PM.
07-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #2608
Veteran Member

I've wanted to play with some black glass for a while but moreso after seeing some of your excellent shots with the ND110 (and Digitalis' big stopper, and Downfall's Hoya ND400).

My wife really needed a new battery for her camera so I used that as an excuse to tack on a Hoya ND400 (9-stop), oh and decent a mini tripod (to replace the cheap one that broke became a bi-pod), oh .. and a couple of memory cards. actually a few of them coz they were cheap. UPS man just dropped it off.
Hope to play with it this weekend if we dont get another drenching in Sydney.

I went for the ND400 because the B+W has a brown cast in daylight, the Big Stopper apperently tends towards blue. The ND400 is supposed to be pretty neutral as an ND "should be". At the moment i'm mostly a jpeg shooter so will give it a go with RAW+jpeg mode to start with.
07-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #2609
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I've wanted to play with some black glass for a while but moreso after seeing some of your excellent shots with the ND110 (and Digitalis' big stopper, and Downfall's Hoya ND400).

My wife really needed a new battery for her camera so I used that as an excuse to tack on a Hoya ND400 (9-stop), oh and decent a mini tripod (to replace the cheap one that broke became a bi-pod), oh .. and a couple of memory cards. actually a few of them coz they were cheap. UPS man just dropped it off.
Hope to play with it this weekend if we dont get another drenching in Sydney.

I went for the ND400 because the B+W has a brown cast in daylight, the Big Stopper apperently tends towards blue. The ND400 is supposed to be pretty neutral as an ND "should be". At the moment i'm mostly a jpeg shooter so will give it a go with RAW+jpeg mode to start with.
Sounds fun! I lived in Sydney for 10 years, it's a great city and there are so many photo opportunities.

Your comment about colour castes gave me a thought, now I'm shooting with a K-5 I wonder if I can set a custom WB and save it in my "ND10stop" user mode to counteract the colour cast automagically. I'm enjoying the user mode I can preset for ND shooting, saves me having to set and unset lots of options, but the WB would be 1 less thing to do in PP.
07-24-2011, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #2610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I went for the ND400 because the B+W has a brown cast in daylight, the Big Stopper apperently tends towards blue.
I happen to own both the hoya NDX400 and the Lee big stopper(I don't have any B+W filters they are really hard to find here in OZ) so I present this visual abomination to you.

To be honest unless you are shooting something really critical these colour casts are easy to fix in RAW - and if you are shooting something really critical in JPG then you are at the mercy of your filters, and your cameras WB controls.

All images were normalised in Lightroom 3 with a White balance setting of 5000 with 0 on the green magenta axis - lens used was the FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH limited. I personally prefer the lee big stopper because it's colour cast is clearly blue, the Hoya NDX400 on the other hand causes a drastic yellow/green shift. Comparing the exposure levels between the two I would say the Hoya NDX400 is closer to 8.5 stops and the Lee big stopper is a perfect 10 stops.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-29-2011 at 05:15 PM.